SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > SRB2 Forum Archives

Old 09-19-2007   #161
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Sykotic, analog has never worked in netgames. The netcode doesn't have anything to send the position of the camera to other players.
Old 09-19-2007   #162
ST218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic
The problem isn't really camping, cueball. The problem is large game dynamics.

Let's say, for instance, that you're playing a 6v6 game. 1 person on each team is going to be flag running. At least one person needs to be trying to get the flag back from the other side. Where is the most surefire place to catch the opposing flag carrier? At the base, of course, right? Hence, the general result is that one person is carrying the flag on each team, and there are five people camping the opposing base, making it impossible to score. Neither team's flag carrier can get into their own base, and then the game stagnates, neither team wanting to do anything and disrupt their position.

Should the flag carrier drop the flag somehow, it will be placed right in front of the 5 people camping the base.

Now, obviously, in a real game situation, players aren't always going to be in the exact spot they want to be, either because they need items or just got hit, but in general, somebody is going to be camping the base always, which makes it very hard to return the flag to the base. Whether or not this is a bad thing is a matter of opinion.
Which is why I think having multiple flags and bases would be brilliant.
Old 09-20-2007   #163
Sykotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic
Sykotic, analog has never worked in netgames. The netcode doesn't have anything to send the position of the camera to other players.
Well, make it work :<
Old 09-20-2007   #164
Segmint
Permanently Banned

Why can't SRB2 have 65536 colors instead of 255 for the palette? It would make everything so much easier (along the lines of sprites, textures, etc., and fitting them in the palette). People could make richer versions of what I stated within the parenthesis...
Old 09-20-2007   #165
Boinciel
ヒトデパンと奇妙なジャム
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segmint
Why can't SRB2 have 65536 colors instead of 255 for the palette? It would make everything so much easier (along the lines of sprites, textures, etc., and fitting them in the palette). People could make richer versions of what I stated within the parenthesis...
1. Genesis Sonic games had palettes of 64 colours and came out looking very nice. SRB2 is supposed to be a representation of the classics in 3D, and has more than enough colours for that.
2. A palette requires people to be creative with textures through spriting. Anyone can nick a texture off the Internet and say "HAY GAIZ I MAED THIS LOOK GUD IN ARB7!!!!" but it requires skill to come up with good textures.
3. Getting all those colours would mean that we could just switch to OpenGL. And as that saying goes... "OPENGL SUX KTHXBAI"
4. I don't like having all those colours. I work better with a palette.
5. Various other technical reasons. XWE converts textures to Doom format. Doom format requires a 256 colour palette. 256 colours will end up being the same old thing SRB2 uses anyway, so why bother?
Old 09-20-2007   #166
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

1.1 has a better 256 color palette than 1.09.4, with much more variance in the colors available.
Old 09-20-2007   #167
Rob
Administrator

I'd still love to see SRB2 use variants of the colors for COLORMAP, though...Seriously, DooM increases the red for the palette within the PLAYPAL lump itself. Why SRB2 can't do the same is beyond me. Y'know, one blue-hued set, one red-hued set, one green-hued set, one yellow-hued set, etc.
Old 09-21-2007   #168
supersonic45
not a loli i swear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint
Seriously, there should be a way to have several flags in a map without one disappearing forever (because you took two at a time). I suggest that this be fixed by disallowing the player from carrying one, or by a player grabbing two, and capturing two, and going to any open bases afterward (also, if the player presses the toss flag button, it should either throw both, or only one out of what the player has).

This brings up:

Sector Type - Flag Return (Red)
Sector Type - Flag Return (Blue)
It would work, however wouldn't we need excess programming...?
Old 09-21-2007   #169
Segmint
Permanently Banned

The point of the suggestions topic is to suggest things. I leave the programming to the people that may or may not actually put it in the game.

><
Old 09-22-2007   #170
Blade the vampire

I have a question about the match maps. When you do a match map....some n00b host put respawn item time to 0 and then hog the auto-ring because of its location. Think that theres any chance of making saphire falls with more hiding spots? N00bs always hog the item boxes as well. Also, add black into the srb2 colormaps. They have grey, but not black. :( Besides that, think maybe there can be more types of powerup rings? And....A way to permannently ban someone from your server would be nice.
Silent_hill.wad (IIIIIII___) 65% complete.
Ok, stop reading my signature, or your eyes will explode......................
Old 09-22-2007   #171
on Edge

Add back the color black for Sonic and co. "ZOMG ITS A DARK MAP WE CANT SEE TEH CHEATER" isn't an excuse. If it's a dark map, I doubt you'll be seeing him anyway. You may also complain about things like color silver in snow levels for all I care.
Old 09-22-2007   #172
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Yeah, I agree that it's flawed logic. Naturally, it's going to take you a bit longer to notice a green Sonic hiding behind a bush than another colored skin, and same goes for white in snow backgrounds. I don't really think black should be kept out because people know how to use it to their advantage.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
Old 09-22-2007   #173
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

http://ssntails.sepwich.com/mb/viewt...2926&start=675

I already explained my reasoning on that one, no reason to do so again.
Old 09-22-2007   #174
Blade the vampire

Well, if black is like......a really bad hiding in game mechanic before then......why not make it so that there is a blue outline or something...Or better yet make the colors so that like, make it shiny looking like grey in the areas that normally would be shaded, or......put white spots....Or none of these can be done because of what is explained in the link? I'm guessing the latter right? But meh, just a suggestion.
Silent_hill.wad (IIIIIII___) 65% complete.
Ok, stop reading my signature, or your eyes will explode......................
Old 09-29-2007   #175
I'll Begin
💪🐑

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinciel
A new flag for objects, MF_VERTICALSCROLL. Instead of the sprites rotating horizontally (Sonic, Crawlas, etc.), they have sprites that move in a vertical yada yada yada
No. That goes in favour of OpenGL mode, for one, which is why AJ wouldn't do it, but it also will look really bad in some cases, especially when you're at ground level and the camera is looking over the sprite very slightly. Also, you don't really tend to look up and down that often except when you don't know what's over a cliff, or when you're in Match/CTF. And you can't look up and down in Software, like I said.

Also, it would be very hard to make in the current engine, and the sprites wouldn't have any way of knowing how to rotate vertically correctly. And also that would mean HEAPS more work for AJ.

And it looks fine as it does already. It gives SRB2 a unique feel, whether it's <descriptive noun> like in Software, or Paper Sonic like in OpenGL. I like both the way they are.
Old 09-29-2007   #176
SSNTails
What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?

MF_VERTICALSCROLL is doable, the only problem with it is the massive loads of extra art it requires.
Old 09-29-2007   #177
Kaysakado

No, he doesn't mean both vertical and horizontal, he means only vertical, for stuff such as springs, that you usually see from above.
Old 10-06-2007   #178
Chaos Knux
Daww, a mother and her foal

Default New idea just want discussed before put in suggestions topic

JTEBOTs in regular SRB2, but only as an unlockable feature or in alternate gametypes.

Example:

Match-no bots allowed
BOTMatch- bots to fight

Useful when MS is down and you want to play tag/match.

(Im not evading ban, my ban has miraculously vanished)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy Hooves; Today, Tomorrow, and Forever
SUPER NARWHAL, MY MUFFIN!
Old 10-06-2007   #179
Boinciel
ヒトデパンと奇妙なジャム
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysakado
No, he doesn't mean both vertical and horizontal, he means only vertical, for stuff such as springs, that you usually see from above.
Actually, I meant only for any objects that use the "See This Sprite For All Angles" trick. It wouldn't cause a massive increase in filesize, only as much as normal rotations take up. You'll end up with either horizontal or vertical scrolling, not both.
Old 10-11-2007   #180
JEV3
There and back again~
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNTails
As for the crosshair thing... what about a 'negative' colormap? You know, like in an image program when you choose 'Negative Image'.
I like the idea as it would fix the problem with certain crosshair colors being unnoticeable... (I was wondering if that was an intentional handicap...) So long as its transparency isn't distracting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpshade
Certain shades of grey mess negative up
As in ones that are real close to their opposites? I think most of the grey textures in SRB2 have enough different colors in them for it not to matter. (THZ and SA-THZ for example)

~The Greatest Adventure: Ballad of the Hobbit