Official Level Design Contest Voting: May/June 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lime Stone Ruin is not in Releases. It was last seen before the contest on the forum in editing. the last edit being on the 24th

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Then it's not being counted, obviously. This will affect Magma Core Zone's score, as Blade has not voted on that level.

I just voted for it, acualy.

Alrighty guys. I will try my best to get FuriousFox or even Mystic to post in here so these problems can stop. I do agree with what you guys are saying. I'll try my best at getting them in here, but I make no guarantees.

At the very least I do not want it to get worse next contest with 3 illegal entries. (Last one had 1 and this one a possible 2)

Single Player

Elemental Mansion Zone, Act 1 by SonicMaster - 7/10

I like it, it's big, with alternate paths, but some parts are way too easy... there are a lot of secrets, but some of them are pointless and/or really near the end, people will skip them...

The music don't fit, try to change it when you go to a part with a different theme than the previous one.

Also, the waterslide gimmick is getting old so soon...

Arid Oasis Zone by Hyperknux - 5/10

A bit small, some pits are hard to avoid, using mario mode with sonic textures looks kinda weird, but it's a good 2D map.

Limestone Ruin Zone by Chaos - 4/10

This could use some extra star post, there are some cheap death traps, your waterslides are really dark, I can't see the spikes before they actually hit me, and it's hard to control sonic with a current so strong, why is sonic doing his running animation by the way?

This map is unplayable in coop, and that's dissapointing.

Techno Meadows Zone by gaiamegu64@yahoo.com - 2/10

almost-everything-is-a-square design, small rooms, missing textures, it's easy to get lost, cheap death traps and almost no secrets in here.

I was surprised to see translucent water, scrolling walls and things like that, at least you learned some usefull things you can use in your future levels.

Limestone Lake Zone by Zanyhead - 6/10

The music is cool and fits well, the caves are a bit too dark, try to readjust the light.
It's a bit small, make it a little longer, that's all.

Magma Core Zone by Blade T. Hedgehog - 8/10

Awesome work, it's hard to figure out how to use the spindash elavators, the rest is ok to me.

You know, I think those torches were there for a reason. It gives you a hint to jump.
He can't do water slides.
How exactly is it unplayable in coop?

You know those colored red, blue, and yellow doors? Well, for whatever reason, they are SHUT in coop, and you can't finish.

Oh, I think those are Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails only doors. If you play as a specific character, one of the doors will be open. In coop, character-specific options are disabled, so all of the doors are shut.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay, you people, on the topic of invalid entires, I have ONE thing to say to all this:

Take a chill pill.

Yes, it's a violation of contest rules. Are they going to win? Hell no, those maps are garbage. Since there is no way in hell their map is going to win, I really see no reason to worry about it right now. The main goal of people entering the contest is to get level feedback. I wish they'd abide by the rules, but they're not going to win entering rules violations that aren't particularly good to begin with.

As a reminder to everyone, do not release your level on the forums if you'd like to enter it in the contest. You will NOT be allowed to win if you aren't a legal entry.

Now, should something like this happen in the future (and with the large number of newbies creating WADs, I'm sure it will), I suggest you all take a chill pill and do the following:

1. Check if anyone else has already reported it. If they have, do nothing; it's been dealt with.
2. If nobody has mentioned it yet, post a reply to the contest topic with something along the lines of the following: "The contest entry Level Name Zone is a violation of rule 2 because it was released here: <link>" so we can disqualify the map.
3. Go back to what you were doing before.

That's all. You guys are making a gigantic deal out of something that simply is not that important. I really don't care if 1-2 maps end up violating the rules if it gets the user who screwed up some feedback on their map and a reminder to follow the contest rules. Vote for it as you normally would, it just can't win.

Now then, go do part 3 and let's get on with this voting.

Backwards Race Zone 7/10
Going through a NiGHTS level backwards at first sounded a bit strange to me. But once I actually played through it, it's not really all that different from the way it's done now. Anyways, I liked the visuals, and there were enough obstacles to keep me from getting bored and turning the race into the drill fest, but nothing about the zone was really all that memorable except you play in the opposite direction.

I might do SP later, if I feel like it.

Kuja said:
You know those colored red, blue, and yellow doors? Well, for whatever reason, they are SHUT in coop, and you can't finish.

I never saw anything with red, blue, and yellow doors, but whatever. No Sonic, No Tails, and No Knuckles have no effect in coop. They were FOFs with such flags.

Just commenting...

I was really looking forward to this contest since SonicMaster pointed out that the level he sent is actually the largest level of SRB2 and it takes place in various environments. I thought at first that the level would be much better than my two favorite maps, Metal Flower and Egg Palace, both created by Someguy. Unfortunately, I don't see him around anymore... well, out with the old and in with the new.

I'll be talking about both Elemental Mansion Zone and Magma Core Zone, since I thought those really stood out in the contest. And, this will be some competition, though I don't understand why. I'll not be giving any ratings, please note that.

First things first, Elemental Mansion. When I first played the level, just that first view I got was something much lower than I expected. I thought it would be something that looks provoking, something that will make me play the level. But, it felt too bland, even if there was a lot of detail. But, the detail was spread out too much, that caused it to look bland and empty. It doesn't matter if there are a lot of sector tags and linedef actions and effects, etc. What matters is how everything looks and operates at the end. There may be a lot more details around, but because they're so far apart, I consider those excess ones useless. The secrets too, I consider not needed, since they didn't really help me in the level at all. I was impressed to see that there was a script in there that when executed, looked as if you were talking to the player. Still though, I thought that wasn't needed.

The level wasn't cramped at all in any places and it had fine gameplay (controlling Sonic through the level), but it was boring. The level was pretty easy, and yes it looked like it took a lot of time to make, a lot of time and concentration, and kudos to you on that. But, I was mainly surprised to see that it didn't look like something I've expected. I agree with all of Mystic's comments as well. I was really looking forward to this level just after hearing you mentioning it and describing it. But, after playing it, I didn't really like it... Well, then that's my loss.

SonicMaster, please note that this was just in regards to the level, not about your attitude towards me. I didn't relate to that in the comments in any way. I was really looking forward to this level, but it turned out to be something the opposite of what I was expecting. Again, my loss.

--
Now, for Magma Core. The expectation of this level was totally the inverse of that of Elemental Mansion. What came out of it, again was totally the opposite. I'm glad that this level was made, and I was really into this level, its scenery, the perfect music, and the nice level effects. It was a great level! I had a lot of fun playing through it. I actually hoped for the level to be much longer, perhaps the length of Metal Flower Zone, since I just enjoyed the level that much. The secrets you've embedded in this level were amazing. It's mainly how those secrets were placed in the level. The interesting differences that separated the level from the secret was great, and it made me want to move forward to get there. And, the hidden Chaos Emerald, nice hiding spot.

Now, my only concerns about this level:
  • 1. When I first played the level, I had no idea what to do on those platforms with vertical rings floating above them. Only after reading this topic, I've figured out what I had to do.

2. The exit area. You had to touch the center of the whole lava pit, where the End Sign is, in order to finish the level. When the lava rose, the platforms kept going up until it hit the ceiling, simultaneously killing the player. If the exit sector was increased, perhaps the entire area where those floating, bobbing platforms are, then that would prevent an unnecessary death. But, that's just my opinion.
If I were going to score, obviously based on the comments, Magma Core would get a higher score than Elemental Mansion. Don't ask why I didn't rate. My answer would obviously be, "I chose not to." In general, I just gave feedback. Because I didn't vote (in this case, giving a rating/score of 0-10), the rules for voting are discarded from my post.

Well yeah, I never give a response to contest threads, but because I was into this (reasons: see first paragraph), I just wanted to post.

Everything is just too big. It makes the fire section particularly dull. I learned something very important from this contest: A Gelespious-Mountain-esque sector layout does not work with any other zone. It just doesn't. The fire section would have been otherwise not dull if it had simply been shrunk down.

Either way, I'm trying to fix these problems in Act 2. While the themes in Act 2 have already been done before, they're less generic than what I have in Act 1.

Ash was wrong. I didn't base the sector layout off Dandjr Palace Zone. I based it off Gelespious Mountain. And it hurt majorly.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Everything is just too big. It makes the fire section particularly dull. I learned something very important from this contest: A Gelespious-Mountain-esque sector layout does not work with any other zone. It just doesn't.

A Gelespious-Mountain-esque sector layout does not work with Gelespious Mountain.

Try a Magma Core layout next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back