Unusual SIGSEGVing

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... I've been getting SIGSEGVed a lot trying to get the CHAR image to work. For now, the only way I can select my character is through multiplayer.I've used the 256-color palette to try to avoid that, but it's not helping. My CHAR & LIFE images are pretty much the same apart from resizing the CHAR to 128x128, & the LIFE icon doesn't have any problems, so I'm not sure what to do.
Here's the OBJCTCFG for this character; since it's only the character select that's malfunctioning, I think the error is in here...

-------------------------------------------

#Lexyr created by yoshimccloud2419

Character 0
MenuPosition = 10

Character 1
MenuPosition = 20

Character 2
MenuPosition = 30

Character 4
MenuPosition = 40

Character 5
PlayerName = Lexyr
MenuPosition = 50
PicName = LXYRCHAR
SKINNAME = LEXYR
Status = 32
PlayerText = N/A
Boing!
Lexyr's
character select screen
isn't working. Ergo,
a good PlayerText
is unnecessary.#

-------------------------------------------

*The CHAR pic is my avatar.

I know this is entirely unrelated to crashing at the character select screen, but can you play as him in splitscreen?

I think your problem is that you have the "SKINNAME" value in the object config different then the "NAME" value in the S_SKIN. I can't really tell since you didn't put the S_SKIN up.

Here are some links that will help you with other common character wad problems that you might have.

Setting up XWE to have lowercase lumps - http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/XWE_Tutorial#Lowercase_lumps_and_other_menu_options

"R_InstallSpriteLump: Bad frame characters in lump EMERA0" error - http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?t=2982#f5

Also, you don't need the stuff before the "Character 5". That was just an old thing that you had to do back in the 1.08 days. MenuPosition is completely useless now.

No, I don't use splitscreen because I'm the only one who plays the game. I've thought of trying it on my own, but I don't have 2 controllers & my keyboard is filled up with BIND keys.

No, it didn't help much, seeing as they're the same name already.But thanks for the 'unneeded stuff' advice. Here's the S_SKIN so you can verify the name.

name = LEXYR
face = LXYRLIFE
facename = LXYRNAME
ability = 0
multiability = 1
actionspd = 60
homing = 1
thokitem = 18
normalspeed = 36
runspeed = 0
thrustfactor = 1
accelstart = 192
acceleration = 50
nojumpspin = 1
spin = 1
spinitem = 22
startcolor = 113
endcolor = 127
prefcolor = 11
boxindex = 5
runonwater = 1
waterskip = 0
allowsuper = 0
lightdash = 1
ringslinger = 1
slingitem = 249
dsjump = dsspndsh
dsaltow1 = dsboom
dsaltow2 = dsboom
dsaltow3 = dsboom
dsaltow4 = dsboom
dsaltdi1 = dsboom
dsaltdi2 = dsboom
dsaltdi3 = dsboom
dsaltdi4 = dsboom
dsspin = dsbleep
dsspndsh = dsbleep
dszoom = dsbleep
dsthok = dsbleep
mindash = 30
maxdash = 30

By the way, I've read up on the Wiki already & know what to do for the 'bad frame characters' thing. But I've tried messing with the picture to get it in 256 color format, & even copied & traced it in white-on-black to attempt repair, so I'm quite sure it's not the picture.

XWE should convert it to the srb2 palette automatically. You might just want to upload the wad so we can see it and try debugging it. Upload it to sendspace, since it doesn't need to be permanent.

Torgo said:
XWE should convert it to the srb2 palette automatically. You might just want to upload the wad so we can see it and try debugging it. Upload it to sendspace, since it doesn't need to be permanent.

Well, actually, I've worked out some other kinks I've had, so I'll probably put it here as a WIP. The sprites are currently a rearrangement of Tails' sprites, but I'm working on editing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back