SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Old 02-15-2016   #81
MetalKnux101
Iron Claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
There's nothing to improve with Meadow Match because it's not fixable. Slopes or scenery or whatever aren't going to change what the stage is: a box with shit in it.
Just because it can't be up to date level design wise doesn't mean it can't be up to date aesthetics wise. It uses the same set of graphics as GFZ, so I'd imagine it's at least getting the updated skybox. While we're on the topic of Match maps, are Tree Ring, Midnight Abyss, Airborne Temple, and Zims Base from v1.09 ever getting brought back and revamped?
MetalKnux101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #82
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

Meadow Match will get visually updated over my dead body.
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #83
MetalKnux101
Iron Claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
That is okay with me.
MetalKnux101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #84
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalKnux101 View Post
Just because it can't be up to date level design wise doesn't mean it can't be up to date aesthetics wise. It uses the same set of graphics as GFZ, so I'd imagine it's at least getting the updated skybox. While we're on the topic of Match maps, are Tree Ring, Midnight Abyss, Airborne Temple, and Zims Base from v1.09 ever getting brought back and revamped?
I would like to see Tree Ring and Airborne Temple return. I always loved those maps.
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #85
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic2p3 View Post
I dunno. Working with a small player count doesn't necessarily mean the stage is good.
"Good" depends on the objective you're trying to accomplish. Most match stages are too labyrinthine for a two-player match -- most of the time they'll just get lost trying to find each other. Simple battlegrounds mean it's easy to keep track of the other player's location and keep the fight flowing. As far as actual stage design goes, it's pretty well-rounded; there's a lot of open space, but there's high ground, low ground, cover, etc. The imbalances it does have can be easily improved upon with some minor stage tweaks.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #86
Zwip-Zwap Zapony
Please just call me Zappy.

Not quite related to the discussion of this preview, but I noticed this preview hasn't been in an announcement on the Steam group for Sonic Robo Blast 2. Which I think isn't intended, considering it has announcements for the "2.2 tidbit trio" preview and even the "public source code migration". Just thought I'd mention it.
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #87
verifiaman
The master of verification.

So is there a limit to how high or low a slope's elevation can be?
Old 02-15-2016   #88
Zwip-Zwap Zapony

Quote:
Originally Posted by verifiaman View Post
Not beyond the actual map limits (like whatever the maximum height variation a map can actually store is)... but if the angle exceeds more than, say, 70-80-ish degrees, you'll very quickly move backwards down the slope instead of upwards if you run into the slope.
Old 02-15-2016   #89
Boinciel
ヒトデパンと奇妙なジャム
Developer

You probably shouldn't have slopes that are steeper than 1 horizontal fracunit per 32 vertical fracunits, it's pretty unstable beyond that (and looks pretty ridiculous). Slopes can be completely flat, though.

hubjim
Boinciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #90
Supersonic2p3
Kurri | Kawaii Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post
"Good" depends on the objective you're trying to accomplish. Most match stages are too labyrinthine for a two-player match -- most of the time they'll just get lost trying to find each other. Simple battlegrounds mean it's easy to keep track of the other player's location and keep the fight flowing. As far as actual stage design goes, it's pretty well-rounded; there's a lot of open space, but there's high ground, low ground, cover, etc. The imbalances it does have can be easily improved upon with some minor stage tweaks.
Eh, I haven't played SRB2 in years so my opinion probably isn't as valid. I just don't recall enjoying it as much as the other maps.
Old 02-16-2016   #91
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by verifiaman View Post
The physics and collision get really weird and strange and don't work properly if you go above 45 degrees in either direction (~60 if you have the ramp sector special applied). Visually, walking up anything more than 30 will look really strange in most cases anyway, but for decorative stuff that you'll never touch you can do just about anything. I'd avoid super-steep slopes, though.
RedEnchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #92
verifiaman
The master of verification.

But a little break in-between the slopes that's good? Like slope, a bit of flat floor, then slope again?

Man I remember when you had to have OpenGL for this function back in SRB2CB.

Edit: I meant as in, you go down a slope thats as deep or high as the game will allow without glitching up, and theres a sector that's tiny to give the illusion that the slope is continuous.

Last edited by verifiaman; 02-16-2016 at 02:30 AM.
verifiaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #93
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

No, that's not how it works. The problem is the angle you move at. If you move more than 24 (48 with the ramp sector) units per step (where movement is broken up into steps up to 16 units long in each dimension), the game treats it like you're walking either into a wall or off a ledge. It's not something I plan to fix, because slopes that steep have other issues anyway.
RedEnchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #94
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

how usable would quarter pipes be?
glaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #95
Blaze The Cat
& Knuckles

I can't wait to be able to abuse slopes in Speed-Runs.

In all seriousness, this is a pretty phantasmal upgrade. You have some amazing coders to actually get properly working ZDOOM slopes in there. My personal favorite is the new CEZ, it has its own flavor to it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
All you really need are some objects and slopes to hide behind, or maybe a range of textures.

Last edited by Blaze The Cat; 02-16-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Blaze The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #96
Unknownlight

What wizardry did you guys do to get slopes working in Software, anyway? Is there any chance similar wizardry might be able to one day increase the 35 FPS max?
Unknownlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #97
Zwip-Zwap Zapony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownlight View Post
Is there any chance similar wizardry might be able to one day increase the 35 FPS max?
There have already been publically released "uncapped" builds of Sonic Robo Blast 2 on the message boards a while ago. Unfortunately not updated, I think. It could go up to 60 frames per second (maybe more?). However, the smoothing of objects' movements had to be done manually object by object, so not all objects were smoothed correctly beyond the 35 tics per second.

But to answer your question... While I'm not a developer for the game, I'd be very surprised to see the default frame-rate of vanilla builds increased... since the whole game pretty much relies on doing stuff every 1/35 of a second, so it's of course ideal to use 35 frames per second.
Old 02-16-2016   #98
That2rb2DUDE
Splatoon 2 Top Player

Sick ramps dudes.

Are some of the Match & CTF stages getting this to?

Twitter: @ThatSrb2DUDE
That2rb2DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #99
MK.exe
Lazy, Lazy and lazy?

How about the devs focus on SP first so that is ready for release.

Then in a future update to focus on other aspects of the game, such as visual diffrences and bugs fixes.

Im just supposing. :T
MK.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #100
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

Singleplayer campaign levels , and Multiplayer features to be more specific since there's nothing wrong with the current Multiplayer levels , It's just Multiplayer mode isn't that comfy .
RomioTheBadass is offline   Reply With Quote