The Universe Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeStratos

RENEWAL
Imagine what a video game would be like in 1000 years... and then make it.

"The Universe Project" is a project attempting to simulate the universe, from having a planet the size of Earth to going even farther beyond the Solar system, with several choices to make and lay out your own story in the world. You start in the beginning with nothing, and over the course of time, making your own tools, shelters, and working with others to essentially evolve. Every character is real and their actions influence the game environment, from changing the economics, to destroying civilizations, to rebuilding forests, to rebellion on the biggest of abusive monopolies. A user can make a boat to sail a small creek, or a ship across the seven seas. You yourself can advance in technology and eventually find yourself floating upon the stars of the known galaxy, terraforming planets so others can inhabit it, and discovering new sciences.

It aims to be the most ambition computer game ever, and create a new genre in video games: the Virtual Parallel Universe.

The project is intended to run in HTML5, making it easy to play from a browser, and eventually, playable from game consoles to mobile phones.

As of this post, the project has seen 36,218 signups, $4,302 out of their $15,000 total donations, and 169 backers.

I'm not sure, it seems like a Spore/Minecraft combo with worlds intended to span that of EVE Online and even farther, and is practically a Second Life or Sims sort of ordeal, a move at emulating one's own fantasy, or replaying their current life. As to the success, that's another thing altogether.

The project goes on at http://startonate.appspot.com/?ref=cm9iYnlzaGVuZUB5YWhvby5jb20_ where you can view a sort of trailer, and see some development info and a technical demo.

So, it's basically Spore but with content?

Sounds interesting enough.

-

After having watched the video and checked out the site, it sounds like a very interesting concept.
It's very ambitious though, so to be honest, I'm not expecting much will come out of it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

What an incredibly interesting idea! Now I'm not much for the 2D Isometric view and all, however, if this game will grow to 3D then I may certainly give it a shot. I'd like to see how far they go with this and if they do manage to do it, I'll certainly be there for its release.

Wow.

We'll be actually capable of simulating a universe growth from the beginning?

Dude, I can't even imagine the colossal amount of RAM and GPU for this one game!

This is nuts! Good nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back