• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Jay's Miscellaneous Makings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

I'm lazy, let's face it
So, I thought some Mario stuff needed to be made.

castle1.gif

Map isn't finished, and probably won't be. It's just there to show off the textures.

BobOmb-WIP.png

WIP Bob-Omb enemy that I still need to finish. (huge thanks to many of you on 'fun for the criticism and help with drawing)

PowerUps-WIP.png

Some powerups that I need to work on

srb20006.png

srb20008.png

srb20016.png

Some of these are outdated, by the way, but most of them aren't.

I've also got a script in the works, but I'll clean it up a bit before posting it (it's far from finished, though).

Criticism is welcome.

Last edited:
Isn't there already a fire flower power-up in the game? Y'know, Mario Koopa Blast? It would look better with that texture, however.

This is really cool man! I hope you make a Bullet Bill enemy that SRB2 REALLY needs. Keep up the work on Peach's Castle too, don't give that up!

Isn't there already a fire flower power-up in the game? Y'know, Mario Koopa Blast? It would look better with that texture, however.

Yes there is, he is just providing new sprites for it.

Other than that, I really like how Peach's Castle is turning out. My only complaint so far is how small everything looks. I would resize it just enough so it doesn't feel small or cramped to the player. Everything else looks really good so far.

PROGRESS

progress.gif

Yeah, there is, but I've gone ahead and scripted my own -- basically balanced it a bit. In the classic Mario games, you could only throw two at a time (whereas in SRB2, you can throw dozens at one time, provided you click fast enough). Since this has a dash button (also like in classic Mario games) I made it so that you press dash to throw one, not ring toss. However, I added a one second delay between shots (until I can figure out something better).

This is really cool man! I hope you make a Bullet Bill enemy that SRB2 REALLY needs. Keep up the work on Peach's Castle too, don't give that up!

I already have textures for a Bill Blaster, but I'm not going to make a Bullet Bill until I finish the Bob-Omb.

Other than that, I really like how Peach's Castle is turning out. My only complaint so far is how small everything looks. I would resize it just enough so it doesn't feel small or cramped to the player. Everything else looks really good so far.

It seems a bit small, yes -- keep in mind this was just a little map I made to show off the castle textures (which is why there aren't even fences or properly aligned linedefs in some places). However, I'll more than likely fix this next time I touch the map.

Great! Those tiles look good for me. I also like the collectibles and tubes.
The player doesn't still look good for me when he has eaten the bouncing star.

That's likely due to the Gif being recorded in software mode, which only has that limited 256-colour palette. OpenGL would probably look fine, though it may or may not benefit from having the afterimages only spawned every 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th tic.

However, I have to say, everything looks absolutely gorgeous. Edit: Except the carpet, it mostly looks like a solid colour. Some more difference between the bright and dark parts wouldn't be a bad idea for the carpet textures.

Last edited:
THINGS ARE HAPPENING!
thedoor.gif

For those of you who gave criticism on the map, is this better?

I've had a long day, mainly because of surgery, so I'm done for today. I'll pick this up tomorrow, though.

Great! Those tiles look good for me. I also like the collectibles and tubes.

What exactly doesn't look good? Is it the star, the way it disappears, or the player himself?

Except the carpet, it mostly looks like a solid colour. Some more difference between the bright and dark parts wouldn't be a bad idea for the carpet textures.

The GIF above has this fixed. I was lazy and used vanilla SRB2 textures before, but now I'm using custom ones.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion for the Fire Flower, I'd say make the fireballs bounce off the walls once if they hit them at around a 45 degree angle, and after about 3 seconds if they don't hit a wall almost dead-on or hit an enemy, make them despawn.

I'm glad to see someone actually working on Mario-related things and from the look of those sprites and the map, really high quality stuff too.

That's likely due to the Gif being recorded in software mode, which only has that limited 256-colour palette. OpenGL would probably look fine
OpenGL might be technically capable of displaying more than 256 colors, but it still sticks to the same palette as Software when displaying sprites.

The GIF above has this fixed. I was lazy and used vanilla SRB2 textures before, but now I'm using custom ones.
Yep, that definitely looks better. Though the room itself still looks rather small, but as you said, it was mostly made to showcase textures when you made it.

OpenGL might be technically capable of displaying more than 256 colors, but it still sticks to the same palette as Software when displaying sprites.
I know that, but it doesn't create gray messed up colours if combining two or more colours with different hues or something. Software can only display 256 colours at max, no matter if they are mixed or not. OpenGL can display 16777216 colours, I believe, since even though sprites themselves are still limited to the palette, it does have true-colour mixing capabilities. That is especially noticable when thokking, due to transparent sprites, and/or in dark rooms. And since the rainbow aftertrail when picking up the star is from transparent sprites...

Last edited:
I mean the after images of the player.
Do you personally dislike the after-images themselves, or just how gray they look in the gif due to lack of true-colour blending in software mode? Personally, I believe they look outstanding in OpenGL, but as I haven't had a chance to test it, I can't know for sure.

I'm loving all of this, I was really hoping that Mario content would get more attention outside MKB, and I'm specially loving how the star invincibility is looking. If it helps anyhow, I had a lot of sprites that were planned for SRB2 Riders' Kart mode, but went unused due to lack of updates.

kc07bm.png

Feel free to use any of these~

But.. it's a Mario Starman. Those have eyes. they always have eyes.

Not in Mario galaxy series, this is just a star that randomly flashes, it makes afterimages while running, I think the one we have there is based on this.

But.. it's a Mario Starman. Those have eyes. they always have eyes.
I know, but... to me, they should either rotate or have no eyes. I know the 2D Mario games have non-rotating Stars with eyes, but those games are 2D, while Sonic Robo Blast 2 is 3D (or technically well-executed 2.5D). It just wouldn't look right with it having eyes that face everywhere.

Jay probably could use the ones with eyes for a Power Star equivalent if nothing else has been started on yet. That is to say if those type of collectibles will be important to this project anyways.

Looking good so far. The only thing I can say is that the room seems kind of small for an intro area. The width anyways. If there are going to be more doors I would suggest widening the room. Other than that things are looking mighty fine as is for now. I glad to see some more Mario material in SRB2. Will be keeping an eye out for how this progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back