New Pc vs SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your father was a real computer know-it-all. He would have done a virus scan and a spybot scan.

If you have a door, lock it so no one can watch you?
Sure it'll look like you are doing something else, but oh well.

If you have a door, lock it so no one can watch you?
Sure it'll look like you are doing something else, but oh well.

Looking up 'stuff' on the computer is one.

WEREHOG, get a USB drive. USB drive's are little, portable devices that you can save and keep files on. It reaches from MB (Megabytes) to GB (gigabytes). You can store all sorts of files on yours just as long as the file isn't too big.

Guys, he was wondering what would happen if his dad just comes in and sees him playing SRB2.

Werehog... how old are you?

Tell them obvious stuff like "Did you scan it?" or "It's not a virus, if thousands of people have played it virus free it can't be"

That's what I told my parents when they thought it gave viruses. If yours doesn't listen to that obvious stuff, then yours are worse than mine: Mine don't even let me have an opinion on 90% of things I should have one.

They do a virus scan every week and get nothing most of the time. But latly my router supposedly work fine (father says) and I have no internet as I can assure you it is the router. As for my age I'm a teenager.

Well, your parents aren't as bad as mine (there's always someone worse). They wouldn't even allow me to buy my own computer. Also, they threw away my sega genesis. My grandparents bought us another one several years later. Then they hid that and my N64 for 6 years (I thought they had thrown them away until two months ago).

At the time I hated them, but I'm glad they did that now. Maybe it wasn't the best method, but it worked. Was pretty addicted to video games when I was younger.

WEREHOG, modding is a form of art, and deleting your files is the equivalent of burning a mural you painted or shredding a story you wrote. I doubt it'll help if your parents are this insane, but tell them that. And I'd recommend you don't mention that someone on these forums told you this.

I would KILL if someone deleted all of my music, but I think your parents aren't being over-protective, just darn plain stupid...

I gotta ask... what about SRB2 makes people think it gives viruses?
Well... For a lot of people, the notion of 'to good to be true' rings alarm bells. And, to be quite frank, a large 3D game full of positive qualities (old engine or not) strikes many people as being to good to be true.

I mean, I expect if I had stumbled upon SRB2 now in its current incarnation, without seeing the youtube videos and the like that prove it's a real game and not just a group of pictures tempting you to click download for malicious reasons, I would run checks on the game to ensure it's not a virus. It is, quite simply, to good to be true.

Luckily for me, I stumbled on SRB2 during some ancient demo that ended at THZ1, so I never had that problem. At that point, it was just another doom mod to me.

My mom isn't as protective of me as most parents, she does check certain things but she still tries to give me my privacy, and when I told her about this game, she didn't give me the stupid "it's a virus" excuse, all she did was say "you can download it, but if it wrecks the computer, you pay for the new computer." I was very happy that she atleast trusted me about it.

And she doesn't delete my stuff, if something is taking too much space, she asks my permission to move it into another drive to increase disk space. Me, my sister, and my mom all have games on this computer. My games are usually more violent, (half-life, tf2, portal) My sister is more of an all-around gamer, and my mom is more of a puzzler. My grandmother used to have a user account on our computer but, after seeing that she kept getting a large number of viruses that eventually made her account stop functioning, we had to delete it.

This is why theres times im thankfull my dad is a computer pro. He doesn't read something and says "Virus". He is carefull to see what people say about it and SCAN it with our antivirus and when he isnt sure, VirusTotal. Tell your parents that the game isnt a virus and that they should see the forums, the website, the youtube videos and EVEN the game itself. After that they should have changed opinion. There are way too many things for it to be fake.

Well what I mean is how I come home from school to a changed wad. Sometimes it is gone. And about the UBS thing, my parents are always near me when I shop and know everything I buy. They would be suspicious about it.

Well what I mean is how I come home from school to a changed wad. Sometimes it is gone.

Okay thats TOO MUCH! Like someone said when you do a WAD you are being creative! It takes creativity to design a map, compose a music or make a character! My parents once did that to a comic I was drawing and well... Lets say they wont do it again. CAUSE I LITERALLY SCREAMED AT THEM! I had spent 2 weeks on the comic trying to make the drawings perfect... Ugh... Just dont scream at them and tell them not to destroy your creativity...

SRB2 is fun an all but you need wads to play with a different server,and you keep downloading wads and that will eventually mess up your computer up.So its really srb2 that messes up a computer.

WEREHOG you need to stick up for your self,you cant let your mom and dad control you any more,whats going to happen when your old enough to move out,your just going to let them tell you were to live or tell you who you can marry.

WEREHOG you need to stick up for your self,you cant let your mom and dad control you any more

Of course, if you're like, 12 or 13, I wouldn't try this, it's not until you hit 16 or so you can really start digging your heels in. At 18 they can't really do much, since it's legally your property.

jean131 said:
SRB2 is fun an all but you need wads to play with a different server,and you keep downloading wads and that will eventually mess up your computer up.So its really srb2 that messes up a computer.

Well, I don't think there's any way a DOOM WAD can have malicious stuff in it, but correct me on that if I'm wrong. (well, aside from it possibly being an inappropriate WAD, but the only SRB2 wad I know like that is Hetor's mod.)

The only other way downloading more and more WADs could mess up your computer is if you eventually run out of HDD space, but that would be a freaking ton of WADs, so you would have to have a tiny, tiny harddrive for that to even be a remote possibility.

Also, I do see how a computer illiterate could think that SRB2 is a virus, as every time I run a new SRB2 executable and/or netgame for the first time, Trend throws up a warning going omigosh unknown program but in this case, it's just because SRB2 isn't well known.

But, I've been running SRB2 since June of last year, and have had no viruses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back