Annoying problem with SLADE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra

I'm trying to freaking convert a .PNG file into a flat, BUT EVERY TIME I TRY IT, it says UNKNOWN instead of GRAPHIC (FLAT).
Please help!!

Last edited:
You gave absolutely no specific information on your methods with a horribly childish topic title. You can't get help this way because we have no idea what you're doing.

EDIT: Well at least you changed the title, but you still need to be more specific on exactly what you're doing.

Last edited:
I'm trying to freaking convert a .PNG file into a flat, BUT EVERY TIME I TRY IT, it says UNKNOWN instead of GRAPHIC (FLAT).
Please help!!
-Have you even tried exporting the png file and loading it as a flat
or
-if you're not doing srb2cb try loading the image onto paint (the program)
and then save it as a bmp image, then load it in your wad as a flat.

Import PNG between marker lumps F_START and F_END.
Right-click, Covert to...
Doom Flat.

If this isn't working, make absolutely sure that your image is both square and has factors of 2 for dimensions.

In some cases with larger flats SLADE won't display after you converted it. It will work perfectly fine with SRB2 though. I tested converting large flats with SLADE (512 x 512 and 1024 x 1024) and it worked fine in SRB2 despite it not showing up in SLADE.

If your flat doesn't work in srb2, you might also have to convert to doom gfx first. I can't remember how SLADE converts flats at the moment.

Last edited:
...that's kind of an unrelated tangent, isn't it? Derp, thought it was a different topic.

Anyway, it's complicated; you have to add the sky as a Doom Graphic Format lump between either P_START/_END or PP_START/_END, add the name of the lump to PATCHES, and then add an entry into a TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2 lump that tells the engine the size of the texture, what patches make it up and where they're placed, etc.

Best I can say is check the SLADE wiki and our article on SLumpEd (older versions of SLADE) for help on that.

Last edited:
SRB2 2.0.6 does not support sky boxes AFAIK but I think SRB2CB supports them. I would guess the process of making skyboxes would be similar to this.

Last edited:
No no, I said that wrong. I meant I want it to be the sky of the level, because when I use that texture on the roof of everything on my level, it becomes a flat roof, but when using a sky texture from srb2.srb it actually becomes a proper sky.

F_SKY1 is for skies. Nothing else works. Nothing else would work. As for what graphic gets displayed, it's whatever SKY## texture you specify in the map header - which is where the custom texture stuff I mentioned comes into play.

Please try this and this.

If you wanna know how the sky works, basically the any sector on-screen with the flat F_SKY1 is not draw, which allows the texture SKYxx to been seen through it, as it is rendered below everything. The SKYxx is a texture (and thus has to be in TEXTUREx) because is is drawn as if it were a huge cylindrical wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back