• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sky Changing Gargoyle Box!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkz

Advanced FOFing Concepts
My idea; Animated backgrounds!!! A a series of alternating sky textures to give the appearance of movement; waving water, changing weather, sunsets, etc.

My hypothesis;
A simple gargoyle box could trigger these changes with no effort on the player.

My test; I downloaded the sky changing wad from the Wiki and adjusted everything for 1 pushable object, to no avail.

Second, third, fourth test; Same setup, different actions.They all worked fine.

My result; It would seem that pushable objects can trigger some linedef executes but not all of them.

Somebody please tell me I'm wrong and that I made a mistake somewhere.

Edit; I apologize. I just realized I put this thread in the wrong place. Sorry.

Last edited:
Hmm, perhaps this is not a bad idea, but what do you mean by gargoyle box? The way I imagine it, you could have currents carry a gargoyle in a circle that triggers sky-change linedefs in a row to make the sky frames "loop" so the sky looks animated.

As for the problem with executing, perhaps you need to check the "Not Climbable" flag on your sky-change linedefs so that the gargoyle can indeed activate them. I was having a similar problem earlier today, which Prime_2 helped me out with :P

Indeed. Checking the "no climb" flag makes the sky change visible for all players. Silly me didn't think that the sky was in fact changing but only the gargoyle could see it:p

Your solution works, Ice, Thank you!!!

Anyway, a "gargoyle box" is the name given to an off-map machine that propels a pushable, like a gargoyle through various linedef triggers.

AND, here it is!!! the first ever sky animating Gargoyle Box:D

2ykCL.png

Post your wad if you get it working in an interesting way! I'd like to see such a thing in SRB2. Even a simple thing like some clouds moving across the sky would be really cool to see.

4shared requires people to make an account to download stuff, so it's a terrible way of sharing stuff.

Also, I think Neo Chaotikal once made something like this, but he used the Upper Unpegged method.

Yeah, Dumbventure had an animated static sky in one section. ...Which just goes to bring home the fact that this isn't a particularly new discovery at all. =V

Besides which, I thought it was Nev3r that originally made a test map for animated skies, not Neo Chaotikal? I can't remember anymore.

4shared requires people to make an account to download stuff, so it's a terrible way of sharing stuff.

Ah, I see. I remember something about that from a while ago. I did that because my lousy mediafire account wouldn't #@>_<*^ load. I'll reload everything when it stops whining.

As for this not being as original as I thought, it doesn't bum me out. I'm thrilled to see other people being that clever ;D

Last edited:
I love these crazy get arounds like "gargoyle boxes". As "simple" as the DOOM engine may be, there are so many effects you can do, and with a creative mind, you can combine them to do almost anything you want. I think that is sort of along the lines of what Metal96 meant in this post of his.

I just wish I had more time to implement my own ideas that I get.

Yes, I just read Metal96's post. Thanks for that. It was a good read!!! I love this engine for it's complexity in it's simplicity, it's versatility and ease of use. Using CB; PNG just makes it all that much better:D

I just thought I'd point this out, but the first animated sky rig was done by Nev3r as a test wad for 1.09.4. I, D00D64, Neo_Chaotikal, and others have used similar systems since, but the technique never really caught on. It's rather odd, really... this has been possible for a long time.

That said, my own setup for the animated sky gargoyle box used conveyors pointed in a straight line with a relative teleport at the end so I could perfectly predict what the duration of each frame would be; no issues with the gargoyle sliding perpendicular to direction of the conveyor causing each loop to be different.

I just thought I'd point this out, but the first animated sky rig was done by Nev3r as a test wad for 1.09.4. I, D00D64, Neo_Chaotikal, and others have used similar systems since, but the technique never really caught on. It's rather odd, really... this has been possible for a long time.

I think it's because the lack of frames for any animated skies. I've been thinking of make a few, but 360 degree perspective confuses me.

Why not just have an "execute linedef executer" loop tagged to a level-load executer? You can also time each frame really accurately this way (using delayed executers). It won't be as dynamic in terms of changing mid-level I imagine, but it'd work!

It's not used because making 398563469833489673496873489 sky textures for a simple 5-second animation is antifun.

You seriously overestimate how many frames would be needed for a passable animation. You could probably get by with 4-8, if you knew what you were doing.

(Also the maximum for 5 seconds would be 175, but anyway)

Shadow Hog makes several fantastic points. Besides, I've been animating since I was a child with tiny flip books and I find nothing to be "antifun" about it. When my mod is complete, there should'nt be any question as to just how much FUN I had making it:D

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back