Is SEGA going to cancel Sonic the Hedgehog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonic needed a bullet in his head right after SA2, maybe 1, 2 was ok. After that meh, and it's too late now honestly to cancel him.

Blue Warrior said:
Someone linked this on IRC yesterday. Very interesting read, and I think it's relevant to the topic.

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/01/05/the-blog-sega-doesnt-want-you-to-read/

The conflict between Sega of Japan and Sega of America has been around since forever, and is a large part of the reason why Sonic X-treme never came to be. I'm not surprised that this failure between the two to cooperate is to blame for NiGHTS. While it was a fun game, I cannot deny that it could have used a lot more polish, especially with the implementation of the Wii controls.

Now, I have heard that the recent new director for Sonic Team is at the very least cooperating with other branches of Sonic Team, and not forcing the ones responsible for Secret Rings and Black Knight to follow his new direction for Sonic while at the same time properly cooperating with Dimps to make sure the Wii got a polished version. Even if you don't believe Unleashed turned out good, I think that this is a very good thing, and hope that this is something that will stand out more than the very damaging rivalry between Sega Japan and SOA.

JEV3 said:
Blue Warrior said:
Someone linked this on IRC yesterday. Very interesting read, and I think it's relevant to the topic.

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/01/05/the-blog-sega-doesnt-want-you-to-read/

The conflict between Sega of Japan and Sega of America has been around since forever, and is a large part of the reason why Sonic X-treme never came to be. I'm not surprised that this failure between the two to cooperate is to blame for NiGHTS. While it was a fun game, I cannot deny that it could have used a lot more polish, especially with the implementation of the Wii controls.

Now, I have heard that the recent new director for Sonic Team is at the very least cooperating with other branches of Sonic Team, and not forcing the ones responsible for Secret Rings and Black Knight to follow his new direction for Sonic while at the same time properly cooperating with Dimps to make sure the Wii got a polished version. Even if you don't believe Unleashed turned out good, I think that this is a very good thing, and hope that this is something that will stand out more than the very damaging rivalry between Sega Japan and SOA.
Let's face it... Japan is screwing up Sonic (well, was) and have been way restricted on the American input. I mean, Unleashed was way American. I'm still surprised that SOJ's division of Sonic Team actually hung the anime in the gallows to rot to welcome in an American art style(something that should've been done a long time ago.)

But with the new director of Sonic Team, I think we can say that we can finally look forward to some fantastic games again. I mean the cooperation proved to be helpful with Unleashed. However, I'm still wondering if Sonic Team of America (if this even exists and was the old SEGA Technical Institute) is having any input to the games anymore. Maybe that's been a huge contribution to the irrelevant storylines in Shadow the Hedgehog and 2006.

Well when Sonic dies Sega dies, and Mario will be flushed down the toilet by the ripple effect, Why? Because When Sonic dies all the N00bs will go hoarding over to Mario and eventually kill him, like N00bs do to AMOST EVERYTHING, And Sega will die because of how deeply Sonic is rooted to that company.

Mike_The_Hedgehog said:
Well when Sonic dies Sega dies, and Mario will be flushed down the toilet by the ripple effect, Why? Because When Sonic dies all the N00bs will go hoarding over to Mario and eventually kill him, like N00bs do to AMOST EVERYTHING, And Sega will die because of how deeply Sonic is rooted to that company.

I sure hope so, I preffer Sonic to be cancelled now before he becomes a funky punky pinky squeezy cutie ball.

If he's canceled, Many people wont buy video games anymore. Sonic is just too much of a hit to be cancelled. And what about the video games he's already IN?! You cant get rid of those.

Fyrus said:
If he's canceled, Many people wont buy video games anymore. Sonic is just too much of a hit to be cancelled. And what about the video games he's already IN?! You cant get rid of those.
Wow.... I would feel betrayed but not buy another videogame...?

Wait, I should just face it, that's exactly how I'd react.

Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw said:
Sonic the Hedghog doesn't need more games, he needs HELP! Preferably the kind of help that involves taking him behind the shed and tearfully putting both barrels through his oblivious furry face.

He needs help, but not the kind described above. Unleashed's Day gameplay was a step in the right direction and it's Night gameplay was 2 steps in the wrong direction

The night gameplay was enjoyable, but I certainly agree that it isn't "Sonic". I don't think we have to worry about another game starring the werehog; even if it does happen, perhaps it'd just be the werehog by itself, which I wouldn't mind, honestly.

Why did everyone have a problem with Sonic wielding a sword again?

Sega getting rid of sonic is like nintendo getting rid of mario

or huston droping Bomberman (if he is the mascot)

Sega's not out of the woods yet but they're hanggin in there.

:SonicMaster: said:
The Wii controls are quite fun for hitting enemies.

I most enjoyed the Wii controls when it was used for climbing poles. Fighting enemies was nothing special, except that the sensitivity of what registers as a hit makes planning combos impossible, and while you can survive without them, combos can easily make the game much faster.

EDIT: Whoops, thought we were in the Unleashed topic.

If we are going to concern ourselves with whether or not Sonic will bite the dust, then we should see what they have recently done involving Sonic. They have brought in a new producer who's taken several steps to improve the design process. They've spent three years on a brand new engine, have set up both Chronicles and the Storybook series to be ongoing continuities, and are seeing Sonic Unleashed as a way to attract newcomers as well as please oldbies, implying that by bringing the audience's attention back they will make more Sonic games that will do him justice.

All of these seem unlikely for a character about to be put in the garbage bin, even one with such a horrible reputation as Sonic. Additionally, a mascot generally will live as long as the company lives or until it is replaced by a new one. Sonic is quite literally the face of one of SEGA's biggest studios, so even if he wasn't improving, it is unlikely he will fade away.

Now whether or not they should cancel Sonic is a different matter. Sonic's been through the best and the worst of video game quality, however that does not seem reason enough to kick the bucket on its own. When Sonic no longer serves a purpose, cannot possibly serve up a decent game, and the end product can no longer justify the time spend making it, then he needs to be dropped.

Sonic's purpose is to provide fast-paced platforming featuring the familiar mascot. Shadow the Hedgehog seemed to upset this need (which is forgiveable for the occasional spinoff so long as it isn't very poorly) made), but otherwise he technically serves his purpose, but the extent to which he does so is debatable.

Sonic has all but proven he cannot come up with a decent console game, but Sonic Rush and Sonic Rivals show that he can still shine on the handhelds. While these may not be the quality packages the originals were, they are games worth the play-through and solidly built. Secret Rings and Unleashed both offer promise in a new realm of platforming where it becomes almost more of a rollercoaster and a race track than mere exploration (though the latter offset it with traditional platforming). Secret Rings was unrefined in some control aspects, but Unleashed was fully polished. These promise that Sonic can serve up a decent game if only the team can make it happen.
Whether or not the decent game is to your taste depends on how much you like his new direction. This does not affect the quality of the game itself, however... though it will tend to modify your judgment on its quality.

Third the cost to make vs remuneration is one that is best judged by looking at the sales. Sonic's come under heavy fire by critics and fan-communities, but its sales still have served to, at the very least, justify the making of the game. This is mostly hypothetical, I cannot make an absolute judgment on this without seeing the sales tallies. One may hold that this is the only reason why Sonic has remained during his darkest fall, because at the time of Shadow's release, it didn't seem like Sonic was what he should have been or could be what they need him to be.

Therefore, Sonic should not be canceled, especially after all of the investments that would pay off more by keeping him (hedgehog engine, Chronicles, etc).

In my personal opinion, Unleashed was a great deal of fun, and I certainly want Sonic to stay around long enough to make good on his promise. It doesn't look likely that they are going to put him to an end, at any rate, so perhaps he shall.

It's a bit like I said before, the new Sonic games are actually quite decent, save the Wii versions, because you can't really do anything on that piece of s***. Sonic won't die, obviously, because SEGA needs him. Barely any other SEGA games are popular at all, so why leave him? The people at SEGA aren't idiots.

...well maybe some are.

To say Sonic '06 is the only bad game is an extreme matter of opinion. Others may argue that Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity also weren't so hot either.

Well, you're right there. that is MY opinion, unfortunately, not that it maters, I kinda liked the Demo I played of 06' Even though Sonic was Super Slow, I kinda liked it... :P

Eliwood said:
Well, you're right there. that is MY opinion, unfortunately, not that it maters, I kinda liked the Demo I played of 06' Even though Sonic was Super Slow, I kinda liked it... :P
I know. 06 was kind of fun.

Although I never hated any of Sonic's new games, I can understand how people can have a grudge against Sonic. Are the new games really that bad, or is it not the SA2 Sonic experience you hoped for?

Blue Warrior said:
To say Sonic '06 is the only bad game is an extreme matter of opinion. Others may argue that Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity also weren't so hot either.

Sonic 06 just wasn't sonic's strong point. The actors were rushed during the development which lead to very poor voices. I even expected better dialogue from silver (I don't care what most of you may think of him but he's a good character reguardless of sluggesh manuvering). Like most players who look at it from another view and say "on the other hand..."

The way the areas were made were beautiful, the city looked adventurous (if the characters were faster than a slug with small rockets strapped to it's shell). Gameplay was akward but fun if you take some time to work at it. Sad to say but truthful....today's world is very fickled and we always prematurely judge things without fully appreciating what it gave us, even if it's so little.

Why do you think we make levels, characters, and mods here? Is it to prove what we can do? To be better? Or is it to help improve the game to make it the best experience since the blue hedgehog's first apperance?

Sonic will never be scrapped.
People keep buying the games like bleeting lambs no matter what.
As long as he is still a good cash cow for SEGA, I cant see how he'll be ditched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back