Netgame questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibri

I have several questions about SRB2 netgames.
1. How does the master server access WAD files and download them onto other players' computers?
2. Where do files downloaded from the master server go?
3. What is this $$$ file I keep seeing in some games??
4. If the host of a netgame has a certain WAD and a player trying to join has that same WAD with the exact same data, but its names are different, will that change anything?

1. It reads the list of necessary WADs that the host has added onto their game, and when a player joins, they download the files they don't have. However if the host has downloading off, then the player's join is refused, and a pop-up comes up stating a list of the WADs they need in order to join that server.
2. They go into /DOWNLOAD in your SRB2 folder.
3. $$$.sav is the current savestate of the game you're joining. It has the information of the current map, players, their locations, lives, score, etc.. It is deleted as soon as you join a game however, so you're not losing any space.
4. If the names are different, they're counted as seperate WADs. If the names are the same but the data is different, the player joining will be refused, stating that their md5sum of their WAD is incorrect.

1. It reads the list of necessary WADs that the host has added onto their game, and when a player joins, they download the files they don't have. However if the host has downloading off, then the player's join is refused, and a pop-up comes up stating a list of the WADs they need in order to join that server.
2. They go into /DOWNLOAD in your SRB2 folder.
3. $$$.sav is the current savestate of the game you're joining. It has the information of the current map, players, their locations, lives, score, etc.. It is deleted as soon as you join a game however, so you're not losing any space.
4. If the names are different, they're counted as seperate WADs. If the names are the same but the data is different, the player joining will be refused, stating that their md5sum of their WAD is incorrect.
Okay, thanks. I was wondering about #4 because I had to rename one of the files in my Tortured Planet music folder to TP_Music(1).wad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back