My problem with Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

on Edge

Sorry for two topics in one day, but pokemon (my only fun DS game) failing me kinda created my need for more DS games, so you can see the conection.

Right off the bat, I use the AR to speed raise. (I'd be willing to help out other people with my awesome-ness.) I do not find grinding fun or innovative. This means that I skipped strait to competitive battling, using endgame "bred" pokemon and exchanging them for other ridiculous (but legal) pokemon at the drop of a hat. I had a good sandstorm team, but my brother and best friend added a but load of water and fighting moves, so you can see how that went badly. I now do not have a pokemon team.

I've sworn not to use anything weak to ice, fighting, or psychic. I've noticed that sweepers/choice/life orb pokemon are the most plentiful of possible movesets, but the least fun to play as. I've also noticed that the aforementioned are incredibly difficult to fight. So what do you guys think? What have I overlooked? What staple strategies have I missed? How can I beat sweepers without whore-ing myself to Wobbofet?

Use PP up, HP up, and vitamins to make your pokemon better. And don't use a 1 type team. That just makes you an easy defeat.

The problem with Pokemon? Hidden values.

You're shown the stats, but not what makes the stats - some of the most important things to know are made hidden from the player. It's annoying.

I believe using rare candies give the pokemon LESS stats than you would with regular training.

Also I also believe that fighting a specific wild pokemon may determine the way your stats increase(I trained my Electrobuzz on some part of the ocean and its attack went up by 10 O.o)

You should also have a team of pokemon that can learn moves which can COUNTER its own weakness such as Arcanine with thunder fang. If it cant counter, then you cant guarantee victory. If you were fighting a friend, the most obvious thing he would do is switch out and go for you weakness (in this case would be water). You would select thunder fang and it would hit his (insert nub water pokemon here) and it would recieve serious damage or instant defeat.

That's how I roll anyways.

MetalGear said:
I believe using rare candies give the pokemon LESS stats than you would with regular training.

Also I also believe that fighting a specific wild pokemon may determine the way your stats increase(I trained my Electrobuzz on some part of the ocean and its attack went up by 10 O.o)

You should also have a team of pokemon that can learn moves which can COUNTER its own weakness such as Arcanine with thunder fang. If it cant counter, then you cant guarantee victory. If you were fighting a friend, the most obvious thing he would do is switch out and go for you weakness (in this case would be water). You would select thunder fang and it would hit his (insert nub water pokemon here) and it would recieve serious damage or instant defeat.

That's how I roll anyways.

Huge common misconception. If the EVs are already there, then it wouldn't matter either way. You can get EVs via vitamins or battling, like you noticed in the italics.

Also factor in the Attack of Arcanine, the fact that Thunder Fang is a weak move, lack of STAB, and the fact that the water Pokemon in question could very well be a physical wall.

Always a good choice to stop sweepers would be a wall. They usually stop sweepers dead, if they are the correct one. If you want to stck to a sand stream team Metagross wouldn't be a half bad choice. High defense and some EVs to sp defense makes him a very good tank. (Don't get me started on a trick scarf Metagross =P) Another idea is just make a faster sweeper. If you wanted, even work with a ninjask and baton bass into one of yours to power the other one up.
And as stated, IVs are awful, but very helpful.

EV is a lie, how do you explain my hacked Steelix raised with ONLY Rare Candies has 460 Defense stat? (Captured at level 2)

Sonnarkku said:
EV is a lie, how do you explain my hacked Steelix raised with ONLY Rare Candies has 460 Defense stat? (Captured at level 2)

Very ignorant, look at it's base-stat for Def. It has one of the highest base Def. stat out of the whole game.

emblempride said:
Sonnarkku said:

Very ignorant, look at it's base-stat for Def. It has one of the highest base Def. stat out of the whole game.

And my Rare Candies were also used on a experimental Gyarados, till' level 40, his stats were Hp 145, Attack 119, Defense 75, Sp Atk 64, Sp Def 98 and speed 88.

EVs work like this:

Each Pokemon has an "EV yield". What this means is that if your Pokemon defeats this, it will gain EVs that the defeated Pokemon gives.

E.g. Garchomp. Garchomp gives +3 EVs to attack. Any Pokemon that defeats a Garchomp will gain +3 attack EV.

Each Pokemon can have 510 total points, and each stat can have 255 points. However, since 4 EVs in a stat is (apparently, not entirely sure) is equivalent to one extra point at level 100, and 255 not being divisible by 4, the effective cap for each stat is 252 EVs.

If you have two of the same Pokemon, say, two Aggrons, with identical natures, and IVs, and both level 100, but one having 252 EV points to attack and special attack, the other having no EVs to either of those stats, the one with 252 attack EVs will have 63 more attack/special attack.

The level up method doesn't matter. (of course, if you used a candy, the Pokemon wouldn't gain any EVs from defeated Pokemon) If you maxed out EVs at level 50 and then used rare candies 'til level 100, there would be no difference.

If this is tl;dr, then in short: rare candies level a Pokemon up by one level. That's that.

Don't forget IVs...

IVs are Individual Values, IE, the things that make every Pokemon unique (Unless cloned or pokesav'd, of course). They give random mini-boosts to Pokemon from birth. they aren't apparent at first, but as they level up, they gain some bonus stat boosts.

Kopper said:
Huge common misconception. If the EVs are already there, then it wouldn't matter either way. You can get EVs via vitamins or battling, like you noticed in the italics.

Also factor in the Attack of Arcanine, the fact that Thunder Fang is a weak move, lack of STAB, and the fact that the water Pokemon in question could very well be a physical wall.

thunder fang works pretty well for me....
and what is STAB?

STAB is Same-Type-Attack-Bonus.

Basically, if the move's type matches the Pokemon, the move's power is boosted by 50%.

Thunder fang has a power of 65. If an electric type knows Thunder Fang, then the power becomes either 97 or 98. (I don't know whether the 32.5 is rounded up or down in this game, though it should be rounded up). When an electric type knows Thunder Fang, it is far from weak.

This works with the majority of moves (there are exceptions, such as future sight and night shade); Hyper Beam with STAB becomes 225, which is ridiculously powerful, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back