Scribblenauts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arf

I'm quite saddened that searching for "scribblenauts" in this forum yields no results, so I'm about to change that and make your lives much better.

The game Scibblenauts, for the DS, is about Maxwell, a boy you have to help get to some Starites (Stars). To help him do so, you write anything. That's right, any word you can think of will most possibly be there. And most objects interact with each other, some cool examples:

A starite is on a tree, so you throw a football at it to knock it down.
Or as shown in a video, you can write beaver, and it will eat the tree, bringing it down. Or you could write lumberjack, and write axe and give it to him, which will make him chop away.

Some dude put a panda on a unicycle and gave him a crown.
Yes, a unicycle riding panda wearing a crown. But that's not all, there's also a video of a skateboarding, shotgun wielding God (you can write god) fighting against Cthulhu.

Some other dude had to face off against robot zombies, so he created a time machine, traveled to the past, found a dinosaur, rode him into the time machine and used it to destroy the robot zombies. The game designer even got the game's artist to draw a wallpaper of that.

The game's lexicon is of over 10,000 words, all the objects are physic affected, they have behaviours, etc. Some people try to stump Scribblenauts and fall short, it's amazing. The way this was done was by getting 5 guys check encyclopedias, Wikipedia, dictionaries and all the things you can imagine, for 6 months straight, and making them add all the stuff they could find.

The game creators even pulled the replayability part very good. You can play any level again, but you cant use the same objects you used in a previous play of that level, so you gotta be as clever as possible. Some dude wrote anvil, the glue, and glued it to the starite on the tree. Crazy. The levels are divided in two categories, Action and Puzzle levels. In action levels you can see the starite, but the challenge is getting there. Puzzle modes are levels in which the starite only appears after you do some specific object.

This is an amazing game you should ALL CHECK OUT.

hmm... I wonder if the words Blue-Eyes White Dragon will be recognized as individual elements, or as a unit?

I haven't touched my DS in a long time. If I'm going to buy a DS game, this will definitely be it.

This looks like a must-by for my entire family. Even my brother, a PSP owner, wants it! I have to admit that I still doubt that I can't come up with something that it should have but doesn't, but if it took a handful of game critics all week to only come up with a few stumpers and afterward even say that some internet memes are included seems to promise otherwise.

It's games like these that made me decide to go Nintendo this generation. Since its my first Nintendo console, and second handheld (first being GB color) I also have plenty unreaped Mario experiences to find so even the quirky games do need a little something to sell me.

I certainly hope that I have the kind of money to buy this when it is released, but knowing my family, this kind of game is probably going to be purchased by every single member of the family after I've got mine. Creativity is serious business... (especially if it involves blowing things up and tearing things apart)

Chaos Knux said:
hmm... I wonder if the words Blue-Eyes White Dragon will be recognized as individual elements, or as a unit?

Maybe kung fuu jesus would be a better choice? Im pretty sure the results of creating an overpowered exotic-looking dragon would just end out horribly....

Then again...what the hell. Not enough chaos on this rock anyway.

Arf said:
A video of a skateboarding, shotgun wielding God (you can write god) fighting against Cthulhu.
Where is this video?!?!?!
When it comes out I am going to try every single internet meme until i find the ones they put in. Give me a list of memes if you want to see if they exist... XD

And the worst part is, if they put, say, 'Muhammad' or 'Qur'an' in the game, everyone would kick up, but it's only the Christian God so nobody cares.

In other news, looks awesome, where's my PC version?

That wouldn't be feasible. Millions of households do not have a PC drawing tablet.

It's called a KEYBOARD. And a mouse. This game is word based, you do not draw whatsoever, unless you count writing the words.

Well, they mention that movement is done with the stylus, but I'd say in this situation a mouse would work just as well. A PC version would be rather nice though, partially because it could be moddable, with potential for "dictionary expansions" that would allow for copyrighted stuff without getting the devs in trouble.

I forgot about this game, I read about it in Nintender Power.
Its definitly next on my list of games to buy.

Fyrus said:
That must be faked, as you cannot write proper nouns, nor is there anything religious, NOR are there any vulgarities.

Actually you can put god in there. you can actually put Einstein in it. You can also put a kraken in it. search scribblenauts God vs. the Kraken on youtube.

The only thing they don't have is Obama. I wonder if they have Mr.T?

Cue said:
And the worst part is, if they put, say, 'Muhammad' or 'Qur'an' in the game, everyone would kick up, but it's only the Christian God so nobody cares.

In other news, looks awesome, where's my PC version?
God can be used generally as well, not neccesarilly the Christian one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back