2-D level help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriGuy92

Hi everyone. I know this is probably kinda weird for someone's first post, but I need a lot of help. Basically, I'm trying to make a Super Mario Land-themed level pack for SRB2, and I have absolutely no clue what to do. I need to know, first of all, how to make a level 2-D, how to add new enemies, power-ups, etc. (if that's even possible), and other stuff like changing the level names and music. If someone could help me out, that would be great. Thanks alot!

BriGuy92 said:
Hi everyone. I know this is probably kinda weird for someone's first post, but I need a lot of help. Basically, I'm trying to make a Super Mario Land-themed level pack for SRB2, and I have absolutely no clue what to do. I need to know, first of all, how to make a level 2-D, how to add new enemies, power-ups, etc. (if that's even possible), and other stuff like changing the level names and music. If someone could help me out, that would be great. Thanks alot!

I wish I could help you but I need help with that too.

I can show you an example of what a 2-D level should look like, but I can't upload the image. All I can tell you is that 2-D levels require a lot of FOFs (Floor Over Floor).

What the others said is true. 2D levels take a lot more effort to make than 3D levels do. The SRB2 engine is based off of the game DooM, where the maps are in a top-down blueprint format. The only way you can make a floating platform is to use a Floor-Over-Floor, and believe me, you're going to need a lot of them. They aren't exactly the most comprehensive either.

Another issue that comes to mind is how SRB2 handles 2D mode. Sonic simply moves too fast at full speed for you to see where you're going, and the jump height is far too low, which greatly limits creativity. I hear that Shuffle is making something called Better Mario Mode - which will allow for more accurate power-up effects, proper jumping, and a larger variety of enemies. The only issue with this is that you'll need to make your WAD an exclusive to an EXE mod, but then again, there isn't really a better alternative, is there?

That said, stick to 3D maps for now. They're what the engine was designed for. Once you've gotten familiar with tagging linedefs and sectors, and setting up FOFs, then you're welcome to try your hand at a 2D level. Just don't expect mind-blowing results.

Well, here's an idea as to the "not jumpig high enough" problem. Perhaps give Sonic a permanent Whirlwind Sheild, or even make a "new" Sonic specifically for this level pack. (Kinda Like Nova Rocker Girl did with the SS64 mod) Anyway, it's just a thought.

I must admit, I'm glad someone made a Mario themed level pack. It would work with the skins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back