Various things about SRBII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I played SRB waaaay back in the day, and observed the beginnings of SRBII (for example, in 2D form). Recently I rediscovered the SRBII project, and I've been playing the game avidly. I have some comments, some of which you may hear or may already be irrelevent, but I feel I should give you a rundown on my entire reaction to the game.

First, the demo is excellent. I'm hoping that there are more levels thrown into the final game... and I was curious, why exactly is the last level (Robotnik Egg Zone or something?) demo-exclusive?

Second, Super Sonic really must be completed to enrich the whole Sonic experience. I have been working for hours and hours to get all the chaos emeralds, and then Sonic transforms into a Superman parody? I'm trusting that this is a demo-only joke, but I would just like to comment on a few good ideas for Super Sonic. First, Sonic should be invincible (duh). Sonic should be able to run faster (duh... I think). But, I would also recommend that Sonic be able to jump higher, and maybe to try to include another trick or two that non-super-Sonic cannot do. Giving Super Sonic a true special ability would really enrich the experience of the game, and also give players a great reason to play the game through as Sonic rather than Tails or Knuckles.

Third, the front-end to the game is great. I downloaded it from the addons page, I think. But, even the frontend doesn't have an option to save your selected options for the next time you start. This means that one must load in every addon level/character every time he or she wants to play them.

Fourth, on the subject of addons, it would be fantastic if a graphical menu could be included for selecting addon maps/characters to play. If not that, it would at least be a big help to have instructions in the manual for how to load the levels. I had no idea how to play addon maps until I just happened to discover that beating the game with addon maps loaded just sent me to the maps, as the next stage, rather than ending my adventure then.

Probably the biggest issue I have with character control would be movement in midair. I have spent most of my time playing as Sonic and Tails, and I must say that Sonic's movement seems very good. Being able to shift in mid-air and then use the "thok" attack is very useful. However, this does not ring true for Tails: normally when I'm in the air as Tails, I want to be able to actually shift the direction I'm going, because I'm flying. I think a lot of the problem has to do with the fact that Tails is given realistic inertia. If I were to solve the problem myself, I'd suggest that as Tails moves to the left or right, it gradually (but quickly) decreases his forward/backward speed of his movement. This way, one can easily move in all four directions while flying as Tails.

The camera is another concern I have. Personally, I think the camera does its job great for the most part. However, it might be a good idea to set spots where the camera automatically adjusts to a specific view. One good example here is in Techno Hill Zone 2. When one tries to enter the secret conveyor-belt space, the camera doesn't adjust to the view of the conveyor-belt. Instead, it gets very confused and the view of the character is obstructed until the camera later resets itself to a view of the character. Maybe, in this case, it would be a good idea to have the camera automatically adjust upon touching down on the conveyor belt.

Some bugs I've noticed that are probably my computers's fault:
Ogg Music seems to have huge synchronization problems on my machine. Is there any specific reason for this? Typically what happens is that the music is at normal speed as long as I am constantly pressing keys on the keyboard. But even if there is action going on onscreen, if I am not pressing lots of keys (for example, if I am simply holding up to run forward) the music still start to skip and bubble. Weird, huh? And my other problem with sound is that, upon discovering my problems with Ogg music, I have been playing using midi. But for some reason, occasionally various instruments in the midi tracks will start to drop out and the songs become convoluted ghosts of what the music should actually sound like. Though this may be my computer's doing, is there any way I may fix it? Maybe there is something in SRBII that could be done to help the problem?

Other than that, I'd have to say that the game is really very good. After reading a bunch of posts on this board, here are a couple more comments:

-I think Tails' speed is exactly what it should be. It's fast but still let's the player have fun. And it also gives the player good reason to play as Sonic, since Sonic is that much faster.

-The secrets are very entertaining. Especially the Nights level. (By the way, the increased jumping power that the characters have on that level is almost exactly what I would recommend should be given to Super Sonic.)

In any case, great work, and I hope I will get a response to my comments. This game is fantastic and honestly I find it a lot more fun than anything Sonic-related that Sega has put out recently.

BenSpinSpace said:
First, the demo is excellent. I'm hoping that there are more levels thrown into the final game... and I was curious, why exactly is the last level (Robotnik Egg Zone or something?) demo-exclusive?
Castle Eggman is demo exclusive because, well, it really isn't that good. We tinkered it together for Demo 4 to add a little more content, that's all.

BenSpinSpace said:
Second, Super Sonic really must be completed to enrich the whole Sonic experience. I have been working for hours and hours to get all the chaos emeralds, and then Sonic transforms into a Superman parody? I'm trusting that this is a demo-only joke, but I would just like to comment on a few good ideas for Super Sonic. First, Sonic should be invincible (duh). Sonic should be able to run faster (duh... I think). But, I would also recommend that Sonic be able to jump higher, and maybe to try to include another trick or two that non-super-Sonic cannot do. Giving Super Sonic a true special ability would really enrich the experience of the game, and also give players a great reason to play the game through as Sonic rather than Tails or Knuckles.
Super Sonic already has a special ability. If you hold Spin while jumping, Super Sonic will hover until you let go. I personally don't want him to jump much higher, because that lets Sonic reach more places he otherwise shouldn't be able to reach. It's hard enough to make certain characters able to access something only. =P

BenSpinSpace said:
Third, the front-end to the game is great. I downloaded it from the addons page, I think. But, even the frontend doesn't have an option to save your selected options for the next time you start. This means that one must load in every addon level/character every time he or she wants to play them.
The person who currently maintains the launcher (me) has absolutely no knowledge of Visual Basic except for the basics, and as such is totally incapable of adding actual useful features, like saving of your config. I'm sorry, but there really isn't anything we can do about that one unless someone with VB skill helps me.

BenSpinSpace said:
Fourth, on the subject of addons, it would be fantastic if a graphical menu could be included for selecting addon maps/characters to play. If not that, it would at least be a big help to have instructions in the manual for how to load the levels. I had no idea how to play addon maps until I just happened to discover that beating the game with addon maps loaded just sent me to the maps, as the next stage, rather than ending my adventure then.
That would be nice, but it's nearly impossible to implement.

BenSpinSpace said:
Probably the biggest issue I have with character control would be movement in midair. I have spent most of my time playing as Sonic and Tails, and I must say that Sonic's movement seems very good. Being able to shift in mid-air and then use the "thok" attack is very useful. However, this does not ring true for Tails: normally when I'm in the air as Tails, I want to be able to actually shift the direction I'm going, because I'm flying. I think a lot of the problem has to do with the fact that Tails is given realistic inertia. If I were to solve the problem myself, I'd suggest that as Tails moves to the left or right, it gradually (but quickly) decreases his forward/backward speed of his movement. This way, one can easily move in all four directions while flying as Tails.
Tails' flying control is a known issue and is already trying to be resolved. I think AJ already fixed it in analog control mode, actually.

BenSpinSpace said:
The camera is another concern I have. Personally, I think the camera does its job great for the most part. However, it might be a good idea to set spots where the camera automatically adjusts to a specific view. One good example here is in Techno Hill Zone 2. When one tries to enter the secret conveyor-belt space, the camera doesn't adjust to the view of the conveyor-belt. Instead, it gets very confused and the view of the character is obstructed until the camera later resets itself to a view of the character. Maybe, in this case, it would be a good idea to have the camera automatically adjust upon touching down on the conveyor belt.
This is due to the fact that the camera is blissfully stupid. All it's doing is hovering behind the player a certain distance. The problem with this is that it'll have issues in small areas like that. The only real solution to that is to use the camera reset key. Sadly, our stupid camera is still better than the Sonic Adventure games.

BenSpinSpace said:
Ogg Music seems to have huge synchronization problems on my machine. Is there any specific reason for this? Typically what happens is that the music is at normal speed as long as I am constantly pressing keys on the keyboard. But even if there is action going on onscreen, if I am not pressing lots of keys (for example, if I am simply holding up to run forward) the music still start to skip and bubble. Weird, huh? And my other problem with sound is that, upon discovering my problems with Ogg music, I have been playing using midi. But for some reason, occasionally various instruments in the midi tracks will start to drop out and the songs become convoluted ghosts of what the music should actually sound like. Though this may be my computer's doing, is there any way I may fix it? Maybe there is something in SRBII that could be done to help the problem?
News to me. I've never heard of that issue before. You might wanna try upgrading your sound card drivers.

BenSpinSpace said:
I had no idea how to play addon maps until I just happened to discover that beating the game with addon maps loaded just sent me to the maps, as the next stage, rather than ending my adventure then.
That's not about addon maps, that's a weird-ass thing Mystic decided to do with his level pack, adding the new levels to the old ones. If you try the individual single-player levels, you'll see that they all (I think) load as the first map, and you get to play them immediately.

When one tries to enter the secret conveyor-belt space, the camera doesn't adjust to the view of the conveyor-belt. Instead, it gets very confused and the view of the character is obstructed until the camera later resets itself to a view of the character. Maybe, in this case, it would be a good idea to have the camera automatically adjust upon touching down on the conveyor belt.
The capability for adjusting the camera in certain spots exists, believe it or not, though it isn't used in the game at present. I'll see if sticking a "Camera Scanner" or two in there might help.

Ogg Music seems to have huge synchronization problems on my machine. Is there any specific reason for this?
My first reaction is to blame fmod, the music playing library SRB2 uses. It gets all skippy and ruined sometimes, and some people can't use it at all. But then you go on to say that MIDI music doesn't work right either, so I'm totally in the dark. I've never heard of any problems with MIDI music ghosting out, 'least not on Windows. Sorry, chum, no clue.

I think Tails' speed is exactly what it should be. It's fast but still let's the player have fun.
If you say so. I personally subscribe to the "Tails should be faster" newsletter. I'll keep in mind that you love the speeds just the way they are, though.

Tails's real "problem" is not only his speed but lack of forward thrust. Sonic and Knuckles can get going fast with thok and glide. If you want to start moving as Tails, you have to walk at that pathetically slow speed. A faster speed for Tails could partly make up for the disadvantage of a move that's only useful vertically, while still providing ample reason to play as Sonic.

The secrets are very entertaining. Especially the Nights level.
Ha, you haven't seen anything yet! Sonic Golf is going to go where no secret level has gone before.

Anyway, thanks for the commentary.

I had no idea how to play addon maps until I just happened to discover that beating the game with addon maps loaded just sent me to the maps, as the next stage, rather than ending my adventure then.

Download "Mystic Way."

Awesome!! I love it when people write these things!!

Yeah, Mystic and a441 have already answered, so I'll probably repeat them in some respects.

Because The Almighty Sonikku Said So(tm). While Acts 2 and 3 are his brainchild, he doesn't deem them to be of the same caliber of quality as the other zones.

Mystic already covered everything about Super Sonic. Yes, it is a cruel joke of mine... I wonder if anyone's figured out how to hack a savegame to get /*hyper*/ sonic? He does exist in 1.08...

Mystic, this shouldn't be too hard for you to do. Just write out a config file, saving the appropriate information, and give the option to load it back in.

Fourth, on the subject of addons, it would be fantastic if a graphical menu could be included for selecting addon maps/characters to play.

Mystic, this *is* possible. It's not too high a level of pain to implement, either.

Probably the biggest issue I have with character control would be movement in midair.

Yeah, I don't like how Tails moves in the air either. You can work around this problem though by pressing back until he slows down to a speed where it allows you to maneuver. I fixed it in analog, but I'm a little stumped as to how it should be handled in the standard control without allowing the player to cheat and fly really fast.

The camera is another concern I have. Personally, I think the camera does its job great for the most part. However, it might be a good idea to set spots where the camera automatically adjusts to a specific view.

Yeah, occasions like that would be nice, but generally I think Mystic said it best once, "While our camera might be stupid and SA's camera is stupid, at least ours is predictable".

Yeah, sound card drivers.

I think Tails' speed is exactly what it should be. It's fast but still let's the player have fun. And it also gives the player good reason to play as Sonic, since Sonic is that much faster.

Yaay! Someone sides with me. :mrgreen: Maybe Tails' acceleration can be increased a little bit to just make everyone happy (although it already is the highest)?

The secrets are very entertaining. Especially the Nights level.

At one time, there was going to be a Jackal boss. 8)

In any case, great work, and I hope I will get a response to my comments. This game is fantastic and honestly I find it a lot more fun than anything Sonic-related that Sega has put out recently.

I found Heroes rather frustrating, and through playing it I finally discovered Sega's problem - they need to eliminate or drastically reduce the use of pits.

Thanks for the responses. I've been playing through the level-addon pack that's from the addon page, and I haven't reached the end yet. Very entertaining; are these levels going to be in the final game?

Also, I had no idea that Super Sonic had that floating ability. That's awesome. It will be even more awesome if, when hovering, you put in flying animations in place of spinning, so it appears that Super Sonic actually somewhat has the ability to fly. This is something that I always missed from the Sega games. We know that Super Sonic can fly since he always appears to hover right above the ground, but we almost never got to see him actually do so. He did at the end of Sonic 2, and in various space levels and such, but we never got to play him flying over normal land. (That was just a pet peeve I had.)

On that same subject, it might be handy to indicate somehow that the hovering ability exists as Super Sonic. I never would have guessed!

And again on that same subject, I tried editing save files to get the seven chaos emeralds in the first place. I was utterly confused, if I remember correctly. Either I didn't find the right file, or I had no idea how to edit the gibberish symbols and code that appeared in the wordpad file. I'm leaning toward option 1. However, having Hyper Sonic in the game sounds entertaining. What is the difference from Super Sonic, then?

By the way: when I wrote my message before, I had something I planned to talk about, but wanted to save until the end because it was the most important. But then, I completely forgot to talk about it. Keep in mind that I love the game; however, I really wanted to talk about the enemies in the game, on a whole.

One thing I love about SRBII is that it isn't in the style of new watered-down games where you don't even have to try in order to beat the game. This game requires practice and skill. But, since you all have had so much time to play the game, I'm not entirely sure that you are playing it with the same perspective as someone like me. Let me give you my rundown, though I'm afraid you may resent what I have to say:

I noticed that many stages seem to be PUMPED full of enemies. The biggest culprits I can actually think of apparently won't be in the final game: Robotnik Egg Zone 2, and a couple of levels in the big addon pack of levels. In stages like these, enemies are everywhere. And in normal stages too, enemies are everywhere. I mean... everywhere. There is no way to escape them. The problem is made slightly worse because all of the characters are bitmaps, so depth perception is awry. But even so, the constant stream of enemies everywhere can quickly become annoying because the enemies have perfect AI. For example, the ground-based enemies always direct themselves toward the player. This means that in any open space, if you stand still for five seconds, you can usually count on an enemy hitting you from behind and taking away all of your rings/knocking you into a pit/water. This is because of the sheer number of enemies. It's just nuts. Besides, having so many enemies with perfect AI doesn't make the game necessarily more challenging in a good way, seeing as they eventually literally line themselves up, so the player can zoom through them in one spin dash.

What I would recommend, though it might take a little while, is to reduce the number of enemies and/or give the enemies AI that attracts them to the player while not constantly homing in on the player's exact coordinates. I can't tell you how many times I've been unable to get up onto a ledge because a crowd of enemies are sitting on the edge, just waiting for me to try to get up on a spring (which is a vulnerable form).

Oh yeah, and whoever came up with the idea of those red homing bombs in the addon level pack, I frigging hate you. I mean, I had lots of fun spending eternity figuring out how to evade them, but god those things are unfair. They also have perfect AI and they are almost impossible to avoid. At this point, when playing those stages I try to dive for a bunch of rings, become Super Sonic, and just coast through the rest of the level. (God I love Super Sonic. I can't wait until the animations are completed.)

Oh! And one last thing. I think a really handy ability for Sonic would be, if the player is holding down the spin button after doing a thok, Sonic automatically enters a roll as soon as he touches down on the ground. This would take away the annoyance of hitting an enemy in the split second of vulnerability between a thock and hitting the key to roll once on the ground.

(A good way to think about this is to look back to the old Sega Genesis days. If Sonic was moving foward in the air and the player held down on the Genesis control pad, Sonic would immediately start rolling once he touched on the ground.)

I feel like quite a critic. I want to stress that I think this game is incredible. I think Sega should buy this game for lots of money and pimp it out as a game they should have made years ago. I most look forward to the completion of Super Sonic, the completion of the story/levels, and Knuckles' new sprites.

If the game's special features (such as the use of addon levels and characters and NetPlay) are part of a simple graphical user interface in the end, you could seriously end up with an entire cult and community of Sonic fans. Who knows, maybe Sega will become fans of this game as well.

BenSpinSpace said:
I noticed that many stages seem to be PUMPED full of enemies. The biggest culprits I can actually think of apparently won't be in the final game: Robotnik Egg Zone 2, and a couple of levels in the big addon pack of levels. In stages like these, enemies are everywhere.
That's why the levels from Mystic Realm won't be in the final game. They also have less in the way of secrets and a lot less in the way of visual complexity than the game's levels, something I bet you'll notice if you play them some more.

"Castle Eggman Zone," by the way.

...the constant stream of enemies everywhere can quickly become annoying because the enemies have perfect AI. For example, the ground-based enemies always direct themselves toward the player. This means that in any open space, if you stand still for five seconds, you can usually count on an enemy hitting you from behind and taking away all of your rings/knocking you into a pit/water. ...they eventually literally line themselves up, so the player can zoom through them in one spin dash.
The Crawlas are mostly just thought of as scenery, because of their vulnerability to the spindash. When you get better at making accurate jumps, you'll have no problem blasting them to bits. They're only tricky when they do the ledge thing, which I've only really encountered in two particular spots in Crawla Isle act 2 and Midnight Freeze act 1.

What I would recommend, though it might take a little while, is to reduce the number of enemies and/or give the enemies AI that attracts them to the player while not constantly homing in on the player's exact coordinates.
I can look into giving enemies some sort of inertia. Most people are a little bit past complaining about Crawlas, though. You need to get more used to aiming jumps. Have you tried playing as Knuckles?

Oh yeah, and whoever came up with the idea of those red homing bombs in the addon level pack, I frigging hate you.
They're Detons. You obviously evaded them pretty well in act 2 of Techno Hill Zone.

Oh! And one last thing. I think a really handy ability for Sonic would be, if the player is holding down the spin button after doing a thok, Sonic automatically enters a roll as soon as he touches down on the ground.
Good idea. I'll go plop it on the todo list.

If the game's special features (such as the use of addon levels and characters and NetPlay) are part of a simple graphical user interface in the end, you could seriously end up with an entire cult and community of Sonic fans.
What are we now, 50% of a cult?

Oh yeah! I must have spent 45 minutes training myself to avoid every Deton in Techno Hill 2. I figured that one must get the chemical shield, go through the path with all of the Detons, drop off the waterfall, and do something down around there in order to get the chaos emerald. Little did I know that the chemical shield was just for kicks; I only discovered the emerald's easy-to-reach location after I had spent a while even running around the chemical sea in the shield.

Hey, good comments!! n__n I want to say some things too...

* I think Castle Eggman should be a secret in Final SRB2, it isn´t that good, but it´s a loved level by most of the SRB2 players... I cannot see it like a addon only...

* Mystic, if you need some help about VB, I´m know learning it in my institute... We are still in basics, but next thing will be working with files... Here we learn VB instead of C :? If I could help on something, let me know, please...

* I´m agree with Tails... He NEEDS something more... I dunno what exactly... But he needs it... Try to give him just a bit more of velocity (just until he reach the run animation) and more aceleration... I haven´t got any problem flying, through...

* I had that midi problem in the past (I dunno if now too)... And it isn´t a problem from the game... Just try to listen some midis in winamp a while, and they will start to do those things... :?

* ¿¿Hyper Sonic?? A new feature maybe? :D

* I hate that problem with crawlas in the edges too... Isn´t there any chance of don´t let them go that closer to an edge??

I obviously like things that aren´t mentioned here XD And sorry again for my poor english :?

BenSpinSpace said:

I'm currently making a super sonic.

BenSpinSpace said:
Oh yeah! I must have spent 45 minutes training myself to avoid every Deton in Techno Hill 2. I figured that one must get the chemical shield, go through the path with all of the Detons, drop off the waterfall, and do something down around there in order to get the chaos emerald. Little did I know that the chemical shield was just for kicks; I only discovered the emerald's easy-to-reach location after I had spent a while even running around the chemical sea in the shield.

Huh? What you just said makes no sense... There's two special stage tokens in THZ2... if you get both, you get two tries at the special stage.
To get one of the tokens, you really need the chemical shield.

Depending on which route you take, you can completely avoid any detons.

* I hate that problem with crawlas in the edges too... Isn´t there any chance of don´t let them go that closer to an edge??

That is up to the level designer to prevent that from occuring.

BenSpinSpace said:
Thanks for the responses. I've been playing through the level-addon pack that's from the addon page, and I haven't reached the end yet. Very entertaining; are these levels going to be in the final game?

No, they're mine. You can actually see what I'm doing with them here: http://mystic.sepwich.com/mrealm

BenSpinSpace said:
Also, I had no idea that Super Sonic had that floating ability. That's awesome. It will be even more awesome if, when hovering, you put in flying animations in place of spinning, so it appears that Super Sonic actually somewhat has the ability to fly. This is something that I always missed from the Sega games. We know that Super Sonic can fly since he always appears to hover right above the ground, but we almost never got to see him actually do so. He did at the end of Sonic 2, and in various space levels and such, but we never got to play him flying over normal land. (That was just a pet peeve I had)
On that same subject, it might be handy to indicate somehow that the hovering ability exists as Super Sonic. I never would have guessed!
That would be rather neat, actually. The reason it isn't obvious anymore is that Super Sonic used to be slower than Sonic since the thok was replaced with the float. That meant that Super Sonic needed the thok, obviously.

BenSpinSpace said:
And again on that same subject, I tried editing save files to get the seven chaos emeralds in the first place. I was utterly confused, if I remember correctly. Either I didn't find the right file, or I had no idea how to edit the gibberish symbols and code that appeared in the wordpad file. I'm leaning toward option 1. However, having Hyper Sonic in the game sounds entertaining. What is the difference from Super Sonic, then?
It's not easy to edit the save file. It's supposed to be hard. I have a Hyper Sonic save around here somewhere, thanks to AJ. He is teh l33t.

BenSpinSpace said:
By the way: when I wrote my message before, I had something I planned to talk about, but wanted to save until the end because it was the most important. But then, I completely forgot to talk about it. Keep in mind that I love the game; however, I really wanted to talk about the enemies in the game, on a whole.

One thing I love about SRBII is that it isn't in the style of new watered-down games where you don't even have to try in order to beat the game. This game requires practice and skill. But, since you all have had so much time to play the game, I'm not entirely sure that you are playing it with the same perspective as someone like me. Let me give you my rundown, though I'm afraid you may resent what I have to say:

I noticed that many stages seem to be PUMPED full of enemies. The biggest culprits I can actually think of apparently won't be in the final game: Robotnik Egg Zone 2, and a couple of levels in the big addon pack of levels. In stages like these, enemies are everywhere. And in normal stages too, enemies are everywhere. I mean... everywhere. There is no way to escape them. The problem is made slightly worse because all of the characters are bitmaps, so depth perception is awry. But even so, the constant stream of enemies everywhere can quickly become annoying because the enemies have perfect AI. For example, the ground-based enemies always direct themselves toward the player. This means that in any open space, if you stand still for five seconds, you can usually count on an enemy hitting you from behind and taking away all of your rings/knocking you into a pit/water. This is because of the sheer number of enemies. It's just nuts. Besides, having so many enemies with perfect AI doesn't make the game necessarily more challenging in a good way, seeing as they eventually literally line themselves up, so the player can zoom through them in one spin dash.

What I would recommend, though it might take a little while, is to reduce the number of enemies and/or give the enemies AI that attracts them to the player while not constantly homing in on the player's exact coordinates. I can't tell you how many times I've been unable to get up onto a ledge because a crowd of enemies are sitting on the edge, just waiting for me to try to get up on a spring (which is a vulnerable form).
The original intent of Mystic Realm was to provide a challenge to myself. It is henceforth still rather hard, albeit toned down considerably from the original design. You can still see a shadow of the old version if you play it on Hard mode.

BenSpinSpace said:
Oh yeah, and whoever came up with the idea of those red homing bombs in the addon level pack, I frigging hate you. I mean, I had lots of fun spending eternity figuring out how to evade them, but god those things are unfair. They also have perfect AI and they are almost impossible to avoid. At this point, when playing those stages I try to dive for a bunch of rings, become Super Sonic, and just coast through the rest of the level. (God I love Super Sonic. I can't wait until the animations are completed.)
I'm mean, I'll admit it. They ARE possible to evade, but you're right, they are quite insane.

BenSpinSpace said:
Oh! And one last thing. I think a really handy ability for Sonic would be, if the player is holding down the spin button after doing a thok, Sonic automatically enters a roll as soon as he touches down on the ground. This would take away the annoyance of hitting an enemy in the split second of vulnerability between a thock and hitting the key to roll once on the ground.
And doing that would make Sonic totally invincible. No thanks ^_~

Remember, in SRB2 there is a move while spinning that adds momentum, the thok. In the original Sonic games that didn't exist. Hence, if you could do that, that would allow a player to go through the entire stage in a ball, which is rather absurd. The thok is insane enough, thanks.

BenSpinSpace said:
I feel like quite a critic. I want to stress that I think this game is incredible. I think Sega should buy this game for lots of money and pimp it out as a game they should have made years ago. I most look forward to the completion of Super Sonic, the completion of the story/levels, and Knuckles' new sprites.

If the game's special features (such as the use of addon levels and characters and NetPlay) are part of a simple graphical user interface in the end, you could seriously end up with an entire cult and community of Sonic fans. Who knows, maybe Sega will become fans of this game as well.
Being a critic isn't a bad thing if you're putting forth actual useful feedback. Feedback is always a good thing towards improving the game in the long run.

I just thought about what sort of special move Super Sonic should have. I've wanted flying since Sonic 2 showed him in the end sequence. You could give him Knuckles glide, but instead of gradually falling, it'll go upwards.

For standing, you can use that NiGHtS sprite and make SS hover above the ground a little bit.

And doing that would make Sonic totally invincible. No thanks ^_~

Remember, in SRB2 there is a move while spinning that adds momentum, the thok. In the original Sonic games that didn't exist. Hence, if you could do that, that would allow a player to go through the entire stage in a ball, which is rather absurd. The thok is insane enough, thanks.

In the genesis games, there actually was a 1-frame delay from hitting the ground and going into a spin from holding down - so you were vulnerable for a short time.

If you hold down the spin button after spindashing off a ledge, you'll stay in a ball when you hit the ground, though.

Oh yeah, and whoever came up with the idea of those red homing bombs in the addon level pack, I REALLY hate you. I mean, I had lots of fun spending eternity figuring out how to evade them, but gosh those things are unfair. They also have perfect AI and they are almost impossible to avoid. At this point, when playing those stages I try to dive for a bunch of rings, become Super Sonic, and just coast through the rest of the level. (Gosh I love Super Sonic. I can't wait until the animations are completed.)
I SECCOND THAT!!! I HATE THOSE STINKING DUMMIES! GRRRR!!!!!

Which makes me have a guilty concience in Lord Of The Rings mod with the thousands of Detons I put in there

(o) (o) (How do you like my text art?)
/\

O

Anyway (I say that a lot) Detons should only be on HARD mode or higher, maybe THZ 2 could have red crawlas or Crawla Commanders instead.

HUH???? Mystic has a...

Uh, Mystic? Buddy? Friend? After all that I did for you... After all those times I have saved your life, would you find it in your generous heart to... to just upload that hyper sonic game file and give me a link to it? Please? pleeaasseeeee????? Pretty please with a cherry on top? Pretty please with Ice Cream, Chocolate Chips, Gummy bears and a cherry? Man, I'm hungry!

Actually, with the source code available, one could decipher the 'encryption' method used on the save files and modify settings to their liking.

Super Sonic is hard to get because by the time you get all the chaos emeralds you're in the last level and you can't really play as him.... :x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back