SSB:SS Demo Release (SSBSS_DEMO.RAR) [no56k]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzo

PLEASE PRIVATE-MESSAGE FLAME_THE_HEDGEHOG FOR INFORMATION PERTAINING TO SSB:SS. THANK YOU.

Well, who thought they'd see this coming?

I would like to officially announce the release of the demo version of Super Smash Bros: Sonic Showdown, otherwise known as SSB:SS or DMSC.

Screens:
srb20112.png

1.png

srb20120.png

srb20116.png

2.png

For those who don't know what SSB:SS/DMSC is, it's basically Super Smash Brothers., except done the SRB2 way. It has been worked on and perfected for over 2 years, and we at the dev team finally feel we're ready to give you a -taste- of what to expect from SSB:SS. =P

Features in Demo SSBSS:
  • FINAL SMASHES! - this is NO JOKE, Final Smashes ARE in the game.
  • 6 Playable, gorgeous Courses
  • 3 Playable Characters, each with their own specific movesets!
  • Custom camera and 2D mode physics
  • Working Shields!
  • ...and more!

INSTRUCTIONS

1) Extract contents of SSBSS_DEMO.RAR into 1.09.4 directory, NOT the 1.1 directory. Doing so will give you errors.
2) Overwrite SSBSS.exe with the patch EXE.
3) Execute SSBSS.exe.
If you're getting a missing/corrupted wadfile error, you've either been messing with the PLR files of SRB2, or with the DEMO files of SSB:SS. Take your pick.
*sigh*...I seriously didn't think I needed that section...

LEVELS

Currently there are 21+ levels in the full version of SSB:SS, but being that this is a demo or more like a proof-of-concept version, there are only 6 BEAUTIFUL levels to have fun on, and they are:

Level 1: Flaming Fields - By Arf
Level 2: Desert Island Zone - By Spazzo
Level 3: Green Hill Island - By Flame
Level 4: Iron Cavern Zone - By Boinciel
Level 5: Panic Isle - By Boinciel
Level 6: Final Destination - By Naga-c

Credits:

Directors
Spazzo
Flame

Programmers
Flame
SSNTails
Cueball61
Turtle Man
Shuffle
JTE

Level Creation
Akira
Linkman90
Arf
Flame
Spazzo
Penopat
DarkWarrior
Boinciel
Chaos Zero 64
Naga-c
Senku
ST218

Beta Testers & Bug Finders
Flame
Senku
Boinciel
ST218 & Amy
Spazzo
Cueball61
Digiku
SRB2-Playah
DarkWarrior
Penopat
Hotdog003
Arf
Chaos Zero 64
Shuffle
Kroze/WadWhore
If I forgot somebody, please accept my apologies (other than Kroze, go die in a fire). If you PM me, I can add you on the list.

Resources
Spazzo
Boinciel
SSNTails
Senku
Flame
SRB2-Playah
Chaos Zero 64

Special Thanks
SSNTails
#SRB2fun
The SRB2 MB
Doom Legacy Project
Super Smash Bros. Series
HAL
Nintendo
SEGA
My mom, my dad, etc. etc. etc.

Founders (note that 3 of the 4 guys contributed ZERO to the project)

Demitri
Michael (Spazzo)
Stephen (Soccerku)
Christopher

FAQ

Q: Why is it called "DEMO", and where's the full version?
A: It's called demo because we want you guys to get a feel for the game. We aren't ready to release all of the content the game has to offer - and trust me, 6 levels and 3 characters is just scratching the surface!

Q: The intermission screen is broken! WTF?!!?!?!1
A: Known bug. We just didn't get around to fixing it - at least it doesn't affect normal gameplay!

Q: Uhh, isn't Super Smash Bros supposed to have...items?
A: Items are actually in SSB:SS, but just like the intermission screen, we didn't have enough time to perfect them to our liking. If you wanna mess around with what we got done with items, simply go to a stage that has chaos spawns still on it (MAP99 comes to mind)

Q: Where's Knuckles!?!?!?
A: Knuckles (alongside a few other characters) haven't had their final smashes programmed yet, so we decided to release the game without them. Trust me, this was hardest on me. ;P

Q: Why are some players spindashing in the air...are these all advanced tactics or something?
A: Our programmers have been making constsant edits to the physics and movement code in SSB:SS - more moves are possible then you'd expect. From spindashing in the air, to jumping during a dash, to homing attacks...experiment with the moves at your disposal.

Q: Why is there an A button in the control configuration, yet it does nothing in the game?
A: The A button, in prior revisions of SSB:SS, was a standard punch or kick move. We removed this from the demo because not only did we not have any sprites for the rest of the characters, it hardly added to the gameplay.

Q: What happened to 3D DMSC!?!?!? That was the best part of the game!
A: 3D DMSC, however awesome it is, did not have any wad that was best suited for the gametype, so there is no map in the rotation featuring it. If you guys still want to try out 3D DMSC, the Match/CTF levels provide a good alternate, for now.

Q: How many levels/characters are planned for the final game?
A: As of this moment, we have 6 characters and 21 (!) stages in the full version of SSB:SS. Both of those numbers are constantly going up and down though, so don't take my word for it!

Q: SSB:SS Final is taking too long to come out! Why aren't you guys doing anything?
A: We have no idea how you got this assumption, as we are indeed busily working away on SSB:SS Final. Dont believe us? Here are a few teaser images from it:
srb20133.png
srb20134.png

srb20135.png
srb20136.png

Q: I wanna be part of the team! I can wad for you!
A: If you do have decent wadding capabilities, PM either myself or Flame_The_Hedgehog for more information on joining the team.

Q: YER GAME SUX -10/10 PEICE OF TRASH CHAOS THE HEDGIE WAS HERE DIE IN A FIRE YOU /B/TARDS
A: Yeah. Exit's to the right.

...did I forget something? I did, didn't I....Oh yeah, the download link!

MAIN DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://www.spazzo.sepwich.com/SSBSS_DEMO.rar
BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THE PATCH, AND OVERWRITE SSBSS.EXE WITH IT. IF YOU DON'T DOWNLOAD THE PATCH, YOU CAN'T PLAY SSB:SS IN NETGAMES WITH OTHERS.
MIRROR:
http://vactual.net/downloads/SSBSS_DEMO.rar
MIRROR 2:
http://cstrfan.info/files/mirrors/SSBSS_demo_5_9_08.zip
PATCH:
www.spazzo.sepwich.com/SSBSS.exe

SOURCE CODE:(Note: Not required to play SSB:SS)
http://spazzo.sepwich.com/Demopatch.patch

So, yeah. I hope you enjoy this SRB2 mod as much as we did making it. Just remember, the final version is on the horizon...;)

EDIT: Just a little bug notice...If any new players join the game, BE SURE TO DO STARTLIVES! If you don't, they will start off with zero lives, which will reset to an extremly high number and consfail the user.

EDIT2: Ok....because you ignorant slobs can't seem to figure out how to extract a RAR archive, here's a friendly aniGIF to show you how:
wtf.gif

Nice job on releasing this without my permission. I also thought we were going to do something where we shared the postings. :/

Don't bother using Espio's final smash in splitscreen, by the way, his effect is useless since, well, screenwatching comes to mind, plus he's invisible for you.

Flame, why does Spazzo need permission to release his own mod? >_>

Cue said:
Flame, why does Spazzo need permission to release his own mod? >_>
I admit to that it's his own mod, but I'm the one who programmed most of the damned thing. If it wasn't for me, it wouldn't be in it's current condition right now.

Apparently this EXE is consfail-icious. Sorry. We're working on a patch as we speak...

EDIT: I can confirm that ESPIO is the cause of the consfails. Please do not use him for the time being. I apologize for the inconvenience.

EDIT2: False alarm. It's simply a netbomber...Espio Is OK TO USE

Apparently those weird crashes were just netbombs (!?), so it's not the games fault. I've also found out that espio/the smashball can consisfail the game at times, but this is rare. We're working on smoothening out netplay, but it isn't even that major. I've already had a full netgame going through the rotation, with no consfails.

Draykon said:
Quite entertaining, although I noticed the smash ball is a tad broken, it usually gets stuck in Iron Cavern's floor.
It's the programmer's fault, not mine.

This is an enjoyable piece of work. The camera works fluently, the levels (most of them) are fun to play and look good... The way the Smash Ball works is spot on to SSBB (though netplay is kinda jumpy). The only problems I see is that there are no useful items to use, and it's hard to distinguish your player in such a large place. Also, the names and damage do not work very well. Rather than totally copying SSBB, instead of using a giant square with a picture of your character, why not just have the character's face? It looks a lot less bulky. Damage needs percentage sign, characters have to be spread out; might I suggest making one character's display smaller? If you're going to have a lot of players, it's kind of needed.

To get to the point, it was fun. Good job, looking forward to the final, etcetera, etcetera...

Edit: Nevermind. This was requested by Spazzo. =\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back