Freedom Planet - Not a Sonic fangame. Really. I promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished the game with Lilac, Adventure mode in Normal. I'm really hyped to try the adventure with Carol just to see what changes.

CjhpIEv.png

Last edited:
Been playing this since I returned home from holiday yesterday, been enjoying it up until Stage 8, but UGH THE DIFFICULY FROM STAGE 8'S MIDBOSS ONWARDS UGHHHHH. Still trying to beat Final Dreadnaught 2's boss. There are so many things wrong with this game from Stage 8 onwards ugh

Other than that, been really enjoying it. Surprised at a few changes (not getting the Mana regen when you're invincible anymore messed up my attempted speedrun at Dragon Valley ;_;) but overall, liking it. Surprised at the length of the levels, too! I thought it'd be mostly Sonic-like in length (each level taking about ~3-6 minutes for the average non-speedrunning player).. but that doesn't seem to be the case. Apart from Dragon Valley (which my familiarity with the level from the demo got me a time of 6 mins first try, 3m40s second try ;D), each level seems to take a good 20 minutes to complete - although Final Dreadnaught's levels seem to be shorter, they're more shorter in the "this is split into multiple parts" variety, really.

Though I've spent over an hour on Final Dreadnaught 2's boss ALONE.. (though that does involve watching MegaGWolf's stream to see how he did it :T)

Though I've spent over an hour on Final Dreadnaught 2's boss ALONE.. (though that does involve watching MegaGWolf's stream to see how he did it :T)

Then you are going TO LOVE Dreadnaught 3 and Dreadnaught 4's bosses! :) Let's just say that I'm glad that there are not limited continues in this game!

I love the game, by the way. It honestly feels like a successor to Sonic 3 and Knuckles in that there's a great mix of speed, exploration, and fun gimmicks to try out on each level. And you even get some character-specific routes, mostly in the form of the different characters' unique stages, though there were a few secrets that, say, Milla can reliably reach in the shared levels.

My biggest complaint with the game is that the checkpoints seem to be extremely arbitrary (the fact that there's no checkpoints in the first section of Dreadnaught 2 is just cruel!) and that the bosses, especially the later bosses, just break the flow of the game by having you attempt to defeat a few of them for over an hour. But I honestly feel that this stems from the fact that my experience with platformers are informed largely by Sonic games, and that his bosses (even endbosses!) tend to be extremely formulaic and pattern-based. There is some of this in Freedom Planet, but it's not so reliable.
For instance, the second boss of Dreadnaught 4 has specific attacks that he always uses immediately after his pinball attack or wide energy shot. The problem is that it's almost always unpredictable when he'll use the two aforementioned attacks, which are his most devastating moves!
But defeating these guys is OH SO SATISFYING when you finally do so, a feeling you really don't get that much in Sonic games.

So yeah, the game's awesome. Can't wait for Milla's story scenario to be finalized and for Spade and Torque be become playable characters.

Then you are going TO LOVE Dreadnaught 3 and Dreadnaught 4's bosses! :) Let's just say that I'm glad that there are not limited continues in this game!

Having FINALLY beaten Dreadnaught 2's boss.. Dreadnaught 3's boss was REALLY TAME in comparison. I only Game Over'd once. (Granted, I was on one life from my previous struggle with D2's boss.. only really lost 4-7 lives to D3's boss, really)

D4's boss on the other hand.. I'm just glad that there's a different audio cue for each of his attacks. (At least, there was for Phase 2, anyway - which is the one which includes the previously-mentioned pinball and wide-energy shots)
Trying to defeat D4's Phase 3 (4?) now, and unlike D2's boss fight, this boss is actually somewhat tolerable. Doesn't excuse that he can one-shot combo you if you're unlucky, though. At least there's a checkpoint between each Phase.

D4's boss on the other hand.. I'm just glad that there's a different audio cue for each of his attacks.

Honestly, that was another one of the strategies I had to employ. I can't imagine beating this thing on mute with anything other than dumb luck thanks to the fact he's oftentimes not on screen.

Trying to defeat D4's Phase 3 (4?) now, and unlike D2's boss fight, this boss is actually somewhat tolerable. Doesn't excuse that he can one-shot combo you if you're unlucky, though. At least there's a checkpoint between each Phase.

That's an odd one. I completed the game with Lilac and the first time I faced D4 Phase 3, I was killed in about 5 seconds. The next time I tried, I just stood in place and bashed him with stationary pigtail attacks and beat him with 2 hearts remaining. It's gotta be the largest difficulty dissonance of any videogame boss I've faced. It doesn't help that sometimes your attacks cancel out that boss's attacks, and sometimes they don't seem to do so :/

I remember this game, saw the demo on sage 2010 and thought that I would play it some day, sadly I never downloaded the demo and forgot about it... Then I noticed that it got on steam. I feel a bit sad now, missed so many updates about this game....

I currently don't have the money for the full game, so I can only play the demo.
Spoilers about the game, don't open this if you don't want spoilers.
Tried to speedrun Dragon Valley:
05:34:00 Lilac
05:37:37 Carol

I've seen a LP of this game and the difficulty... there is a huge difficulty spike after Fortune Night. Character battles are very difficulty, which I can somewhat understand, you are fighting a powerful character and they want you to feel that.

The story was good, didn't like all parts of them and I feel like some characters weren't needed but it's still great.

I like this game a lot, and by that I really mean a lot(saw the game on steam, wanted to see what was going on, downloaded the demo, played it and loved the game, it was like a insta 10/10 for me never liked a game that much before, but after seeing how difficult the game gets I'm not sure if it's worth 10/10 points, it's 9.5/10 for sure.(I like difficulty, but did you see the later battles and levels ? Enemies from a miniboss are the next stage enemies ! Bosses with almost instakill moves that take away half of your hp, stuff like that.
I like how the character's mood feels a lot like the player playing the game, makes it feel like the game developers knew it was going to be difficult.

I like the stages, they take a lot of time(8 minutes and up when not speedrunning), but you don't get bored at it and there are many hidden details in every stage, you can see that there was a lot of work put in this game.

Not that many players know about this game, thought that a lot would start playing it but there are only like 5 let's plays and most of them are still at part 1.

Surprised at a few changes (not getting the Mana regen when you're invincible anymore messed up my attempted speedrun at Dragon Valley ;_;)
What did they change ?

Achievements
Did anyone see the achievements for this game ? There is one for speedrunning adventure mode and one for completing it WITHOUT loosing ANY LIVES.

The Freedom Planet soundtrack is now available for $10!

Wait a second. I'm not sure if this is true of the final game, but the latest demo's music files are sitting right there in a folder in .ogg format. If the full release uses the same system, why would anyone buy the soundtrack when the music in the game's own files is so easily accessible?

Wait a second. I'm not sure if this is true of the final game, but the latest demo's music files are sitting right there in a folder in .ogg format. If the full release uses the same system, why would anyone buy the soundtrack when the music in the game's own files is so easily accessible?

Because there are tracks that weren't used in the final version of the game.

Eh, I can kind of understand that, but I'm still not sure a few bonus tracks are worth two-thirds of the game's price.

Well, the final game might not have the music tracks in the files. Also, the soundtrack could have better quality.

Ten dollars? I get there's a lot of tracks and all, but Jake Kaufman uploads all of his game soundtracks for free, and I'm happy to donate 5 to him just out of support. I dunno, that just seems like a big turnoff.

Anyway, there are a couple of renders I made that aren't included in this soundtrack. I'll upload them once my internet stops being slow.

I'm really excited for Freedom Planet's release! I'll have to hold off on purchasing it after having to get a new notebook and all, (Hardware troubles with my main laptop.) but I'm glad it's finally released so I can buy it and play it death when I have the chance.

I am NOT paying fifteen dollars for a game that i'll beat in 3 hours!

(Removal of emphasis mine.)

But you would have gladly paid $120 + sales tax for both Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles separately when they released decades ago, wouldn't you? Both games locked-on can be beaten in less than an hour, an hour. $15 for a brand new game that's probably three times the length of the most highly praised Sonic title in its series ever is a steal.

For the love of God, when did a game's length become the ultimate measuring stick for some people in this industry? Games have ranged from short to so-long-nobody-has-time-to-beat-it-twice (Final Fantasy IV, I'm looking right at you.) since the 90's, but nobody ever complained about that back then.

I pay for fun, quality games that are made with love, and that's all that really matters to me.

Both games locked-on can be beaten in less than an hour, an hour.

Technically, they can... in the same sense that Super Metroid can be beaten in an hour. You'd have to be pretty darn dedicated to learn to speedrun S3&K in such a short amount of time without savestates or slow motion. Including cutscenes and other sequences where the timer stops, I average about five minutes per S3&K act, and I play that game literally every day. Multiply that by (22 acts in the eleven full zones + Hidden Palace + Sky Sanctuary + The Doomsday) = 25, and you get 125 minutes, or a little in excess of two hours. I'm aware that the point I'm disputing isn't very important to your argument, but I felt that it should be addressed anyway.

I think my first run of the full game was around an hour and a half, yeah. (Not including getting all the emeralds, super emeralds, or Doomsday, I skipped doing that.) You couldn't 100% the game in less than 1 hour, but the point is, even for all its content, you can run through the whole thing in one sitting pretty easily.

A game can be loaded down with content, like S3&K was, and still be beaten real fast. Although, that also means the game is more enjoyable for multiple playthroughs because of that. This is why people still play their favorites from the 80's and 90's, not just for nostalgia.

So I don't judge by long it can take me to beat it, but by how many hours of enjoyment I can extract from it. (I clocked nearly 1500 hours into Smash Bros Melee, and it's still fun!) Thinking about that, long but linear story experiences honestly don't have much lasting value for me.

Despite my S3&K-related nitpick, I definitely agree with your general point. While more length does mean more content if all other factors are equal, they often aren't, and games with longer story campaigns wind up far less well-endowed in the replayability department. Freedom Planet seems to have some design flaws that make me hesitant to cough up the $15 necessary to play beyond the first one-and-a-half levels, but it does look like the kind of game that gets more interesting rather than more boring with repeated playthroughs, as all truly good games should.

I bought the game a few days after it released. I'd followed the game's progress loosely, and never donated to the kickstarter. But when I did get my hands on the game, I was taken aback by how wonderful it was.

First off, most of the Sonic comparisons are unfounded. There are definitely elements that remind you that this used to be a Sonic fan game (did anyone else notice that the main villain has Robotnik/Eggman's mustache as his eyebrows?), but the gameplay has far more similarities to the Rocket Knight series, with a bit of Mega Man Zero, Gunstar Heroes, and Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers flavors added for extra zest.

The game is also very lengthy. I've beaten the game with all three playable characters, and it took me about 16 hours. Granted, since I bought the game early on, I had to deal with the pre-nerf versions of the Final Dreadnaut bosses, which ate up a lot of game time due to their high difficulty. The game is quite lengthy, and with three highly unique characters to play as, you'll definitely get your 15 dollars worth. Not to mention we'll be getting two free DLC characters somewhere along the line, which will increase replay value even further.

The jumping physics could be a bit better, and I have run into at least one game breaking bug (which I believe has been patched out as of yesterday), but the only large problem I have with the game is its story. The characters are all interesting enough, but the story tends to meander around and generally waste your time. Events could be much clearer, the world could be expanded upon, and transitions made much smoother. There was also a bit near the end that was such a flagrant ripoff of Cave Story that I couldn't feel an emotional reaction at all.

Having said that, I didn't really go into this game expecting it to have lengthy cutscenes at all, and I suppose it's a good bonus that the team at least tried. Plus, the game offers a handy Classic mode that takes out all the cutscenes (except very minor ones, which play out silently as in Sonic 3), and simply lets you play through the game level-by-level.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with this game, and thanks to the hard-working dev team, it is getting better by the week thanks to patches.

Last edited:
the only large problem I have with the game is its story.

I completely agree with this 100%. Like you said, the characters all have amazing personality to them and they're very enjoyable to watch interact with each other (Brevon being a true menacing antagonist? Now we're talking!) but there's barely any actual meat to the story aside from "gotta go here for specified reason." It felt like a lot more could've been done with what they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back