Mac or PC...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nox

♪♫♬
Personally, I like both opperating systems... There are somethings that I like about the Windows opperating system, And some other things I like about the Mac. Neither is perfect. BUT, I have to say the iPod is much better than the Zune by a lot. (I'm posting this with my iPod touch). But I wanted to hear from the rest of the community.

oh hurr durr I use neither, but an obscure, unnecessary one

There, I saved about 20 guys from having to post in here.

Windows 7's just fine.

Quoting Jhonen Vasquez... "Macs are for work and Windows are for games." That's why I like having both OS's on my Macbook~

I've never used a Mac before, so it's either Windows or Ubuntu for me. I've used Windows ME, XP and 7, and I still have XP.

but an obscure, unnecessary one

Troll, but I'll bite.

Yeah, Linux sure is unnecessary, alright! I mean, who uses Google, Amazon, or Wikipedia? Whether you like it or not, there are some distinct advantages to using Linux. It has its downsides, such as not being a very good gaming OS (though the situation is improving somewhat), but it's useful for a lot of other things.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's sick and tired of having PC refer to a single operating system. The term 'PC' doesn't actually refer to any OS for that matter. Look on Wikipedia or some other source. Do these articles sound overwhelmingly Windows-centric to you? First one is about personal computers in general. Second one refers to the most common type of PC which has become dominated by Windows, but is not in itself an inherently Windows system.

Right now I tend to dual-boot between Windows and Linux. A summary of my thoughts regarding the major OSes and what they're good for:

Linux, other Unices such as Free/OpenBSD: Legacy computers, production work (especially with the capabilities of a lot of window managers such as virtual desktops), programming, command-line (huge plus here), servers and embedded systems, versatility and customization (tons of graphical environments available, for example), security, repair and maintenance, not costing a ridiculous amount of money.

Windows: Gaming, huge software library (including a lot of programs that originated on Linux), hardware drivers, familiarity.

OS X: ...Not much, really. Only for those occasions where you really are stuck on a Macintosh.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's sick and tired of having PC refer to a single operating system. The term 'PC' doesn't actually refer to any OS for that matter. Look on Wikipedia or some other source. Do these articles sound overwhelmingly Windows-centric to you? First one is about personal computers in general. Second one refers to the most common type of PC which has become dominated by Windows, but is not in itself an inherently Windows system.

Thank you. I'm getting rather tired of "HEY MAC IS BETTER THAN PC", when a Mac is a PC.

Also, asking Mac or Windows isn't something we can answer, after all it depends on use. I'd only ever buy a Mac for iPhone/iPad development, personally, and even then I'm quite happy running it under a virtual machine on my £800 Core i7 Laptop, you know, the sort of laptop that would set me back over twice that if it was a Macbook with an i7?

For SRB2 Development and Steam Games I'll use a Windows 7 partition on my laptop. For everything else I'll use Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop or desktop.

I'll use Windows over a Mac OS any day, haven't played around with any Linux distro enough to say if I really like one or several. All I've managed to do on Ubuntu is get ZDoom to compile and run. :P

I don't really care, they both play the Steam games I care about so I'm fine.
I prefer windows though... That's usually the most programmed for.

I make this post using Windows. I want to try Linux, but I am too lazy to waste the day(s) necessary to set it up.

I've spent years using both operating systems, and I have to say that in that time I have grown to vastly prefer Windows for its flexibility and broad range of applications. This is not to say that I hate Macs...I consider them somewhat inferior, but when it comes down to it both of them will generally do what you want them to do. There are also a few things that Mac has that give Windows a run for its money. Macs have an attractive interface. And I have to say that when it comes to handhelds and peripherals, nobody beats Mac (yet, anyway...I have my eyes on the Android market). I freaking love my iPod Touch.

What I can't stand are the elitist snobs who swear by Macs and look down their noses at PC users with contempt. They may be justified in their preference for Macs based upon the kinds of things they want their computer to do, and I'll concede that the extreme rarity of Mac-targeting viruses is a big plus, but anyone who has a blanket disdain for Windows is completely deluding themselves. PCs are powerful and flexible and easy to operate and customize to your tastes. Both systems get inexplicable error messages. Both systems get slow and jerky over time. You're not dodging those bullets by getting a Mac.

And as for the virus thing, as long as you maintain common sense and caution on the Internet and have a continually updated set of antivirus programs, you have little to fear. Over the course of my entire life, I've only ever gotten a few trojans, and my security software made quick work of them.

So, yeah, I can understand the love of Macs, but I don't happen to share it. I'm a PC guy, and I find it hard to envision my opinion ever changing.

Last edited:
I'm a PC guy, and I find it hard to envision my opinion ever changing.

So you use one of these?
647px-Ibm_pc_5150.jpg

And as for the virus thing, as long as you maintain common sense and caution on the Internet and have a continually updated set of antivirus programs, you have little to fear. Over the course of my entire life, I've only ever gotten a few trojans, and my security software made quick work of them.

Every Mac user in existence is screwed when someone actually bothers to create a virus for OS X.

Something I don't like about OS X is the interface, when I installed it under a VM, here's what I found:

• You press enter to rename a file, and this is the only way, even the right click menu has no 'rename' option.
  • You press space to enter a folder (see above for what should be used for entering a folder).
  • etc etc.
A lot of these design choices seem to be based on "Let's be different" more than anything else, both the majority of Linux distros and Windows itself use Enter to navigate into a folder/open a file and F2 to rename, and they actually bother having a rename option in the context menu. It all seems very illogical to me.

None the less, if I want to get into the app market, I'm going to have to learn to put up with these illogical design flaws (and the awful Interface Builder/XCode stuff).

I use Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04 for most web browsing, and Windows XP for Doom Builder and Unity games. Though my neighbor recently set up his computer as a Hackintosh, and it looks awesome.

For SRB2 Development and Steam Games I'll use a Windows 7 partition on my laptop. For everything else I'll use Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop or desktop.

Pretty much this, except I usually use my windows machine for everything because I'm too lazy to move my linux machine from downstairs. I personally find OSX to have no use to me. Most of the 'pros' about Macs do not find their way to me. "Great for work" is absolutely wrong, iWork is terrible, and Final Cut! is pretty lackluster(Forgive if I'm wrong though, I haven't used either of those pieces of software in a few years) when compared to Adobe Premiere. Oh, and I might have a little bias because my school used a notable portion of the yearly budget to buy Macs for 'editing video' that were used a few times and didn't even use the exclusive software.

BigBoi said:
oh hurr durr I use neither, but an obscure, unnecessary one

There, I saved about 20 guys from having to post in here.

lol OS elitism

Ever heard of a mouse?????

Every Mac user in existence is screwed when someone actually bothers to create a virus for OS X.

Something I don't like about OS X is the interface, when I installed it under a VM, here's what I found:

• You press enter to rename a file, and this is the only way, even the right click menu has no 'rename' option.
  • You press space to enter a folder (see above for what should be used for entering a folder).
  • etc etc.
A lot of these design choices seem to be based on "Let's be different" more than anything else, both the majority of Linux distros and Windows itself use Enter to navigate into a folder/open a file and F2 to rename, and they actually bother having a rename option in the context menu. It all seems very illogical to me.

None the less, if I want to get into the app market, I'm going to have to learn to put up with these illogical design flaws (and the awful Interface Builder/XCode stuff).

Yes but, Enter to open files? Do you use the arrow keys? And most of all, Ever heard of a MOUSE??????

It might help.
Try it and tell me if it helps.
A mouse makes everything easier

Also you can configure the buttons on a mac. If you were using a 1 button mouse you should buy a mouse that was made in the 21st century. Not one that was made in 1985. If you have a 2 button mouse but there's no right click you can easily in 30 seconds or less, set the mouse to a normal 2 button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back