Srb2 on windows 7...

Status
Not open for further replies.
!damnSEVEN!

So tired of Windows 7 bullying SRB2, I basically stopped playing for like a year or so... then I had a magical idea: Let's see what happens when I revert my computer to Windows XP and run an SRB2 netgame...

I also tried to install Win XP, but it does not my HD. and whenever I try to install WinVista there is a cursed mistake of RAM which is sent in the middle of the instalation! I can not change the system .. Windows 7 is Microsoft's new system! sooner or later SRB2 will be compatiple with it without any exeptions!

Am I the ONLY one who is not having A SINGLE PROBLEM with SRB2 on Windows 7??

Here are MY specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 440

Well everybody's computer is different. But for the majority of Win7 users I've seen on this topic, they all seem to have a problem with SRB2 net play using Windows 7

I think SRB2 works on Windows 7 64bits and not 32bits.
we talk a lot here but who will solve this problem?

Well I don't have any problem running srb2 (both SP and MP) on my windows 7 64bits I don't have any much lag unless my ping goes over 200.

Specs:
Processor: Intel i7-920 @ 2.5 GHz quad core
Graphic card: Nvidia GeForce 260 GTX
Memory: 9GB

I kept the same exact CPU specs and formatted my 500GB HDD and installed Windows XP Professional. I then installed SRB2 and played a netgame with a ping of 115. So you know what happened? I'll tell you what happened. I played a god damn game of SRB2 online virtually lag free. And to this day I still use WinXP because I realized that Windows 7 hates 3rd party programs like SRB2.

So not to be rude or anything, but from personal perspective I believe anyone saying SRB2's performance net wise is not the fault of the operating system in question is complete bull.

Good day. :P
I've experienced it on XP and yes, it is flawless unless you have bad internet. The question is, will those shitty compatibility modes on Win7/vista work to rid us of lag? Let's find out.

The answer is no. I joined a game of match earlier using the XP compatibility modes and running as administrator. My ping was 89ms the whole time and I experienced some movement lag(hell, I still did good in the match though.) In fact, I think using XP compatibility modes makes it WORSE. My specs are as they follow:

Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
RAM: 6GB
Processor: AMD Athlon II X4
These specs run TF2, All high settings, at 200+FPS. Yet SRB2 can't just play normally online?

You know what...

The more I keep playing, the more I started to realize SRB2 lags quite bad compared to my old PC. I actually have to agree with most of these posts, Windows 7 doesn't appear to like SRB2. I'm also having trouble trying to host, despite my ports being forwarded properly, as no one joins my game, EVER. I haven't tried compatibility mode yet, but I don't think I really want to. :<

Last edited:
I know I haven't been around that much, but I just recently fixed that kind of problem for Windows 7. I used to have that kind of lag, where in a netgame you would frame lag horribly once you moved, but if you stood in one spot, there would be no lag at all. In Single Player, there was no lag at all.

But what I happened to do was run srb2win.exe in openGL but set compatibility to Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

Processor: AMD Turion(tm) II P520 Dual-Core Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

I'd make a video for proof, but it's late. So yeah, no lag on Windows 7 for me on a 64-bit during netgames.

I know I haven't been around that much, but I just recently fixed that kind of problem for Windows 7. I used to have that kind of lag, where in a netgame you would frame lag horribly once you moved, but if you stood in one spot, there would be no lag at all. In Single Player, there was no lag at all.

But what I happened to do was run srb2win.exe in openGL but set compatibility to Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

Processor: AMD Turion(tm) II P520 Dual-Core Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

I'd make a video for proof, but it's late. So yeah, no lag on Windows 7 for me on a 64-bit during netgames.

Well I just seen you and he told me there no lag at all so there all your proof guys he has no more lag on windows 7! Yay.

If I recall correctly, I was told that the newer version of SRB2 is slightly laggier than the older ones. Whatever the case, I ran the newer version (which I believe is 2.0.something) of SRB2 on both my Windows XP computer, and my Windows 7 computer. In netgames, which typically have a ping of 128 or less, I experienced frame rate lag that literally gave me a headache each time. So I stopped playing SRB2. But I honestly think that this is the result of whatever's causing the new version to be "slightly laggier", which in my case and perhaps many not exactly "slightly".

And I don't think it's my connection, because I'd like to point out that SRB2 1.09.4 does not have any of this frame rate lag during netplay. I introduced SRB2 to two friends I have and both can't play the newer version without ragequitting from the frame rate lag. (Both Windows XP users)

I believe Windows 7 may have a part in the lag, according to some previous posters, but I believe that it's the new version itself. I recommend some of the Windows 7 users to try playing a netgame on the older version and seeing if they still recieve the frame rate lag.

Edit: I experience exactly what's shown in VOLT's video, sometimes not even as bad. I've also been recommended to try Open GL, which actually made it worse. And I've tried the service pack thing.

Last edited:
Now the only thing we (Users of Windows 7 32 bit) can do is wait for a version compatible with our system .. Now you can go to study quietly without you bother with your points on a match. it is something hard to say but ... no way to play in these conditions, my favorite pastime has become a virtual hell.

-By Google Translator and VOLT .

it is something hard to say but ... no way to play in these conditions, my favorite pastime has become a virtual hell.
I am stuck on dialup internet (don't ask) and thus I play netgames in control lag on a regular basis. If I can endure that, what's your excuse? :p

Hinote's solution may or may not have a side effect for you: if set to XP compatibility, Windows may nag you with a "hurr this software has no publisher!" message every time you try to start SRB2, unless you have disabled such messages in control panel.

Last edited:
I am stuck on dialup internet (don't ask) and thus I play netgames in control lag on a regular basis. If I can endure that, what's your excuse? :p

I can assure you, that whatever the conditions that you play it in are, they are not nearly as bad as this. We're talking about unplayable, whole seconds of frame skipping every time you move.

Hinote's solution may or may not have a side effect for you: if set to XP compatibility, Windows may nag you with a "hurr this software has no publisher!" message every time you try to start SRB2, unless you have disabled such messages in control panel.
I tried Hinote's SRB2 solution and I already told you it made lag worse D: I might as well try again and like Zero, the frame lag gave me a huuuuge headache. I'd dual-boot XP but I only have XP for 32-bit systems.

I tried Hinote's SRB2 solution and I already told you it made lag worse D: I might as well try again and like Zero, the frame lag gave me a huuuuge headache. I'd dual-boot XP but I only have XP for 32-bit systems.

Well the frame lag sort of still consist on my OS Windows 7 64-bit. But not as much as before. If I didn't change the compatibility, it would become a horror of frame lags per second, each time you moved. Right? I've seen it, its a disaster and does give headaches.

Do you run Windows 7 32-bit? If so.. Then I don't know what to do there.

Well the frame lag sort of still consist on my OS Windows 7 64-bit. But not as much as before. If I didn't change the compatibility, it would become a horror of frame lags per second, each time you moved. Right? I've seen it, its a disaster and does give headaches.

Do you run Windows 7 32-bit? If so.. Then I don't know what to do there.
Nah, I've got 64-bit. I tried compatibility modes when hosting and it helped. Didn't try joining though.

Nah, I've got 64-bit. I tried compatibility modes when hosting and it helped. Didn't try joining though.

I believed I joined your server for a bit. I have hosted srb2 and the lag wasn't there at all, joining still gives off a little frame lag, but it isn't as bad.

>_>

Did you watch the video ?!! this isn't a little Control Lag or something else ... it is the worst thing you ever saw in this game.
I also tried the Hinote's method .... but it doesn't work too .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back