• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

BIG the cat! WIP from SADX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started working on a Big the Cat wad!

t7ee0i.png

This is my first project, so any tips? Also how should this Big play, as nobody likes Big, and nobody ever made his wad before. SADX style, plays like Heroes anybody? What should his ability be? Also after I finish Big, I will possibly do E102.

Why is the aspect ratio all wrong? He's too wide.

Sprite could also really use some anti-aliasing, if only within the sprite as opposed to the edges (since the Doom sprite/patch format doesn't allow partial transparency).

The sprites I've seen so far make this project look like it should be a MD2 instead of a character wad.

EDIT: From looking at it again, I don't know if the colors on Big are in the SRB2 pallate. Then again, I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
I still had to get rid of the gloss, and rip them from the game. The camera makes it a pain. Doesn't matter really. Could still release it somewhere maybe if quality is good. Is this really true?

You have to make your own sprites, as rips won't be allowed.

Taking screenshots from a game and then remaking it into SRB2's palette is, however, allowed. Straight rips are disallowed, but if you want your favorite character from a game made, and are willing to put in the effort to make it work properly in SRB2, go for it.

You have a long ways to go to make this work though.
#1) I guarantee you that the current size of those sprites will make it impossible to play SRB2 in. You won't see anything.
#2) As many people have said before, the perspective is off. The camera angle absolutely needs to be changed for the screenshots you are taking.
#3) You need to apply appropriate shading and lighting effects for this to work. Currently, these look incredibly ugly and lack any sort of detail that would make this stand out as something good.

I recommend you take 1 screenshot from 1 angle, and work on that until you have a style that you're happy with. Then go and take the rest of the screenshots and mimic that style.

Taking screenshots from a game and then remaking it into SRB2's palette is, however, allowed. Straight rips are disallowed, but if you want your favorite character from a game made, and are willing to put in the effort to make it work properly in SRB2, go for it.

Oh.
THEN WHAT THE FUCK?
My wad wasn't allowed because it was a picture of a model that I put into a program and edited the shading on it.
It was put in rejected submissions.
This sucks on ice.
Anyway, about the camera...Well, you already know what to do about it...

Oh.
THEN WHAT THE FUCK?
My wad wasn't allowed because it was a picture of a model that I put into a program and edited the shading on it.
It was put in rejected submissions.
Just because this is technically a legal submission doesn't make it in any way a good idea. I'd say that one look at this pretty clearly shows that it's not a good idea because it looks awful. It's just not disallowed by the rules of the forums because unlike sprite rips, which were submitted in droves in the past and therefore got disallowed, this hasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back