Osama Bin Laden is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I know this is bad to say but, THANK GOD Bin Laden IS DEAD!. I know its bad to celebrate a person's death but I think all the lives lost on 911 is justifiable to kill him. I was just a little kid when 911 happened but I knew what was going on. Thanks to Bin Laden I was scared every time a airplane flew over my house. I was also scared of a nuclear bomb going off. So to end this I'll post this image:
halolz-dot-com-counterstrike-counterterroristswin.jpg

Not really. The odds that something that day would contain the numbers 9-1-1 would be extremely high. They probably occur every day.

I think what he was trying to say is that the Indians had something to do with 9/11, and are probably part of Al-Qaeda. I kind of agree with that stance on the subject.

I found an article which I believe sums up many of our thoughts here...
USA!USA! is the wrong response - we're mimicking our worst enemies
Here is little snippet from the article:
somber relief was not the dominant emotion presented to America when bin Laden’s death was announced. Instead, the Washington press corps -- helped by a wild-eyed throng outside the White House -- insisted that unbridled euphoria is the appropriate response[...]For decades, we have held in contempt those who actively celebrate death. When we’ve seen video footage of foreigners cheering terrorist attacks against America, we have ignored their insistence that they are celebrating merely because we have occupied their nations and killed their people. Instead, we have been rightly disgusted -- not only because they are lauding the death of our innocents, but because, more fundamentally, they are celebrating death itself.

This goes a lot deeper than just the media spinning it in a jubilant tone...the problem is that we have spent a decade affixing all of our fears and hatred to our perception of this man, and somehow feel cleansed now that he is gone. Of course we're gonna celebrate if someone shoots him in the head.

So, yeah, I don't really condone outright celebration, but it doesn't come as a surprise to me at all. I confess that I myself felt a surge of happiness upon hearing the news, so I understand the feeling. It's hard not to react this way, even if you know it's not right. I'm just gonna steer clear of the most enthusiastic celebrators.

Hah, typical.

Do you guys really think because America murdered an old man, they're now heroes and all. And that they are now killing these "terrorists" they are making the world a better place, because they people go on a plane 24/7 because of their religion. Well it ain't so.

In a war the main idea for success and approval is to make your side look as the "good" side, and your enemy as the "bad" side. I assure you, some years now, in the middle east, they have been taking you as terrorists, and they have far more rights to do so, all this "terrorism" crap comes from the 9/11, ever since then, Americans have been bombed their citzen's with the idea that Osama's the "Satan" of our time, just like the Christians gave that idea to Europeans centuries ago, and just liek right now, the some eastern civilizations gives the idea that the Americans are terrorists.

This entire post is not much than a proof of this tactic's efficiency, getting Americans to believe murdering someone is something to celebrate, and that invading a country and killing innocent people (civilians involved without a reason) is something good.

Is crashing a plane on towers terrorism? I bet much people here will say yes. Now, is invading a country and shooting up pretty much anyone that is relativeley armed terrorism? Is having thrown not one, but 2 nuclear bombs to another country terrorism? Is celebrating someone else's death terrorism?

Many people here is scared of a nuclear bomb blowing up nearby, when you were the ones who blew up 2 nuclear bombs to another nation.

This pretty much sums up America`s reaction when Osama died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs&feature=related

Aside from that I say that even though he is dead that doesn't mean terrorism is going to stop. Many people in America don't see the big picture that terrorism happens everywhere. I'm pretty sure that Bin Laden isn't the only terrorist out there who wants to harm America or any country for that matter. A country is always gonna have its friends and enemies that want to help, or harm them like whats going on in Libya right now. Killing one man won't help when there are billions of people who could be potential terrorists out there.

Heres an even better reaction lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_VheAwZBuQ&feature=related

Last edited:
What's the point of celebrating a man's death? Revenge will not bring anyone back, let alone solve anything. We do not know what will happen next. Osama's followers may attempt something even worse than 9/11 such as a massive bomb/missile plot. All we can do is pray for protection & peace.

The reason for celebration is that we have gone after this man for over 10 years. The fact we have finally taken him out and that is he is a extremely dangerous man is a good reason to celebrate. And I doubt Al Qaeda has access to missiles.

Thought this was a good quote...

I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
– Martin Luther King, Jr.

I love the quote, but sources say that it was never spoken by MLK Junior.

Osama bin Laden was a highly educated, wealthy man who dreamed of a better world. He defined a better world through the literal word of the Qur'an...and what happened next could hardly have been a surprise. He did not "twist" or "misinterpret" the tenets of his religion in the slightest; the texts of Islam are crammed full of impossible-to-misconstrue calls for conquest, domination, subjugation, and slaughter. There are millions of Muslims who practice their religion peaceably, but they do so in violation of their own faith, blending their traditions with an incompatible view of secular tolerance.
I've also read at least a selection of the Qur'an. I've seen a bit that could be interpreted that way but it looks to me far more like an "eye for an eye" matter, which is quite understandable considering Islam initially started out in the midst of a warlike Arabia, such a practice would have been very valuable for their self-preservation in those days.
Interestingly enough, chivalry actually traces its roots back to Islam, having been adopted by Spain from the Moors. Many important aspects of our culture were cultivated in Islam while Europe is said to be in the dark ages. (There was still plenty of cultural significance during that period so I don't like calling them the dark ages, but it was a time when the warlike culture of these peoples took precedence over artistic or religious culture, despite what they claimed)

I will also point out that in the Song of Roland the Christian Frankish knights believed some of the very same things we accuse Islam of believing. Now, Europe has since evolved past the warlike culture of the Franks, but the Middle-east is still a scene of dramatic conflict and tension. This doesn't justify the radicals that would become terrorists, but it makes it a little easier to understand why they believe the things they do.

---

For the record, I'd forgotten Osama Bin Laden had existed for a while. He clearly wasn't in enough of a headline for it to reach someone like me who doesn't actively search out the news. Aside from the moral complications of going around singing "ding dong the witch is dead," and the question of whether this really is going to make as much a difference as people say, because he's clearly not done anything important enough since the war started to make the news, not to mention the war really isn't about him anyway. He was just the catalyst for propelling us into this.

Last edited:
Wait, what?

I thought he lived in a house-like fortress. o_0

Also, apparently, the soldiers who attacked the fort thought he had an explosive suit in his body, so they shot him in the head. Twice if I may add.

Is crashing a plane on towers terrorism?
If done intentionally with intent to kill, yes.

...is invading a country and shooting up pretty much anyone that is relativeley armed terrorism?
Depends on the circumstances. If both countries have declared war ahead of time, probably not. If you just up and stage a coup, maybe. If you intentionally target unarmed innocents, most likely.

Is having thrown not one, but 2 nuclear bombs to another country terrorism?
Outside the context of World War II maybe. You can't just conveniently ignore that fact to support your argument. If it were detonating a nuclear bomb in a country your country wasn't explicitly at war with, then yes, but that wasn't the scenario nor should you construe it to be.

Is celebrating someone else's death terrorism?
No. Not even remotely. I'm not even sure how you could think it is.

We classify some frail old man floating around caves as dangerous?
Age doesn't matter with that stuff- he still had a brain with who-knows-what thoughts on, and that's what so dangerous.
Seriosuly, age means nothing. I've heared of countless "old people" do crimes, like rape and steal.

I love the quote, but sources say that it was never spoken by MLK Junior.
Haha, wow. It's funny because the instant I read the quote I was unsure that it was spoken by MLK. The first sentence seemed to fit too well with 9/11. I then google searched it and saw that many people had posted this, so I assumed it was true. Turns out that the first sentence was the only part not actually said by him.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy." was not spoken by MLK.

But this part was:
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

source: google books!

Now, is invading a country and shooting up pretty much anyone that is relativeley armed terrorism? Is having thrown not one, but 2 nuclear bombs to another country terrorism? Is celebrating someone else's death terrorism?

No, as a matter of fact, none of those things are terrorism. Granted, some of those things are pretty darn awful, but none of them even come close to fitting the definition of "terrorist" actions. Terrorism is defined as the deliberate targeting of innocent civilians to inspire fear and distrust in the enemy.

The invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan were not terrorist actions, because they were launched for the sole purpose of toppling foreign governments. And by the way, U.S. soldiers did not "shoot up pretty much anyone that was relatively armed". Every innocent Iraqi and Afghan citizen was killed by accident, either as collateral damage from firefights against the enemy or as catastrophic miscalculations. Tragedies, certainly, but not the same as deliberate slaughter.

The nuclear strikes on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in World War II were unnecessary and reprehensible, but I would call them "war crimes", not "terrorism". World War II was largely a war of civilian bombings, and every country did it; America just got carried away.

And the celebration of Osama bin Laden's death is arguably disgusting, but it isn't "terrorism". Our celebrations were not engineered to strike terror into the hearts of other al-Qaeda leaders, and they never would do so in a million years.

The morality of a nation's actions cannot possibly be measured in total body count, and people who believe it can are kidding themselves. What matters is the intentions behind an attack. The United States has never engineered a single military strike with intentions even remotely resembling those of al-Qaeda.

I've also read at least a selection of the Qur'an. I've seen a bit that could be interpreted that way but it looks to me far more like an "eye for an eye" matter, which is quite understandable considering Islam initially started out in the midst of a warlike Arabia, such a practice would have been very valuable for their self-preservation in those days.
That's the key word: In those days. The ancient laws mandated by all our modern religions made far more sense in a more violent, tribalized world. Now the rest of the world has leapfrogged religion, we have little reason to look to religious texts for inspiration. The good things to be found in the Qur'an (and Bible and Torah) are now held to be more or less self-evident, whereas religion has now become a tremendous source of relative ignorance and intolerance. Observe, for example, how modern Christianity is obstructing stem-cell research, legal rights for homosexual couples, and the spread of sex education and condoms in the developing world. To say nothing of the terrorism inspired by Islam. These are all things that either did not exist or existed in a different sense back when modern religions were getting underway, and attempts to incorporate modern situations under antiquated models of morality is holding back society.

Interestingly enough, chivalry actually traces its roots back to Islam, having been adopted by Spain from the Moors. Many important aspects of our culture were cultivated in Islam while Europe is said to be in the dark ages. (There was still plenty of cultural significance during that period so I don't like calling them the dark ages, but it was a time when the warlike culture of these peoples took precedence over artistic or religious culture, despite what they claimed)
I'm well aware of this, but it's hard to say how much of that is a direct result of their religion, and how much was merely coincident. Remember, back then just about every person on Earth believed in a God of some sort. In the Dark Ages, religion and cultural achievement are correlated only because religion was omnipresent.

I will also point out that in the Song of Roland the Christian Frankish knights believed some of the very same things we accuse Islam of believing. Now, Europe has since evolved past the warlike culture of the Franks, but the Middle-east is still a scene of dramatic conflict and tension. This doesn't justify the radicals that would become terrorists, but it makes it a little easier to understand why they believe the things they do.
Who says I don't also blame Christians for terrible violence? During the Middle Ages, Christianity was responsible for far more heinous acts of violence than Islam has ever been. Indeed, taking a historical perspective, Christianity is far and away the most violent of the Abrahamic faiths.

The wounds Christianity has wrought upon the history of Europe are too numerous to count. The Holy Inquisition springs to mind immediately, as does the proliferation of anti-semitism throughout Europe (even though the Nazis were nominally secular, the Holocaust would not have been possible without a centuries-old reservoir of German intolerance that was created almost entirely by Christian belief). In fact, modern Muslim anti-semitism was directly inherited from Christianity.

The key difference is that Christians terrorized the world in the Middle Ages; Muslims are terrorizing the world now. Islam needs to undergo a transformation of the same kind that Christianity experienced a couple of centuries ago - and this can only happen through a partial or total embrace of secular truth. It is, quite frankly, the only way these sorts of conflicts will ever end.

Last edited:
We classify some frail old man floating around caves as dangerous?
We shouldn't. In fact, they usually help out!
34s54s8.jpg

But in serious relation to the topic, I don't really have strong feelings either way. Though in hindsight, it seems a bit odd that the al Qaeda would fearlessly share their leader's face and name in video footage and other media. They had to have seen his assassination coming with the his location and state of health.

Last edited:
With regards to the quotation, it comes from one Jessica Dovey on Facebook, seen here. Though she properly sourced and quoted MLK Jr., somewhere along the line someone lost the quotation marks, and this mangled version was spread like wildfire.

Go figure, eh?

I'm well aware of this, but it's hard to say how much of that is a direct result of their religion, and how much was merely coincident. Remember, back then just about every person on Earth believed in a God of some sort. In the Dark Ages, religion and cultural achievement are correlated only because religion was omnipresent.

The point is that culture and religion both influenced and were influenced by one another. Christian Europe was violent because the peoples that ruled Europe had a violent culture in a violent time. That does not mean Christianity itself is violent. Some Islam is violent because for the Middle-east its been a violent time for a while now, but you made the claim earlier that violence was a tenet of Islamic faith. I argue that it is now, just as it had been throughout history, the culture's response to religion that results in the violence.

I won't get into any of the other points you made in your post, because I don't have the time for a religious debate right now... we're already on enough of a tangent now.

If there's a war about to begin in America, then I want to leave and never travel in America because I'm not dieing. They need to make peace or try to make peace. I rather live in heaven :D so I can be in peace and have fun and don't have to worry about anything but being happy :D.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

If there's a war about to begin in America, then I want to leave and never travel in America because I'm not dieing. They need to make peace or try to make peace. I rather live in heaven :D so I can be in peace and have fun and don't have to worry about anything but being happy :D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LacCzV76HzU. This is a vid I got from school about this EVIL man. HIS EVIL >:(. EVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back