What was...

What was the first game you ever played, and what memories of that game do you have?

• Dizzy (Prince of the Yolkfolk)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super Mario

• Sonic

• ToeJam and Earl

• Legend of Zelda

• Kirby

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzo

the first game (series) you ever played?
Me, to be honest, was the Dizzy (A.K.A. Prince of the Yolkfolk) series. Although a bit...unpopular, i always used to play it on the computer when i was like, 4.
The series consists of games, such as Kwik Snax, Fast Food, Prince of the Yolkfolk, Magicland Dizzy, and Fantasy Land Dizzy. Even though they were all in DOS, and didn't really have sound, I still loved playing them with my cousins.
Whats yours (also, try explaining some memories you have playing that game)
EDIT: Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yolkfolk has some useful Dizzy information.

If "Mario Teaches Typing" counts, then Mario was the first "game" I've ever played. If not, then Sonic's it.

I got a Genesis 3 for Christmas, and along with it, Sonic Compilation. I thought the games were..... cool. I played them a lot.

I think I remember playing an assortment of old DOS games before that. "Jill in the Jungle" comes to mind.

I had a feeling that Spazzo first played Dizzy, since it was at the top of the list.

I grew up with Mario, so it's Mario for me.

The first video game I ever played was Sonic the Hedgehog 2, in versus mode with a family friend. My parents bought me a Genesis and Sonic 2 the following Christmas. I was so incredibly bad...I died a few times at the first boss because I couldn't figure out how to hit him ^_~

Sonic 2 was my first game as well. Next came Altered Beast. A friend gave me Sonic 1 later on. I never owned an actual copy of Sonic 3 or S&K, but I rented them from a nearby convenience store almost weekly. Of course, there were other games between Sonic 1 and S3&K (Most notably Taz, Mortal Kombat 2 and Gunstar), but it's a bit fuzzy around that point.

Actually, now that I think about it, Mario 3 was technically the first game I've ever played. It was my sister's, and since she lived with my grandma, I only ever got to play it once every few months, and even then, you couldn't call what I was doing 'playing'. (I couldn't figure out how to get past the first goomba. Do take note that I was very, very young at the time)

Super Mario is my first game. Mario 3, I believe.
I was like five when I remember playing it.. I was teaching my dad how to play. XD

Pac-Man. On the Atari 2600.
How good was it? Well...
Atari_PacMan.gif

Let's just say I'm kind of glad home consoles have gotten a bit better recently.

Mmm, well I could have been either, Doom, Doom 2, Blake Stone, Wolfenstein 3D or one of the first four Commander Keen games.

Simpsons Doom was great, thats about all I remember, I've got some good memories with Quake though.

I remember next to nothing of my first game, though I believe it was Super Mario World. You see, until I was about 6 years old the most I had of videogames was those kickass Genesis commercials which occasionally aired on my tiny black and white television, which was my only source of entertainment other then oversized lego blocks at the time. I wanted a videogame and daily did I annoy my mom to get me one, though she never did.

Then we moved in with the evil fat man who would for the next 9 years of my life be my stepfather. Then I got my hands on videogames for the first time. For what was at most 3 months he gave me his Super Nintendo, as he now had a Sega Genesis and no longer needed it 'cause he already beat all the good games on it. Then he got the new version of the Genesis, the crappy compact one without a headphone jack and whatnot, and was starting to miss Mario, so he took the Super Nintendo back and I never saw it again. The only games I had for the Genesis at this point were Sonic the Hedgehog, Hellfire (some really hard space shooter), this odd 8bit-looking platformer featuring what appears to be a hobbit in a forest fighting off wizards and whatnot, Arrow Flash (another, RATHER GODLY space shooter which inspired me greatly), Cue Ball (a rock + pinball game), and Toejam and Earl (Or possibly Toejam and Earl 2, not sure which but I ended up with both eventully)... ... ...

I took special love to Sonic and Arrow flash, as the other games were far too hard for me at the time and these ones were just FUN... And eventually I had a complete set of Sonic games (as well as the other Toejam and Earl game)... I even got Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Sonic Spinball, Wackey Worlds, and that football game which displayed Sonic's face on the scoreboard whenever you got a touchdown or whatever... I was obsessed indeed... It still moves me to this day.

Yeah it does. It's a video game, isn't it?

And GB250 reminded me that Mario wasn't the first game I've played. It was the Atari games. My dad bought me one with 7 different games, like Pac Man, Pitfall, Space Invaders, and others.

mine was sonic 1, i still cant believe how bad i was at video games back then, i could'nt do the first boss so i got my dad to do it for me :)

My first game was Mario Bros. for the original NES.
The second was Sonic 2, at my cousins, on rare occasions.
I never really did get into Sonic again until about four years ago, when my brother got Sonic Action Pack for Christmas...

I was three years old, and my brother had a gameboy. It was then that I played my first videogqame: KIRBY'S DREAMLAND! And MAN was I bad at it XD. You know that first hill in green greens that you have to fly to get over? It took me nearly a week to figure out how to get over it! But yeah. My first full-fledged console was the sega genesis, given to me by my cousin Jessika, along with a generous collection of games for it which included Sonic the Hedghog, Sonic the Hegdehog 3, Viewpoint(Best. Space Shooter. Ever!), california vacation, Mickey mouse & the castle of illusion, that other Micky Mouse game, Where in the World is Carman Sandiago, and The adventures of Wonderboy in Monster Land. When I was about seven years old, over half of these games were stolen, S were some of the gameboy games I had(including tetris and Kirby's pinball land) by my NEIGHBORS. My brother was able to find some of them(that's how we found out they took them), but not all. We assumed that they had been sold, since they did not have a gameboy or genesis. Now, I did not own Sonic & Knuckles, nor did I own Sonic 2. At least once a week, we would go to blockbuster and retrieve Sonic & Knuckles(Though not always Sonic 2; I was routinely frustrated with the final boss, of which seemed to be set at an impossible difficulty at the time), but always the same copy, which we had marked with a piece of white tape. In one of my files, I had achieved over 100 extra lives in Sonic 3! Alas, all the good things had to come to an end. Due to some issues with the Genises to TV cable, I am no longer able to play my old genises, although I still have it. I have yet to beat Viewpoint And AWML...

Well, there you have it. My story of videogames. I left some details out, though if asked I will gladly answer them. And if you have already forgotten the beginning, I voted for kirby.

Prime 2.0 said:
that other Micky Mouse game
I had that one too! Until we sold it at a garage sale... Oh well. I have that square model Genesis (I forgot which version number), it's still boxed up waiting for us to by another AV cord so I can homebrew an RGB outlet cord for it.

About the RGB outlet, the Genesis doesn't support Stereo does it? I forgot, so, yeah...

It does through headphones at the least. I have fond memorys of having the rare pleasure of using headphones until the ones I had found got broken due to my young stupidity.

I remember when I first started playing Sonic 1 I sucked at it and couldn't get past the part in... I believe it was Green Hill 2... Which had these many platforms going up and down over a bunch of spike pits...

One time my uncle Drew came over and I got him to play it so I could watch and he got the invincibility and stood by this rock waiting for the thing to come down... While he was waiting, there was a small glitch which caused the rock to halfway flash out of existance for a moment due to the invincibility sparkles, but at that moment he decided to jump.

From then on I would wait by that rock with the invincibility sparkles for the rock to glitch again before going because I thought he did that for good luck or something. Eventually I made it across and beat the first boss. I don't recall ever getting past Spring Yard until I found the debug mode cheat on the internet some time later, though.

Once I went through the entire game in debug mode just to see the ending, but when I came to the final boss battle I found that I could not defeat it; I would go into debug mode to avoid getting squished and then I would see Robotnik and press C to jump at him, but since I was still in debug mode that would place things instead... For some reason I decided to toggle it so I was placing star posts when this happened, and then I went out of debug mode and hit the starposts, thinking nothing much of it, but then the boss killed me.

I respawned where the starposts were... Except... There were no starposts there. Nor was the boss there. Just big empty holes where he used to be. I ran back to the beginning and I ran back to the end and he would not appear. So I just suicided hoping that'd make him come back. I respawned where the starposts were again, nothing unchanged. So I shut off the game and figured I'd just go back and try again, it was easy to just hold right until you hit the exit signs in all the maps, right? Well... I found that debug mode no longer worked. I never got it to work again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back