Recording with FRAPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGally

How do I record this game without having the framerate plummet to 8? That's what always happens, even though I have a fantastic graphics card and a dual-core processor. Yet 1.1 won't even support OpenGL, but there's still a video of it (the promo video) out there.

Any suggestions? I tried forcing the game onto one processor and FRAPS onto the other, but that had no effect.

I've never had framerate lag when recording using FRAPS in OpenGL, ever...

Yes, this was before I got the 8800GT, back when I had a crappy 7300 GS, yet I still got a steady 35 FPS, it just ate a chunk out of my hard drive instead. =P

Ouch. I lowered it to 640x480, and now the framerate drops to 20. Acceptable I guess, but it really shouldn't be happening.

Are there any other possibilities?

CGally said:
Ouch. I lowered it to 640x480, and now the framerate drops to 20. Acceptable I guess, but it really shouldn't be happening.

Are there any other possibilities?

Make sure you kill off any unwanted stuff. Your RAM may be the cause, I dunno.

Doubt it. I have 3.25 GB of RAM. My computer has very high specs. I really don't like the fact that software graphics slow down when FRAPS runs, while hardware graphics don't. OpenGL mode locks up for me; it's well known how notoriously unstable it is.

It's not really that unstable, it just depends on the system running it. For example, it works on my 10 year old HP that has never had a graphic card update. Apparently, your system is uncompatable.
Anyway, back on subject, it could be your CPU. SRB2 is know to suck that dry.

My CPU is awesome. It's one of the best out there, thanks to a recent upgrade.
But this game DOES use 100% of one core. I told it to use both cores, and it doesn't. It will split 50% of the total across both cores, but not use more (which is probably a good thing, as it would otherwise kinda defeat the purpose of a dual-core system).

Still, I'd like to know how the v1.1 promo video of SRB2 was recorded. If not with FRAPS, then with what, and how?

Your PC is obviously not awesome, because many of us here can record in OpenGL at 35 FPS, hell, I can record in osu! at 90 FPS.

Post your PC specs, we will judge whether your PC is awesome, because at the moment, my own PC highly outdoes your by the sounds of it (not to sound big-headed, just felt deflating your own boastfulness about your 'awesome pc' ^_~).

FYI, no dual core CPU is 'the best out there' because there are 4 core CPUs now, which grinds the dual core technology into the dust. =P

The 1.1 promo video was recorded in 640x400 software mode with FRAPS on an AMD Athlon 2400+ CPU, 512mb of SDRAM, and an ATI Radeon 9600XT video card. Something must be seriously wrong with your system. Having dual core, one of the cores should run the game, while the other does the FRAPS encoding.. not sure why that wouldn't work.

Oh, just for the record, my settings are currently set to Full Size, 90 FPS (for osu, I have it on 35 for SRB2), Sound Device is Vista and Input is Direct Stream. Just so you can make sure your 'uber awesome pc' isn't being slowed down by incorrect settings. ;)

My specs, from my DXDIAG file:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3328MB RAM

System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model: MS-7365
BIOS: Default System BIOS

(Graphics Card)
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8800 GT

Sound Device: Realtek HD Audio output

It's far better than most machines. Anyway, what could be slowing it down?

Cue said:
Your PC is obviously not awesome, because many of us here can record in OpenGL at 35 FPS, hell, I can record in osu! at 90 FPS.

At OpenGL, yes. At software rendering, I can't.
OpenGL mode crashes on me. It's been that way all the time except when I had a much worse graphics card.

Defective hardware you have, or something running in the background that's slowing it down, my system matches yours, except I have a factory overclocked 8800GT and an AMD Athlon X2 6000+ clocked at 3GHz.

What RAM, by the way? DDR2-1066 here. ;)

I don't overclock.
My RAM is DDR2 800 I think.

Oh yeah, and remember, OpenGL locks up for me, so I have no choice but software rendering.

Anyone have more ideas? OpenGL mode doesn't work for me, and it won't be supported in v1.1, so do I have no recourse if I'm to record with FRAPS at a good framerate?

Is your hard-drive's write speed too slow? Is it too fragmented? Do you have more than 15% hard-drive space free? Or, perhaps, are you running any programs that interfere with the screen in any way?

I don't think anything I have should be interfering with the screen. I *am* however defragging my hard drives (I have 4!) right now, and I got done with the drive that contains both SRB2 and FRAPS. I doubt that's it, but who knows if it'll help. If nothing else, defragging should improve load times for some games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back