2014, the Year of 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, not too sure if this has been answered or even asked yet... but the red crawla badnik, thats still gonna be around right? the reason I ask is that I'm working on a zone right now that features them as the main land enemy, and since they're going to become redundant (I think) I'm just curious, because if they are for the chopping block, I may as well pick another badnik now.

Or just easily add them back in the custom way.

Meadow Match serves its purpose as a warm up map and as a training map for total newbies.
This is just a redundant repetition of what's been said earlier, and argued against
Personally, I don't ever run the thing anymore on the rare instances when I play online. And that's the beauty of it. If you don't like it, don't choose it.
Meaning it's a bad map that doesn't deserve another play once you have the basics down. Like many games, it's possible to have a simple map that's ACTUALLY good and has replayability.

Now granted, if you join someone's game and they keep picking it, that's a problem. In which case host your own match. People will come.
The "if you don't like it, then ignore it" answer is possibly the worst answer for anything ever. You really should never have to outright avoid anything due to it's awful quality, not to mention not everyone can port-forward for this game (and when they do, it isn't like there's other streams of bullshit the game can throw at you that prevent you from hosting on the Master Server publicly).

I see a lot of strange things being thrown around in this thread about Meadow Match. When I originally set up 2.0's match mode, I set up Jade Valley as a sort of "default" map. Those of you who remember the match beta would probably remember that Jade Valley was prominently featured, and Meadow Match wasn't involved. I was actually planning on removing Meadow Match in 2.0.

However, there were many complaints by other people on the team that I didn't include Meadow Match despite having properly ported it for testing in small games. I included it as the last map in the rotation, and it's the last map for a reason: it's not intended to be a serious map. It isn't a "tutorial" map, it's a map for people who want to play a game of 1v1 without spending too much time trying to find the other player, or a map for people who want to blow off steam by cramming 20 players into a room that clearly isn't big enough for that. Many serious games have maps that are weird and included for that reason, and Meadow Match is ours. It is not (and will not be) balanced, and we'd be fools to try; we have serious maps for that purpose. If you want to play a map that embodies the basics of SRB2 match in a balanced environment, there is a reason Jade Valley, not Meadow Match, is the first map in the rotation and the default the game selects.

Now, if your problem with Meadow Match is that people keep playing it and only it on the master server, your problem is actually with the people who play SRB2 on the master server, because Meadow Match is only one option in our selection. Those people would be hosting some similarly stupid map if Meadow Match wasn't in the game, so I don't see why removing it would help you suddenly find a good game of match on the master server like you guys seem to be arguing it will.

I agree with Mystic, multiplayer games always have basic maps with plenty of leg room for all out fights, and they'll likely never go away; it's pointless to complain about. I remember people moaning Blood Gulch wasn't in Halo Anniversery, (Although I think it still technically is thanks to Forge.) and that's probably the most simple map in the whole game, but it wasn't any less iconic for it.

Also, not too sure if this has been answered or even asked yet... but the red crawla badnik, thats still gonna be around right? the reason I ask is that I'm working on a zone right now that features them as the main land enemy, and since they're going to become redundant (I think) I'm just curious, because if they are for the chopping block, I may as well pick another badnik now.

The red crawla will still exist as a badnik for custom levels to use, yes, but it will be unused in the main SP campaign for 2.1.

Ok cool, at least I know I can still set my levels up with them.

Or just easily add them back in the custom way.
Iceman: which still would of involved making them as a custom object with a custom slot, meaning putting them in now would still have been redundant if I don't plan to release said level for 2.0, hence why I asked.

Last edited:
You could use any badnik, blue crawlas right now, and have them replaced automatically later. But I guess it doesn't matter since the reds are still in the game's code.

Last edited:
People would only really want 'None' back due to the fact it completely lacked a spin trail, which meant you could spin without giving off a big line of color, making it more obvious where you were. I can't see any other reason for it, especially since it was the same as green anyway.

I wish lime green was added along with dark blue. I don't understand why you guys removed it from the 1.0 era.

I'm pretty sure that this isn't a very "great" question, but i know its on people's mind: Will you come out with the color black in 2.1?

Black is a confirmed color that anyone can use in 2.1 from what I've heard from a couple of people who are in to the character wadding side of SRB2.

will there be a deprived semi beta release by 2.1 like srb2 2k3?

PS:Excuse me for my language I am French

The only thing I don't like about Meadow Match is that there's too much sightline in one half of the field, which biases it toward rail. You could easily fix that by adding some cover near the open side of the pond... like maybe a tunnel or something. That would also be good for the bounce ring.

I think fundamentally it's fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back