Greenflower Ruins Zone (s_greenflowerruins_v1.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal96

Here it is!

Greenflower Ruins Zone 1: Starts in a lush, greenflower area, and proceeds through some tunnels, open areas, and metal ruins lying around. Then, a forest area with a fast stream and waterfall that propelles you into a lake. Go through the hole in the ground to a zoom tube that takes you to what's left of Greenflower City, but desertized by the bomb. Run through the city; it has some tough jumps and springs to go through, and the exit is on a large plateau of rock.

Download: http://sites.google.com/site/metal96site/

Follow the site instructions!!!

Screenshots at the site, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
This has a LOT of room for improvement. It basically works, but has some things that I really would want to question.

First of all, why did you use ERZ2 music? It doesn't fit with any of the three themes you had throughout the level. I would pick something like GFZ for the first, a jungle type tune for the next, and ACZ for the third theme. You can change music using linedef executors.

It also seemed like you used zoom tubes for no reason. It seemed to me like you used them just for the sake of using them. They should have some sort of purpose.

My last thought is that some of the sectors are too narrow and should be widened. You don't want cramped hallways in SRB2. It screws up the camera, and makes it hard to play.

One last thing, when you submit something to the releases submissions, please put the filename in the subject line. I changed it for you this time, but I ask that you keep putting your filenames in your submissions. Thank you.

Last edited:
Well, I did like the music, a lot, and I also like zoom tubes.

I'll change those things and post it back here sometime. Thanks for telling me.

(What did I miss? I was away for half a week and the whole MB changed. Information reqired!!!)

This is a good level, needs more scenery still. You have to try different gimmicks at the skyscapers. Other than that, good job.

Didn't like this level too much. It seems to be a cluster**** that doesn't know what it wants to be. You show proficiency in using the various features (zoom tubes, collapsing floors, etc) so there's a plus. Overall, the level didn't "flow" too well, though.

Now, I think it's obvious that this is not good. At the beginning you have three hallways with grass on the floor and random enemy placement on top (Why did you even use crawlas? Now that we have tons of enemies to choose from, I thought there would be more variation, but everybody STILL uses crawlas). The layout also looked pretty random. Third, please use some decoration. Flowers, for example. The whole beginning section looks horribly empty without some decoration. And if you use a different floor texture (like in your middle path) please make the whole floor have that texure.
The next room looked a lot better. Decoration, more clearly defined shape and some texture variation. But why do you have a path that uses a long string of springs (always a bad idea, it's boring to take spring after spring without doing something), proceeds into a unnecessary zoom tube and leads into the same starpost that you would have landed in by just going forward?
Next up is a waterslide. Not bad, but you should give the player some obstacles to avoid while sliding.
Then you land in an empty underwater room with a zoom tube in the middle. Please do not make you rooms so large if there's nothing in it. The zoom tube itself is one of the better parts of the level because it actually lets you SEE something. The only problem is that a room full of pipes and a death pit doesn't look very pleasing.
The next part is the worst. Walking small pillars over a death pit isn't fun. The textures clash together and there are a lot of visual glitches. Then small collapsing platforms with crucial jumps. This felt kinda unfair but at least I had some fun doing this.
Again a set of springs leads to the next platforms which is so full of enemies that one can barely move at all. It goes on for a while like this (narrow platforms, long sets of springs, tons of enemies) until you reach the exit sector. One problem is that the player has no choice but to follow the path. You should give the player the opportunity to stray from the path to find something interesting (you did this before in your level).

So this level is a failure, but not a complete failure. First, you got the basics down, which gives you one point. And second, your level didn't consist solely of jumping platforms but instead used waterslides and zoom tubes, which gives you another point. What keeps your level from being anything more is covered in the above paragraph. If this is your first level, please don't give up now but try to improve your map.
2/10 (which means one star in the rating system).

Well, I like spring chains. I'll add some other platforms and a second zoom tube path, along with stuff in the... lake? Guess you didn't find the stuff in the lake...................................

Well, I like spring chains. I'll add some other platforms and a second zoom tube path, along with stuff in the... lake? Guess you didn't find the stuff in the lake...................................
I did. I also found the other secret which was actually pretty well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back