SRB2 Juicebox: A New Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished moving everything over to a launcher yesterday, it will just be a single download with everything you need to play on the server. You won't need to track down mods and install them yourself, or anything like that.

Oh thank god. I take it that the launcher still needs testing?

Last edited:
Oh thank god. I take it that the launcher still needs testing?

I haven't had the chance to show anyone else the launcher so far, but it works perfectly fine for me and I'm assuming the same will apply to everyone.

The "launcher", by the way, is just an instance for MultiMC that will load everything up for you when you launch it.

Just one more question. Are there any plans to do stuff like you did on the old map charyb? You know, the dungeons? The adventures? The EPIC LOOT?

Remember you cannot distribute the jar file, you have to supply only the patch files.

@Bloodshot:
No, not this time around. There is plenty else to keep you all busy, though. We will have a nice spawn area, but that is about all this time around. I'm afraid with the mess of getting the server set up, it just won't be feasible to develop anything like that.

Shadowhog said:
Wait, I'd thought all the mods were server-side? I'm not installing client-side mods, no.

Where have you been? The screenshot itself should be enough to evidence that such is not the case. And oh you~ client side modding hasn't been a hassle, and I'm almost sure you would enjoy it. It will be easy! :)

No... that does sound bloated actually.

No, really, that many client/server plugins cannot be healthy.

And what exactly are these "unhealthy" attributes you speak of? Care to give me the technical side of it? Plenty of people before you have hinted at this hidden and obscure danger, with similarly unconcrete words, yet we have never experienced any problems in our testing. I assume it's something server related?

Remember you cannot distribute the jar file, you have to supply only the patch files.

That's basic, we've known that since we started.

Source: I'm a plugin developer.

Hm, maybe it's just me, but when you have to tell us just how credible you are so that we give you credibility, it almost seems like you are trying too hard. Just let your reputation do the job. :p

Also, Updating the first post with new information, everyone. You should read it.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be that one guy who keeps complaining about the mods in this pack, but I'm seeing some issues with Mystcraft. Don't take this the wrong way; I love the mod. It's just that I can see some big issues with it for SMP. With the creation of so many custom dimensions, won't that start to take up too much memory on the server? Also, players could get permanently trapped in a bad world if they're not careful, and with the portal system, it's possible to grief afk players by stranding them in a new world with no way out. Then there's the "dense ores" symbol. Don't you think players would get too powerful too fast with so many ores, or would the instability be too great?

Don't feel bad about voicing any problems with it, it is all appreciated as long as you have put some thought into it, which you obviously have. And as far as that goes, I don't honestly know. Mystcraft has been bugged so far, so I haven't had the opportunity to test anything about it. All I know about it is what it does. I know Sp47 has used it before though, so maybe he can answer.

However, from what I read, you can always escape a world if you get stuck in it. You just have to travel until you find a star rift.

Eeeehhh, I don't quite know. We did consider the pony mod as part of it, but decided against it I think, because it modifies base classes. Also, any model modifiers would not have worked with Smartmoving most likely. However, since that is out of the picture, I guess we can take a look at both of them again. I guess it wouldn't hurt. No harm in it, at least.

oh sweet jesus what have I done

actually if we could do it without editing base classes, I would, regardless. If anyone was so opposed to seeing the people who want to be ponies, as ponies, then there is an option to turn it off. The same thing with the gender mod, most likely. But since they both modify base classes, you can rest in your pony-free and girl-free peace.

Preliminary Public Testing Starting

Yes, the time is drawing near. Server launch is scheduled for the 27th, and it being the 22nd, that is only five days away! In expectation of this we are both opening donations to the server fund, and opening the beta pack to the public. For the sake of science. Also, so that you know what you are getting yourself into~

For the beta pack, and the IP to our occasional test server, visit #srb2juicebox on esper.net.

If you want to make a donation to the server fund, which would be very appreciated and much needed, then go right ahead right here. I'll also put this in the first post.

FEAST YER' EYES!!!
2012-11-25_23.15.22.png

Last edited:
So uhh, is there a mod list available yet? I tried the beta pack, and i was a few mods missing, and a few mods not mentioned.

Yeah yeah, it's called "beta" because not everything is updated to 1.4.6 yet, so many things are missing. Sorry, I haven't had time to compile a mod list as of yet. Give me a bit, I'm busy with Christmas and have some more important things to take care of.

Just to give everyone a bit of a heads-up on what mods are going to be in the Juicebox when it goes up tomorrow, I went ahead and went a bit more in-depth on a provided list of the mods for the server, providing links and a short description on most of them.

Current Modlist (v5)
Included are the mods added, along with their addons and links for information.

IndustrialCraft 2 (Wiki)
A content pack that adds elements such as electricity, nuclear power, and additional armor.
Addons
- Advanced Machines (Forum)
- Advanced Solar Panels (Forum)
- Gravity Suite (Forum)
- Petroleum Generator (Forum)
- Nuclear Control (Forum)
- MFFS (Forum)

BuildCraft 3 (Wiki)
A content pack that adds automated alternatives to many activities, along with advanced transport systems.
Addons
- Logistics Pipes (Wiki)
- Additional Pipes (Currently lacks information for a general overview and recipes. Will be updated once it has some)
- Thermal Expansion (Wiki)
- Forestry (Wiki)

Red Power 2 (Wiki)
A pack that expands upon Redstone by providing a greater amount of wire types and additional circuitry.
Addons
Wireless Redstone CBE (Wiki)

ComputerCraft (Wiki)
A mod that adds elements such as computers and robots for assistance in mining, security, etc.
Addons
Misc. Peripherals (Forum)

Extra Biomes XL (Wiki)
Adds many more biomes to the mix of biomes available in Minecraft.

ThaumCraft 3 (Wiki)
Introduces magical elements such as wands and arcane research.

RailCraft (Wiki)
Expands upon the rail systems in Minecraft by adding numerous ways to customize them, including Cart dispensers and elevator tracks.

Steve's Carts (Wiki)
Adds not only ways to customize the appearance of your kart, but also adds features such as solar power and seats with steering capabilities.

Twilight Forest (Wiki)
An alternate world featuring animals such as deers and other passive forest creatures, and bosses such as Liches

Balkon's Weapons (Wiki)
Adds many new weapons, ranging from a spear to a full-on cannon.

Portal Gun (Wiki)
Adds the Portal gun, along with other Portal elements such as turrets.

MystCraft (Wiki)
Adds alternate universes and dimensions

Soul Shards (Forum)

Nether Ores (Wiki="http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/Nether_Ores"]Wiki[/URL])
Adds Overworld ores to the Nether, though they are much more unstable and can possibly explode when touched.

Obsidian Pressure Plates (Wiki)
Self-explanitory. Obsidian plates are only triggered by players.

Omnitools (Wiki)

Backpack (Wiki)
Adds more storage in the form of craftable and carryable backpacks.

Chicken Chunks (Forum)
Adds an item that keeps chunks loaded even when a player is out of range.

Factorization (Forum)

Rei’s Minimap (Wiki)
Self-explanitory. Adds a minimap to the top-right that displays player position.

Enderstorage (Wiki)
Adds a form of private storage that works across chests with specific codes. Functions similarly to Vanilla's Ender Chests except the storage is bound to a certain code made with dyes.

Inventory Tweaks (Wiki)
Offers additional ways for one to organize their inventory.

Not Enough Items (Wiki)
A fusion between Too Many Items and Recipe Book. Improves upon crafting by highlighting available recipes that use the highlighted item.

Optifine (Wiki)
Gives additional graphics customization options to improve performance.

The Aether and Enchanting Plus are also slated to be added in once they are updated to the latest version of Minecraft.

CHANGELOG

12/27/12: V5 - Mo' Creatures has been removed from the modlist due to causing crashes on the server.

Last edited:
I was watching Elf, sorry. :)

Anyways, fantastic job. I was not looking forward to having to compile all that, and you have relieved that pressure from me. Thanks muchly!

Now, to put the finishing touches on the spawn...

Also, only I say this because there were people who mentioned that they wanted to donate, but haven't yet. If you're interesting in donating, you can go right ahead with this button here. Much appreciated! Thank you Metal-Rawr, and Cinefast, for your gracious donations we received. :)

And what exactly are these "unhealthy" attributes you speak of? Care to give me the technical side of it? Plenty of people before you have hinted at this hidden and obscure danger, with similarly unconcrete words, yet we have never experienced any problems in our testing. I assume it's something server related?

Plugins modify Minecraft, of course there will be stability issues with too many of them. This is without question. Even if they use API layers like ModLoader and Forge, there can still be issues. Hell, we even have to watch out for these in Bukkit.

I can guarantee you, testing is never enough. We did months of testing of server stability, and users were finding problems down the line left right and center because they were doing things nobody had thought to test, because you can never test every bit.

We do a lot of inhouse plugins for our server by the way, and if they don't agree with each other all hell is let loose, as a lot need to bypass the APIs supplied by Bukkit and co and interface with Minecraft directly, so you lose a lot of the sandboxing and compatability resolution that the APIs provide (and yes, with this many plugins, at least half of them will be bypassing APIs).

Hm, maybe it's just me, but when you have to tell us just how credible you are so that we give you credibility, it almost seems like you are trying too hard. Just let your reputation do the job. :p

It's been a while since I've been here, and AFAIK you weren't around when I was, so I imagine you wouldn't know much of my 'reputation', plus I only started plugin dev after giving up my staff position here. I spoke of that for you benefit to back my point, not for the others who already know me and my shenanigans.

Oh and by the way, these can all be implied to be server-side (in reference to you addressing ShadowHog), as Spout exists for just this reason. To allow servers to do all the hard work and all users need to do is have the Spout Client installed. If I were you I'd watch your lip, a condescending attitude doesn't give a good impression to others, and if you want to admin a server you need to come across as friendly and approachable or your users will do a 180.

Last edited:
Launch is at approximately twelve o' clock tonight! Be in #srb2juicebox if you want to join in on the fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back