Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you are wrong. :p

SOL said that too much stuff would be going on for the game to handle.

I was down in London for two days, attending a Microsoft Dev conference. Only access I had to the web was my iPhone. Have you tried posting a long and complicated forum post on one of those? Trust me, it's not easy
smile.gif

Also remember I do this in my free time, I don't get paid for it, I don't get thanked for it, and I do have to spend time with my family now and again!

Anyway, on this topic. As with all decisions, don't think we made this one lightly.

The first point is that all the All-Star moves work differently, so we'd effectively have to code each one with specific network code. With all the differences in characters, that's 23 different bits of code to write there.

Then lets look at what we have to work with. Whilst most of you have super fast download speed, what you don't realise if you don't have superfast upload speed. Our target for game communications is 64 kilobits. Note bits not bytes. In that very small amount of data we have to send everyones current position, projected vector, all weapon fire as well as voice chat. Not everyone is on fiber optic broadband you know!

So we're already sending lots of data, and the ASM's mean that we'd have to compress this down even further for extra weapon fire.

Of course a lot of the All-Star moves also include increased speed, so in cases with high latency where we've already got to be sure we're not jumping cars around all over the place, we then would have even more extremes of movement -which under high lag would result in false positives for ASM hits. I.e. you maybe nowhere near Super Sonic - but you get blatted off the track as someone has dropped packets and the dead reckoning *thinks* you might have been hit.

Finally, when it comes to network games, you have to be sure that all the systems are deterministic. Basically that if you fire a weapon on one machine, it will fire the same way on another. If this isn't the case you wind up with synchronisation issues, quite simply what you see on your screen, won't be what other player see on theres. Not all the ASM are deteministic as they're all different, the best example is length of use. Depending on where you are in the pack, they last for varying amounts of time. So if we've got any latency causing the positions to be out of sync - even for a millisecond - on one machine it may last for 4 seconds, on the other 10. That happens, and oh oh, we're really out of sync. Cue everyone gets booted back to the lobby.

So with much reluctance, we conceeded that rather than ship it with things that could go wrong down to latency, especially with cross continent play, it would be a better experience to ship it with the ASM disabled during on-line play.

So that is why it's not available, as we didn't want to ruin the online experience with All-Star moves that didn't work consistantly and fairly. I think when you understand this - the decision makes a lot more sense.

Will we add it back in the future? I think it's unlikely. In the future when everyone has an internet connection that runs at LAN speeds, it'll be doable, but not for a few years.

---
S0L
---

Last edited:
Just got the game yesterday. It's reminds me of the good old kart days, where the stages actually made your kart look small as hell.

Only problem is that bike's drift is 50x worse than cars.

If anyone still wonders why Sonic is in a car, look in the game's collections. It says that Tails built the car for Sonic so the races would be fair. Nice going SEGA, you pulled off a smart one.

Anyway, My SASASR(God, just call it ******* Sega All-Stars Racing) FC is 1076-2635-6146.

SuperSonic45, if you want more friend codes. Visit the SASR boards and add them. There are a couple users who added theirs.

I added you... hopefully you added me.

I got the game for PS3, and I'm having tons of fun. Although the game is VERY similar to Mario Kart, its got a somewhat more realistic feeling comparing to it.

Overall I would say 8.5/10.

I got it on 360. It is great and online is fun too. You can also play time attack and compete for world records, that is should you have a gamer tag.

The Wii's online version is the exact same, however PS3/360 can choose to make their own rooms any time.

I wasn't really referring to that, but that's nice, I suppose. Friend codes are the single stupidest thing Nintendo could have done with their online support. I mean, it's not like I have to pull a Power Glove and enter a unique code for each game I want to use the Wiimote with, so why do I have to do that to play with friends online?

Safety?

Remember, the Wii isn't filled with adults like the other systems are. Most of the userbase are children on the Wii.

And with child predators rising..

Safety?

Remember, the Wii isn't filled with adults like the other systems are. Most of the userbase are children on the Wii.

And with child predators rising..

[Citation Needed]

Did you do any sort of research to back up any one of those three claims? The first two are broad generalizations, and the third one really has no factual evidence.

Nintendo is just more cautious with their online infrastructure, in contrast with Sony and Microsoft. It has its faults, certainly (arguably all three have theirs), but that doesn't mean that what you're saying is in any way accurate.

Last edited:
Looks pretty sensationalist to me.

However, experts say the number of cases involving online sexual predators has quietly multiplied across the nation, with arrests more than quadrupling in 10 years.
growth2007.png

Sensationalism is part of the reason why I don't pay any attention to the media in the first place.

And now I've gotten completely off-topic. Where were we? Friend codes...I don't mind them, honestly. Have we become that lethargic a society that the process of recording a series of digits is too mundane a task for us? What ever happened to the generation that grew up scribbling down game passwords on a sheet of paper? How spoiled we've become...

They're offering us a service, and they're offering it to us for no cost. Complain all you want about the restrictions and the like...what's the alternative, putting voice chat into every game and having the same problems that the 360 has with online?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back