Avatar Restructuring and Signature Query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super mystic sonic said:
Mystic said:
This is a forum, not a video game.

The forum isn't a game? Then why are we talking about a game all the time? Why are we releasing level/chars all the time to play on a game called SRB2, then?

Those are posts, fool. The forum itself is not a game. :roll:

Zeshiro said:
Super mystic sonic said:
Mystic said:
This is a forum, not a video game.

The forum isn't a game? Then why are we talking about a game all the time? Why are we releasing level/chars all the time to play on a game called SRB2, then?

Seriously, don't be a nub.

It's a forum -about- a game.

Not a game about a forum.

That'd be some really crappy game.

High Hat 314 said:

/me downloads SRB2.(65MB)
/me starts the game.
/me see's Sonic on the screen telling you about a forum.
After his speech, you can press enter to hear it again, or press esc to quit the game.

Super mystic sonic said:
High Hat 314 said:

/me downloads SRB2.(65MB)
/me starts the game.
/me see's Sonic on the screen telling you about a forum.
After his speech, you can press enter to hear it again, or press esc to quit the game.

OH, so you're saying it's not a platformer-based FPS? That it's based on forums because it mentions them a few times in the ending, at a part where, er, the game's over?

Deary me, where have I been this whole time?[/rebuttal]

:?

Well, can we get text formatting HTML tags then? Like the marquee and the like. I mean, at least we should be able to make our sigs look nice.

The last thing anyone wants to see on this board is people making retarded scrolling and flashing sig text. We can make them "look nice" without using annoying effects like that.

I really don't understand the point of all the flashy effects. If you can't get people to click your link with plain text, why do you think they'd click a scrolling, flashing link? I mean, you don't click on popup ads, do you? They're a little more annoying, but I hate scrolling text just about as much. If you want to advertise your website or be "cool" and have a signature, you can do it in a non-annoying way.

Exactly, if no one clicks the link in my signature normally, why would they click it if I had a bright neon sign that say's "Click Me!" In 32 shades of green?

Okay.

So, you're bitching about Sepwich's bandwidth?

This is what causes this obsessive avatar crap?

How about asking someone if they had hosting to move the forums?

I have over 300 MB of space free, with unlimited bandwidth usage for the month, but instead of asking me or anyone else...

You just complain about bandwidth usage?

Geez, people. You're smarter than that.

I will more than happily host the SRB2 forums on my server.

More than gladly.

And I will more than gladly remove these pathetic avatar and sig restrictions.

More than gladly.

Anytime, peoples. Just ask.

"But my homepage is already set to these forums!"

Easy redirecting page.

That will be like, 10 KB. So it will save bandwidth.

Lostgame said:
So, you're bitching about Sepwich's bandwidth?

This is what causes this obsessive avatar crap?
Well, partly. There is also the issue of people browsing on a dialup modem (Yes, they exist), people cluttering up the forums with needlessly big images, and people just not using compression. Any reasonable non-animated 128x128 image should be less than 10 KB. If it isn't, someone is just not using their compression right. Signatures, which you mention lower down, are not even POSSIBLE to regulate through the forum panels, and would end up totally unregulated. Where would you like to draw the line? 20 KB? 50 KB? 100 KB? 500 KB? I've seen all of those violated by some idiot at some point or another. These rules and regulations allow the administration to simply not have to worry about avatar and signature filesize at all, as the board is now scripted to do all of our work for us. Considering we're already kinda low on staff, that is a blessing for all of the people in charge, as it lowers our work load a lot.

So in short, no, bandwidth is not the only reason we limit avatars to 10 KB and have no image signatures entirely. It's just a reason that's easy to blame as an excuse. If you want the REAL reason, I suggest you go surf the SRB2 MB on a 28K dialup modem.

Lostgame said:
How about asking someone if they had hosting to move the forums?
Why, we're pretty tolerant, and Sepwich has been rather nice to us.

Lostgame said:
I have over 300 MB of space free, with unlimited bandwidth usage for the month, but instead of asking me or anyone else...
The SRB2 forum database alone is currently 626 MB. That's not even counting the other stuff we host on here. What was the bandwidth statistic for the Final Demo download on Cutter again, AJ? 900 GB down in one month? The SRB2 community sucks down an absolutely incredible amount of resources. We don't want to compound it any more than we absolutely need to.

Lostgame said:
You just complain about bandwidth usage?

Geez, people. You're smarter than that.
No, it's called "conservation". We shouldn't use any more bandwidth than we need to use. I mean, why drive a gas guzzling SUV when you could drive a hybrid when gas is 3 bucks a gallon? We don't NEED fancy avatars. They don't really add anything to the forum. So instead, it's much more desirable to give everyone a lesson in image compression and save everyone download time. Who knows? Maybe they'll take the stuff they learned and apply it to their own websites, speeding up their downloads there.

Lostgame said:
I will more than happily host the SRB2 forums on my server.

More than gladly.

And I will more than gladly remove these pathetic avatar and sig restrictions.

More than gladly.

Anytime, peoples. Just ask.

"But my homepage is already set to these forums!"

Easy redirecting page.

That will be like, 10 KB. So it will save bandwidth.
While I graciously appreciate the offer, we are not currently looking for hosting at this time. For all the flak we give Sepwich for downtimes and other inconveniences, the people who give us our bandwidth here are good people, who I know and trust with the information located on their server and do their best to keep me informed as to what is happening on the server. You can buy more bandwidth and more powerful servers, but you can't buy nice people to work with when talking to the people in charge. That's priceless.

I hate to post in this thread again, since when it was actually active nobody paid any heed to my words, but I'm bored and have nothing better to do aside from beat my head repeatedly against the wall and die in a pool of my own blood while weeping for the future of mankind.

Hardly "obsessive avatar crap". As I've said at least three times before in this very same thread, 10 KB is far more than enough space to allow for the kind of avatar that is appropriate for viewing on a message board. And you know, having avatars is a privilege not to be taken for granted. Back in the day, we never had message boards. We had newsgroups. And dialup modems. Not to mention, these are 100 pixel square images. You don't need the highest of high quality. Learn how to properly compress your images, you've got more than enough space.

Moving on, nothing is "in the air" about the board. It's here, always has been, and always will be. And "invisionfree"? The last thing we need is another ezbored.

I've learn this lesson well. And people if you want to put avatars up, why not use .png? It can do what bitmaps can do but with great compression.

example.

A image at 52K in .BMP can be compressed down to 4k in .PNG and that's in MS piant! Think of what more powerful photo programs can do.

RyanHedge said:
I've learn this lesson well. And people if you want to put avatars up, why not use .png? It can do what bitmaps can do but with great compression.

example.

A image at 52K in .BMP can be compressed down to 4k in .PNG and that's in MS piant! Think of what more powerful photo programs can do.
yea, I used PNGCrush and OptiPNG to make the images on the masterserver page smaller, and more dial-up friendly

I do the same for space at the home site..(If RJ ever gets the dang thing up...) but we have over 200 comics in .png and they take only five megs.

Just as a side note: Bandwidth is no longer an issue. Sepwich barely dips above the 65% mark every month anymore. (Being a co-admin of Sepwich, I know this by fact.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back