Tron Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaS3K

NEVAR FORGET
Just saw this movie, and I can sat that it's a worthy successor to the original. Expands on the lore and features some awesome action. If anything, it inspired me to dig out my old copy of Armagetron Advanced.

I'll say this: the movie assumes you know about the MCP and all that, so if you haven't watched the original recently you'll miss out on 70% of the references and in-jokes.

Just saw this movie, and I can sat that it's a worthy successor to the original. Expands on the lore and features some awesome action. If anything, it inspired me to dig out my old copy of Armagetron Advanced.

I'll say this: the movie assumes you know about the MCP and all that, so if you haven't watched the original recently you'll miss out on 70% of the references and in-jokes.

Good thing I'm determined to watch it then.

No, seriously. My parents apparently hated the 80s and think Tron is the lamest shit ever. That's why I was thrilled to see it uploaded on Youtube so I can watch it without them renting it for me. Hell, it was a struggle to get them to rent Titan A.E.

And from what I hear of the soundtrack, our favorite punks did a marvelous job. How does it sound in a theatre full of people?

For those who are like me and haven't seen the original, here's the link to the first part on Youtube. Just look in the uploader's videos to find the other parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK-Nw-rBac8

Last edited:
Actually sounded pretty good, considering our local theater has had a spotty track record. Not many people though.

Another thing: Don't see it in 3D. It's not used enough to make it worth the extra cash.

it's a worthy successor to the original.

Considering the quality of the original movie, that's not a terribly hard standard to achieve. All that the original Tron had going for it was the special effects...and the fact that it pretty much predicted what would exist in modern technology.

So far, from what I've heard, the same holds true for the sequel. The screenplay is weak, which is a turn off for me. I might rent it when it eventually comes out on DVD, but I'm really not interested in a movie that doesn't bother to have some decent writing in it.

That said, should I end up going to see it, I'll fill in here with my thoughts.

I saw it...
Honestly, I thought it was sort of lame. The special effects are gorgeous, of course, but with modern technology I was thinking that the Grid would be able to be rendered as an environment that's totally alien and abstract from anything that's recognizable in everyday life here in the real world. Instead, the Grid present in Tron Legacy seems quite familiar. The programs inhabiting the world apparently need to work, mill about a digital city in their free time, and love to party. There's distinguishable "mountainous" and "oceanic" geographic areas in the digital world, and the film's climatic battle seems to be mostly a World War II-style dogfight with neon-colored planes. There isn't really that much creativity in place at all. The most innovative concepts and vehicles all originated in the original movie, ironically.

I suppose I'd be willing to forgive that if the story were better constructed, but it's kinda confusing. Maybe it's just me, but I never really understood why Clu rebelled from his Kevin Flynn, developed a genocidal hatred for the Isos, and then became the wrathful ruler of the Grid. The closest I've come to rationalizing it is that Clu is supposed to be an overly-efficient program bent on constructing a perfect world, and happens to view the Isos as an anomaly and opposes anyone with any sympathy for them. But if anything, Jeff Bridges' dramatic and sullen performance of the character suggests otherwise. Maybe it's supposed to suggest that Clu as a program has become "corrupted" over time? Maybe, but nevertheless Clu it comes off as too human and that obscures his motives a bit.

And then there's Tron. His five-second transformation from villainous lackey to sacrificial hero seems incredibly forced, and in any case wasn't executed very well at all. I think his actions are supposed to be poignant, but don't come off as such.

The acting is sort of dull all around, and it doesn't help that the script is also unmemorable. Not bad, mind you. I don't think there was a moment where I cringed at anybody's lines, but nothing seemed be especially heartfelt or rousing either. Jeff Bridges was probably the most enjoyable actor in the movie, if only because Clu was its most emotionally volatile character. His other character, Kevin Flynn, is somewhat enjoyable as an aging and somewhat bitter programmer with a noticeable amount of hippie-inspired lingo.

The music is alright for the film, even if you usually dislike generic techno music, and generally fits the environment and the mood. The Grid theme, especially at 0:45, and the entirety of The Son of Flynn are short but sweet, especially in the film itself.

If we were using the old thread's rating system, I'd probably give Tron Legacy a C or C+. It's stunning, to be sure, but kinda shallow as well.

Last edited:
I saw it...
Honestly, I thought it was sort of lame. The special effects are gorgeous, of course, but with modern technology I was thinking that the Grid would be able to be rendered as an environment that's totally alien and abstract from anything that's recognizable in everyday life here in the real world. Instead, the Grid present in Tron Legacy seems quite familiar. The programs inhabiting the world apparently need to work, mill about a digital city in their free time, and love to party. There's distinguishable "mountainous" and "oceanic" geographic areas in the digital world, and the film's climatic battle seems to be mostly a World War II-style dogfight with neon-colored planes. There isn't really that much creativity in place at all. The most innovative concepts and vehicles all originated in the original movie, ironically.

I suppose I'd be willing to forgive that if the story were better constructed, but it's kinda confusing. Maybe it's just me, but I never really understood why Clu rebelled from his Kevin Flynn, developed a genocidal hatred for the Isos, and then became the wrathful ruler of the Grid. The closest I've come to rationalizing it is that Clu is supposed to be an overly-efficient program bent on constructing a perfect world, and happens to view the Isos as an anomaly and opposes anyone with any sympathy for them. But if anything, Jeff Bridges' dramatic and sullen performance of the character suggests otherwise. Maybe it's supposed to suggest that Clu as a program has become "corrupted" over time? Maybe, but nevertheless Clu it comes off as too human and that obscures his motives a bit.

And then there's Tron. His five-second transformation from villainous lackey to sacrificial hero seems incredibly forced, and in any case wasn't executed very well at all. I think his actions are supposed to be poignant, but don't come off as such.

The acting is sort of dull all around, and it doesn't help that the script is also unmemorable. Not bad, mind you. I don't think there was a moment where I cringed at anybody's lines, but nothing seemed be especially heartfelt or rousing either. Jeff Bridges was probably the most enjoyable actor in the movie, if only because Clu was its most emotionally volatile character. His other character, Kevin Flynn, is somewhat enjoyable as an aging and somewhat bitter programmer with a noticeable amount of hippie-inspired lingo.

The music is alright for the film, even if you usually dislike generic techno music, and generally fits the environment and the mood. The Grid theme, especially at 0:45, and the entirety of The Son of Flynn are short but sweet, especially in the film itself.

If we were using the old thread's rating system, I'd probably give Tron Legacy a C or C+. It's stunning, to be sure, but kinda shallow as well.

Agreed. I'm kinda disappointed that they tried to cover up the weak plot with some philosophical "perfection is right in front of us" bullcrap. Make no mistake, this is a special-effects-laden popcorn movie.

I saw it, and it is the best movie I have seen in many years, obviously it is even more epic for the ones who actually saw the first movie, and I liked how they didn´t screw the movie by making an intense love relation between characters, like they did in Avatar.

You mean despite the fact that it had a paper-thin plot and was nothing but a graphics show? Seriously, it was decent, but not anywhere near my favorite. The first one was much better.

You mean despite the fact that it had a paper-thin plot and was nothing but a graphics show? Seriously, it was decent, but not anywhere near my favorite. The first one was much better.

Wait, the plot in Legacy's not as good as the original Tron? I'm afraid to ask as I don't want anything spoiled to me, but what's wrong with the plot?

I think you need to take off your nostalgia goggles. The original movie was nothing but a graphics show with a paper-thin plot. The only reason it became a cult classic was the cyberspace angle and how awesome the CG looked when we were all kids.

Oh yeah, this probably helped too.

I finished watching Tron Legacy a few hours ago.

I honestly love that film. However, the relationship between Kevin and Sam is pretty weak at times and Clu's plan is heavily flawed considering the fact that he strives for perfection yet can't see the flaws in his plan, but I liked the story more than I thought I would and had these points been improved upon this would have been an extraordinary Tron film. A thing I like about it is how Quorra isn't particularly in a love relationship with Sam but she is. It's not a "Let's make out when we're alone" but she has this certain quality and naivety and thirst for understanding and knowledge that's really appealing. I also love how Kevin and Clu share this almost father/son attraction in place for Sam and Kevin having this relationship. I just wish that some of the emotional detachment from the Kevin/Sam relationship wasn't there so that this really could've delved more into a more interesting issue here. There could have been a feeling of almost a sibling rivalry despite Clu being a Program. Clu getting upset with Kevin because he did as a son would to make his father proud and Kevin getting upset with himself for misguiding Clu for perfection was beautiful. Oh and let's not forget Tron himself. His redemption is one of the greatest redemption scenes put to film. This is a very story based film despite the emphasized spectacle being claimed to be the effects. MUCH BETTER THAN WHAT I EXPECTED.

Oh and let's not get started on the CGi. Deresolution has never looked more brutal than it does here. And the particle effects taking the shape of pixels will stay with me for a long time.

Watch this one for sure, guys. Incredibly satisfying film. That's going in my top ten list of films of 2010 for sure. I'm SO GLAD that I finally watched this film. Go watch it now. Worthy sequel all around. The inclusion of
Bits as cameo glass figures
didn't bother me all too much.

I never saw the original but I quite liked the movie. Of course, as a programmer, I always like movies with amazing vis. effects and/or CG..... most of the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back