A Trio of 2.2 Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the former, as usual. We usually change a lot with each major version, so conversion of savedata from older versions may not be practical anyway.

Mystic, i've waited many months and no srb2 2.2 yet! Get it on with it and fast!

To be fair, calling Mystic out on his procrastination isn't the worst comment you could post on a half-year old news thread. (Which is the second most recent news thread, by a margin of ten days.) (Thanks, Rob.)

Mystic, I've waited many months and no srb2 2.2 yet! Get it on with it and fast!

A quote from the website:
"While development on new content has been slow due to all of the patches to 2.1 last year"

If you had a rush of updates of cause you will be slow.
There was 15 2.1 updates and 2.1.0 did not work for Non-English players and 2.1.13 had a major error.

EDIT: If you count the 2.1.14 hot-fix then there was a total of 16 updates. The developers need some time off.

Last edited:
The best thing that can be said about development right now is "gone splatting, try again later". A good chunk of the active dev team has gotten trapped in playing whatever the hot new game is in their free time, so progress has been slow. That's not to say nothing's happened since the news post was made - quite the opposite, in fact - but I wouldn't expect 2.2 any time soon. Part of the blame can also be attributed to feature creep; anyone who's lurked IRC when we post screenshots knows exactly why.

That said, we're due for at least another news post at some point soon.

To add on to what Red said, keep in mind that the developers have lives outside of SRB2. They're hobbyists, not an indie game development crew. Their paychecks don't come from making the game or from "early access" players - they come from jobs that take up a lot of the devs' time. Of the little time that's left, they need free time and breaks to preserve (what's left of) their sanity.

They lose money to keep the site up, too. Since they're not going to sell the game or profit any, they're not as motivated as an AAA publisher that wants to earn more than they spend, appeal to consumers, and whatnot.

Just give them time for 2.2 like you gave them time for 2.1, and it'll be worth it like always.

Last edited:
So many SRB2 users act like they're entitled to get these updates. The developers are making the game on their free time because they like to, not out of obligation for you. They could have just dropped SRB2 years ago and left it at v2.0 or something.

You know what's more entitled than some random newbie asking for an update? Three backseat moderators jumping on his post and defending the dev team and showing how adult and how patient and how understanding they are.

Keep it classy, guys.

Just commenting on the tendency of like five people to say the same thing in succession to one person

A modding question: Will there be, in this update or some future update, support for having save files on .wad characters? I understand the problem is probably related to story progression with the main game or something, but as I've noticed most .wad level files keep their own save files, so would it be possible to have a separate set of saves when a .wad character is loaded too?

A modding question: Will there be, in this update or some future update, support for having save files on .wad characters? I understand the problem is probably related to story progression with the main game or something, but as I've noticed most .wad level files keep their own save files, so would it be possible to have a separate set of saves when a .wad character is loaded too?

You can already do that, actually. Just add a MAINCFG to a character WAD and set the proper parameters without adding any levels or clearing the existing ones.

You can already do that, actually. Just add a MAINCFG to a character WAD and set the proper parameters without adding any levels or clearing the existing ones.

Yeah? Maybe you could link me to or send me a pm with more detailed instructions on how to do that? I've not done much editing, I just play the game.

Awesome game by the way, 2.2 is looking really good. :)

Yeah? Maybe you could link me to or send me a pm with more detailed instructions on how to do that? I've not done much editing, I just play the game.

First off, you would need some WAD editor, I might suggest SLADE, it's probably the best you can find around the internet.

Then, you can create a MAINCFG lump in the WAD and write the necessary things in it.

http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/MainCfg#Data_handling
This will surely help you~

hey i got a question, correct me if i'm wrong but i think back in '13 or in '14 i saw a picture where there was a cyan knuckles in eggman's ship that's in GFZ Act 3. i was wondering if there was gonna be a .wad file for that in 2.2 ?❓

Last edited:
Referring to this thread, I'm sure it was just one of a multitude of Lua tests, since it was only just introduced to SRB2 then.

that first post is also the reason as to why many tend to type "LUA" vs. "Lua"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back