• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Seaside Valley Zone AKA MetalHead7's Mod (Under Construction)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kirblord23
Oh, cool! I was confused because the consul said it set a texture to redwall.
Anyways, I tried your version too. I think i like the variations of grass textures better. i'm not wild about the checker grass texture, but in small doses it's alright i guess. By comparison the normal grass has a much "lighter" feeling to me.

About the button -- actually, that was just experimental. I was just trying to learn about linedef executors, sorry. And it was set so that the button only appeared when playing as Sonic.

Thank you for your input, Gamerman. I have already implemented some of your suggestions. (EDIT: Specifically, the air bubble patch, since the water area is bigger now.) I'm 85% done as of now. The other 15% is that beach at the end.

I have made some changes which I will post soon:
Changed some grass flats so they aren't all checkered.
Remade the 2x scaled grass flats, they look a little better next to each other now.
Removed the red button mentioned earlier and its effects. There is now a monitor there -- I can't remember what kind; it might've been speed shoes. (Side notes: That's there to give a small reward to those skilled at monitor-bouncing; also, no, that wood texture isn't custom. That's in vanilla SRB2, though currently it remains unused.)
Cave at the end is now nothing but water with some floating platforms. The cave walls are not climbable -- this way, Knuckles can't make it too easy for himself. Tails can still pass this area easily, however.

Will post another beta after I finish the beach area at the end. I am taking suggestions as to what to put there, and I likely will implement a few things that go with what I have in mind.

Last edited:
The only problems now that I have with it is that the cave at the end has absolutely nothing to challenge you, which you said you're already remedying, and that there's no way to backtrack after entering the room that has the Sonic-only button.

Last edited:
There's no way to backtrack after entering the room that has the Sonic-only button.

Oh, that's right! I'll fix that right away. I'll add a red spring in a clever place.

EDIT: New update, see first post for DL.

Last edited:
Time to be brutally honest with you.
The platforming at the end is a mess, because it's just that: platforming. It looks ugly. Nothing but floating platforms that only cover the latter half of the cave. The player has to pretty much either know what's coming or rely on super-quick reflexes to not fall into the water. Not to mention the textures you chose for the collapsing platforms are just terrible for the zone you put them in. How do stone bricks make any sense in a checkered rock cave? Either ditch the platforming altogether and go for a more architectural route(I.E. varying levels of cave floor below and above the water level, to make it look like some of the rock had eroded), or make the platforming less ... ugly.

The pillars on the end beach also just look terrible and completely contrast with the rest of the scenery. If you're hell-bent on adding secrets and scenery there, why not do actual beach stuff? An umbrella, a picnic mat, stuff like that. And you have that tree right next to the end post. Why not stuff something in that?

TL;DR: You were doing so well in the beginning, but the level just falls apart at the end. There's nothing good about it.

I guess I didn't put enough thought into the cave and beach at the end. Thanks for showing me that.
It's going to take me a while to design architecture in the cave that I'm happy with. Don't expect an update for a while.

EDIT: By the way, how'd I do on emblem placement?

Last edited:
I'm not saying that's how you HAVE to design it, but as it is now it's ugly and completely out of place with the rest of the map.

Well, get ready for another wall of text!
First off, liking the new grass texture. a lot less ugly.
Now, let's get to those screen shots.
rEYhgUi.png
THIS AREA.....my god! It's a pain in the @$$ to navigate as sonic, and you wouldn't think it's that hard when you first look at it... but man is it bleh!
do something with the placement of the platforms! It's awful.
Moving on:
gX4ijFB.png
Please put a spring in front of this tree. I should have to use the one in the lake. Next:
fecPIA5.png
I'd really like to compliment your hiding spot here. I love it. But I digress.
Lr1HTst.png
More poor planning for sonic players. I can't get up here! What where you thinking?
And on the subject of jumps:
vI2mUOP.png
DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THIS ONE. It took me three annoying tries to do this, and even then it was by the skin of my teeth. Just add a plat in the middle! Cheese and rice! Did you play test this? It's needlessly annoying. I know I'm exaggerating, but it seriously need work. And it just goes down hill from there. Those stones are quite a bit hard to cross, so you'll probably end up taking the alt route which means...
NjRd5Mi.png
Trying to cross another annoying jump to here. I like the fish Idea, but even though I made it across, The spring overshot me, and I fell in the drink as sonic. This entire area needs a lot of work, but I feel like it can be salvaged pretty easily.
Now, I don't have another screen shot of the beach at the end this time, but I have a bit to say. First, those pillars are way to hard to cross. I couldn't even imagine doing it as sonic. Second, it's still boring an empty. Take my advice, add a few crawlas of both colors, some rings leading toward the goal, and some of the many types of flowers. It will look much better.
Now for some mild things. First This is good:
71f50d8.png
I don't know about everyone else, but I think these stone stairs add just that much more life. just don't over do it. however, this
5w7A1OA.png
is bad. They blend in with the wall, and look fugly. Why not try making them stone as well?
On a final, seemly unimportant note..
43ME5N4.png
What's up with this plat (besides the screen shot glitching for some reason.) There's no way to reach it as sonic besides dropping down, which is pointless.
In conclusion, this is getting better, but still needs some work. I'm kinda bored, so I'll make you a version with a few changes to show you more or less what I'm looking for. Feel free to use it if you want. Just give me a bit of time.

Last edited:
@Kirblord23: True. But, I've given some thought to this and I can't come up with anything better.
The concept that's forming in my head right now is to put a longer, more suitable platforming section in the cave, some of which will take place underwater. I'm not sure how not to make it look like some kind of ruins, though.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Hmm. I didn't think it was that difficult. I'll mess with the shapes of the platforms and see if that makes it a little easier.

The spring is supposed to be hidden, more or less. That tree holds a number of secrets, after all.

Why thank you :3

If you've become pretty good with the controls of the game, it's easy to reach there by spindash-thokking off of the nearby raised ground with the ring monitor on it.

This section is going to be remade from scratch.

First, those pillars are way to hard to cross. I couldn't even imagine doing it as sonic.
It's possible (though not easy) as Sonic if you're good with the controls. The pillars are likely to be removed, though.

Add a few crawlas of both colors, some rings leading toward the goal, and some of the many types of flowers. It will look much better.
Crawlas, yes. Flowers...maybe.

Why didn't I think of that?

Perhaps I should put that somewhere else more logical.

I'll make you a version with a few changes to show you more or less what I'm looking for. Feel free to use it if you want. Just give me a bit of time.
Sure, go ahead.

I do really think you should utilize the water in the cave more, make it part of the area instead of a simple pit of punishment.

I looked at your wad, gamerman. You made some good visual changes, but the FOFs and other sectors you added are going to be replaced by something new. I will consider adding the enemies and rings at the end.
Question -- have you made levels of your own at some point? Just wondering.

@Kirblord23: I plan to.

@metalhead
I've tried. I just wasn't very satisfied with them. Also, the water I was using broke at some point. it completely glitched out.
If you like, I can try to dig up some of my old levels. they were intended for a character with homing attack though.
The fof's are fine now.. but if you can think of something cooler, go for it.

Last edited:
good map but you have to put sceneries in some large and empty area like the laste area. add some crawlas too.

who don't have heroesadventure.wad:
Moderator Notice:
Don't use editing for releases... and especially don't use another person's topic to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back