• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Mystical Heavens level pack UPDATE JFZ1v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblahbal

Act 3 FTW!!
This is a level pack that I am designing for my senior project.

*UPDATE* The current version is 0.5.5: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e225f162bf9d58ec90a82c7bb0fad7adcc1c18cb88bbb680d6e38d13f15c3e80
It now has the level header loaded, and parts of Magma Cove(MAP11) and Skybound River(MAP05 & MAP06).
Jadeflower 1 has been lengthened!

Here is the level pack's logo:
dscn0331srfjgd.jpg

Yes, I know it looks a lot like The Mystic Realm's logo; it's because Mystic Realm and Blue Heaven inspired me to create this level pack.

Here is the zone list(with the emerald stage listed after the dash):
Jadeflower - Mud Valley
Twisted Paradise - Poison Citadel
-Possible senior project level-
Skybound River - Aquatic Temple
-Not on my senior project--for later-
Quicksand Woods -
Icy Forest - Cold Mountain
Magma Cove - Molten Freeze
Night Gardens - Dark Plant
Egg Factory
Rainbow Vision
And the extras...
Plasma Grave Zone
Swift Moebius Zone
Hazardous Mire Zone
Zany Zenith Zone
Neolithic Cavern Zone
What do you guys think of my level names?

Here is my progress:
JFZ1 - 51%
JFZ2 - 32%
TPZ1 - 25%
TPZ2 - 2%
SRZ1 - 48%
SRZ2 - 4%
QWZ, IFZ - 0%
MCZ1 - 4.5%
SBZ - 1%
All the rest are 0%

Here's a screenshot of the first part of the first level:
srb20006.png

Another of Jadeflower 1:
srb20002.png

Jadeflower 2:
srb20010.png

Poor unsuspecting Crawlas...

Skybound River 1:
srb20032.png

Also, I'm thinking of making a character, Super Blitz Sonic.
Here's the description:
Color: Neon turquoise with a stripe of orange down the front of his head
Ability: Blitz Thok; like the chaos thok of shadow, except if there are up to 5 enemies in close proximity to each other, it locks on and destroys all of them
Possible secondary ability(if you think this ones too powerful, I won't include it): Blitz Dash; like a spindash but much faster;
Mindash = 40; Maxdash = 100
Hair: messy, like Shadow, but longer
Jump height: 120
Super ability: Super Sonic float

Last edited:
Use "screenshot" in console, then upload it to tinypic, then copy the image location and finally, use
. That should help.

I have started it, but i can't figure out how to upload the WAD file because in the "Posting Rules" it says "You may not post attachments". So how do I post it??

That's insanely cramped. There's almost no room, there's no detail, and there's really terrible Thing placement. No multiple paths, no gimmicks at all, and there aren't even working FOFs.

"This is my first level!" isn't an excuse for bad quality.

Yeah, especially considering that this thing is your senior project!

So, I downloaded this, and lemme tell you, this is an awful level pack so far.

First, your wadfile name is too long. I don't want to type out "addfile mysticheavensv0.0.5.wad". I'm a very busy man and my time is important!

Now, your level follows all the possible mistakes you could make in SBR2 Level Building 101. The paths are too narrow, there's too many curves to build up any decent speed, the enemy placement is cruel (Crawls should never be placed on ledges to which you must spring up to), there are too many damn Crawlas in the first place, and the level is pitifully short.

You, sir, have earned a 1/10 ranking, which translates around here as a big fat F-! Best pick up the slack!

Last edited:
What can you expect? It's my first level--

I We expect you know what you are doing. Try the Srb2wiki if you need help on stuff. And as Kyasarin said
Kyasarin said:
"This is my first level!" isn't an excuse for bad quality. "

So, You may not wanna post your first or second attempt at Doom Builder. Plus 13 zones? That is alot for your first wad.

Yes, I agree the file name is too long. How about "mystheav0.5.wad" or "mhv0.0.5.wad"?
And also, Prismatic Freeze and Egg Factory are tentative and the last three might not be put in until later (although you have to admit that Plasma Grave is a pretty cool name). I will fix the narrowness of Jadeflower 1; I'll move back the Crawlas from the ledge; however, some of this was intended, such as the shortness of Jadeflower 1.

Also, has anyone figured out why this level pack is called Mystical Heavens?
I'll post the answer in 2 days.

Last edited:
---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

So, You may not wanna post your first or second attempt at Doom Builder. Plus 13 zones? That is alot for your first wad.

I know. The reason I posted it is because I wanted to see what everyone would think of it so that I could improve it. That's also because my mentor might not be honest about the quality(although I hope he will!)

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Also, has anyone figured out why this level pack is called Mystical Heavens?
I'll post the answer in 2 days.
Nobody yet?

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

I thank you all for the criticism, and I will take your advice. I should start cracking down on this! Next release will be much better, I promise!

Last edited:
I think this seems like a ripoff of The Mystic Realm, and that logo just proves it.

This pack is pretty lousy right now. Do you even have knowledge of Control Sectors and the like? Sure doesn't look like it, as there isn't even working water. You should at least try to learn water and FOFs at the very least before trying something like this. Trust me, you're best off canning this level pack, and just do seperate levels.

Also, I'm thinking about including a zone called Zany Zenith Zone in the final version of MH. What do you think of the name (tongue twister, isn't it)?

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

I think this seems like a ripoff of The Mystic Realm, and that logo just proves it.

This pack is pretty lousy right now. Do you even have knowledge of Control Sectors and the like? Sure doesn't look like it, as there isn't even working water. Trust me, you're best off canning this level pack, and just do seperate levels.

It may seem like a ripoff, but the Mystic Realm and Blue Heaven.... oh, darn I just gave it away! Well, anyway, MR and BH inspired me to create a combination. However, the water will work in the final version, and the issue with control sectors, well, I haven't quite figured out how to make them work yet, but I expect I will soon.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

That's insanely cramped. There's almost no room, there's no detail, and there's really terrible Thing placement. No multiple paths, no gimmicks at all, and there aren't even working FOFs.

Yeah, especially considering that this thing is your senior project!

So, I downloaded this, and lemme tell you, this is an awful level pack so far.

First, your wadfile name is too long. I don't want to type out "addfile mysticheavensv0.0.5.wad". I'm a very busy man and my time is important!

Now, your level follows all the possible mistakes you could make in SBR2 Level Building 101. The paths are too narrow, there's too many curves to build up any decent speed, the enemy placement is cruel (Crawls should never be placed on ledges to which you must spring up to), there are too many damn Crawlas in the first place, and the level is pitifully short.

You, sir, have earned a 1/10 ranking, which translates around here as a big fat F-! Best pick up the slack!

"This is my first level!" isn't an excuse for bad quality.

I should just redesign Jadeflower 1 altogether, shouldn't I?

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity, what exactly does a SRB2 Level Pack have to do with your field of study? I take it you're into computer programming / applications, or something like that?

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity, what exactly does a SRB2 Level Pack have to do with your field of study? I take it you're into computer programming / applications, or something like that?

Yes, actually, I want to become a video game designer. Since I do want to do this for my senior project, do you think I should redesign JFZ 1?
(Actually, I'm working on it right now)

Yes, actually, I want to become a video game designer. Since I do want to do this for my senior project, do you think I should redesign JFZ 1?
(Actually, I'm working on it right now)
I would suggest reading a guide on level design. No offense, but it doesn't look like you quite understand how to use any of SRB2's Linedef Specials yet.

Your starposts are pointing in the opposite direction that they should should be pointing in, and they aren't properly set up (both are set as the first starpost). Some of your sectors are unclosed and you have overlapping linedefs.

I would highly suggest reading Level Design 101. It should help you understand what goes into making a good level. This SRB2DB tutorial should also help you understand the technical aspects of level design. We used to have a more complete one, but I don't know where it went.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't suggest trying to do such a large level pack while you're still learning the basics of how to build a level. Just take it one map at a time.

Last edited:
How do I create water??

Create a small sector off to the side.

Label the ceiling as where you want the top of the water to be, and make the floor the lowest point of the water. (Try to make it match the floor it's tagged to) Give that little sector an unused tag and go to linedefs.

Right-click on one of the linedefs and give it the sector effect of water (I don't know if you want transparent or not, so just scan through them to find what you want). After that, give that linedef a sector tag matching the sector that you want it to be and exit out. (Ex the sector in the map is tagged 3, then tag this water sector 3)

Right-click on another linedef of the same sector and give it the Sector Effect 606, Colormap (if you want it to be colored). Tag it to the water sector's tag (Ex if the water sector is 4, then give it a tag of 4). Go over to the textures area, click on the upper-right box's textbox, and (this is the default blue colormap), type #0000FFJ.

Create a small sector off to the side.

Label the ceiling as where you want the top of the water to be, and make the floor the lowest point of the water. (Try to make it match the floor it's tagged to) Give that little sector an unused tag and go to linedefs.

Right-click on one of the linedefs and give it the sector effect of water (I don't know if you want transparent or not, so just scan through them to find what you want). After that, give that linedef a sector tag matching the sector that you want it to be and exit out. (Ex the sector in the map is tagged 3, then tag this water sector 3)

Right-click on another linedef of the same sector and give it the Sector Effect 606, Colormap (if you want it to be colored). Tag it to the water sector's tag (Ex if the water sector is 4, then give it a tag of 4). Go over to the textures area, click on the upper-right box's textbox, and (this is the default blue colormap), type #0000FFJ.

Thanks. I couldn't find that in either the tutorial or Level Design 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back