New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7341/np253s4pp1.png
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7444/np253s4pp2.png
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1526/np253s4pp3.th.png
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5536/np253s4pp4.png

This just in from Nintendo Power. The article mentions Robotnik having a 'turns red' mode with the Checker Wrecker, which I was seriously hoping for. Just a little bit more hope to crush my dreams harder with, or something more? Who knows.

Also, Iizuka is being a damn, dirty liar. All-new game, huh? Also, pretty interesting how he talks about using pre-rendered graphics to 'show off' the merits of 2D animation. Do you see why I am so worried for this game, now? Do you see?

Also, the homing attack. Now, I don't mind the homing attack in the 3D games, because it's harder to make precise jumps on small enemies in a 3D enviroment without help. In 2D, though, it's a lot harder to pull off. Worst case scenario, we're looking at a total game breaker that can beat bosses in seconds flat, when it's not being used to slowly use lines of Badniks as stepping stones.

...I like the waterfall on the corkscrew.

Last edited:
About the homing attack... I know this is a rather cop-out remedy that has probably been repeated dozens of times, but if you don't like it, nobody's forcing you to use it...

...Unless it's required.
In which case you're screwed.

2 words, Sonic Megamix.

I think Sonic 4 is drawing ideas from it.

I sure hope this game doesn't end up like it.
I'm disappointed that there's no Tails or Knuckles in the first episode. They're taking the "Sonic only" thing a bit too far.

Although this game hasn't been released yet, I'm pretty sure Sonic Team will screw this up somehow, like they always do with games these days.

So, uh, how's about them hornets and fish.

Chomper looks cool, but technically the description is incorrect - while the enemy behavior did originate from Green Hill Zone, the design came from Emerald Hill Zone. Easy mistake to make, so I don't blame the PR guy, but still. Also, flapping arm looks strange.

What game does that hornet design come from?

I kind of agree. I REALLY don't like Sonic 1, and this is what it seems to turn out to be. But, hopefully, the controls and sloppiness will be ridden of (it's a word) and fixed. The level design seems interesting and hopefully, it will turn out to be something that will attract me to the classics unlike the others.

Sonic 1 sucked. :p
Bobinator - Yeah, got those same screens in GameInformer.

Kyasarin - I think it was kind of reasonable to make Sonic exclusive. Some fans have been waiting forever for a Sonic VS Eggman game.

Episode 2+3 will cheer you up. I heard there will be Tails+Knuckles.

Dunno, it was tl;dr to me. I'm really getting tired of these stupid rants. They're getting so insanely old.

Damnit Mystic, stop stealing what I was gonna say!

Plus, the rant sounds incredibly stupid from what I skimmed over.

At least you bothered to skim it. In other news, the magazine scan quality makes it hard to see if this is just an official mockup or real footage. The picture on scan 2 however looks like it doesn't have the telltale artifacts the other one had and the quality of the entire image is pretty much the same. Compression of the background still stinks, so I guess that's not the fault of the one who leaked the images.
However, I'm glad to see the checker wrecker is actually in the real thing... its definitely something worth geeking out over. It starts out normal and then changes things up, which sounds really neat... reminds me of Sonic Megamix. (probably been mentioned before in this topic during all the angry fanrages)

Bubbles appears to be part of Splash Hill, which is awesome. That is one of the better badniks to show up in S3K in my humble opinion.

The shine on the flowers still looks horribly fake, I'm hoping that's just the light hitting it or ring effects. I am going to have a hard time accepting that is how they are supposed to look.

I like what I'm reading in this review, and Nintendo Power seems to be fairly positive. But I know that Sonic fans are going to hate this game anyway and I don't find the drama amusing anymore. Might as well just do the same as I did for Unleashed and SatBK, play it and don't talk about it.

Jev3, CLASSIC fans are going to start hating it. (OMG... I wanted 2D and I got 2D WHINE!)

The newer crowd.. will love it.

Jev3, CLASSIC fans are going to start hating it. (OMG... I wanted 2D and I got 2D WHINE!)

Then let them hate, Simple as that. Unleashed got a good amount of sales and it pleased despite the number of offsets. This game won't be any different despite the disappointments of it not having a retro look that was wished by many. It still doesn't change the fact that me might have a decent game that isn't a boost fest or hold right... but that's too good to say right now since we don't have more gameplay to observe.

What I'm more concerned with is how the first episode will give its impression.

IDK about Unleashed, most people liked HALF of the game at least...

Mixed reviews and tastes are common with games that follow the same route as Unleashed. Though regardless it still offered entertainment to others. I mean I'm not saying that quality, hard work, creativity, and unique mechanics doesn't count when making a game, though if one can enjoy it then it can be categorized as fun and therefore a game.
Though thats just one of the problems that Sega has faced when it came to Sonic. If it was not sonic gameplay then it's just a game, if it was sonic gameplay but with different mechanics then it would most likely be either categorized as an eye candy, fan taming or "Just Crap".

But hey I mean, one of life's lessons is that you don't always get what you want, and if you do it won't always be as you expected it to be. Too bad this doesn't sink into a lot of minds.

Last edited:
I think Episode 2 will introduce Tails into the series, and Episode 3 will introduce Knux.
Understand my theory?

I think Episode 2 will introduce Tails into the series, and Episode 3 will introduce Knux.
Understand my theory?

My theory is Sonic Team has to go niiiice and slow so they don't run with a bad idea, trip down the stairs and land square on their faces *again*. It's pathetic, if you ask me, it speaks volumes for their competence at game making, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back