2.1 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyllian, I think the problem is that there have been recent occasions where some people ignore the casual room and host their heavily-modified co-op games in the standard server. In fact, normal co-op servers are very rare to find in the standard room these days.

That's because Coop sucks! All it involves is playing the same single player stages you've already played for over a year, except you need to wait for people that aren't as good as you to finish the stage. Talk about fun.

Cooperative gameplay in SRB2 right now is a stub because there aren't any actual maps you need to cooperate on. It's like playing Portal 2 co-op except one player can clear all the puzzles by himself.

Coop isn't really the type of gametype that works in a situation where you're getting a random pick-up group on the master server. If you're setting up a game with friends on a LAN or with voice chat, it works much better and is actually reasonably fun. If you have fun playing Coop, feel free to keep having fun, but the game really wasn't designed with that in mind and you're likely going to get a lot of subpar experiences doing so.

That's because Coop sucks
Because the admin that hosts the server sucks and has no idea of how to bring fun to the server. I, and other people I had some talks with, had lots of fun in well-run servers in the past. The most of my best experiences in SRB2 took place in co-op servers with 5-10 clients playing lengthy level packs, huge and tricky maps and non-conventional maps like Ghoul's Forest (well, not everyone has the same "taste"), or when I was betatesting my maps.

you're likely going to get a lot of subpar experiences doing so.
I avoid these train-wreck servers packed with mindless kids and their admin abuse (besides the lag). Unfortunately it's 19 out of 20.

If people want to make co-op look more co-op, I'd suggest some kind of "triggers" like in OpenSonic (http://youtu.be/zXlg6dRRcn4).

Last edited:
We are honestly fine with Coop as it is, a simple method of playing single player with your friends. As I've said in the past, we don't balance for it and we don't test it much, but if you enjoy it, feel free to enjoy yourself. We aren't going to spend any time making it into a serious cooperative game, though.

That's because Coop sucks! All it involves is playing the same single player stages you've already played for over a year, except you need to wait for people that aren't as good as you to finish the stage. Talk about fun.

Cooperative gameplay in SRB2 right now is a stub because there aren't any actual maps you need to cooperate on. It's like playing Portal 2 co-op except one player can clear all the puzzles by himself.

No not if you add good map packs such as Tortured Planet, SRB2 XMAS 2009 or 2010, The Mystic Realm, The Emerald Isle.ect

I only like character wads that are fair like mighty-mi or rosy.wad

No not if you add good map packs such as Tortured Planet, SRB2 XMAS 2009 or 2010, The Mystic Realm, The Emerald Isle.ect

...But none of those are good map packs. And none of them were made for coop anyway, so it doesn't even matter as Neo's words still apply. There is no cooperation whatsoever in coop.

...But none of those are good map packs. And none of them were made for coop anyway, so it doesn't even matter as Neo's words still apply. There is no cooperation whatsoever in coop.

How are those not good map packs? That's like saying ah-shadow.wad is the best wad ever.

You are a mighty troll. I applaud you. Then I stop to be sensible.

On the topic, "when it's done" is going to be a stretch in the long run. It did take us a while to get from 1.09 to 2.0, so we definitely can't expect 2.1 to hit our hard drives anytime soon. The sad thing is that the netplay alone appears to make up most of the replay value.

If you know your history, you might be aware of SRB2's lengthy time of existence, being 10 years. You could say "10 years?! This game should be done then!" but of course, you'd be despised. They have lives of their own, hell, Sonict has retired from his role as head dev, so they can only do so much for what's basically a hobby. In my opinion, the game still being maintained this far along is reward and reason to keep waiting for 2.1. We'll get the game when it's good and ready, but for now, just deal with what you have.

You are a mighty troll. I applaud you. Then I stop to be sensible.
He's not trolling. He's right. All of the listed packages are either mediocre, horribly dated, or both. This doesn't mean you can't have fun with mediocre level design or mediocre gametypes, because clearly you can, but there really hasn't been a decent single player campaign made for SRB2, as the continuing popularity of the dated and mediocre Mystic Realm attests.

TeamLava, TP may seem good, but if you REALLY examine the level design, there are tons of flaws.

A lot of effort was put into making it, that's why there are graphical details and complicated gimmicks everywhere you go. This can be good, but this can also be a problem.

He's not trolling. He's right. All of the listed packages are either mediocre, horribly dated, or both. This doesn't mean you can't have fun with mediocre level design or mediocre gametypes, because clearly you can, but there really hasn't been a decent single player campaign made for SRB2, as the continuing popularity of the dated and mediocre Mystic Realm attests.

Mediocre my a** look at the actual SRB2 maps you know the ones YOU helped create Mystic.

That's not a very good argument, common sense could tell you why.

To end this, why are you questioning a Dev anyway? They obviously know what's best for SRB2 better than anyone on the MB. (or, I think...)

Mystic Realm is decidedly mediocre. Especially Verdant Forest, Flame Rift, Midnight Freeze, and most of the emerald stages (Mudhole Karst is particularly offensive) are bland, uninspired stages that consist of repetitively jumping on platforms with a single level gimmick per zone. I then use the same idea over and over again, adding little in the way of variety throughout the stage. Mystic Realm is essentially one level with about 35 different permutations, with different textures for each zone without changing the actual gameplay.

Now, the reason it's compelling and still popular actually has nothing to do with the quality of the level design and has everything to do with the fact that it's actually complete. There's a full game there, even if a lot of the parts in it are subpar. This goes a long way toward making the flaws in my work ignorable.

On the topic, "when it's done" is going to be a stretch in the long run. It did take us a while to get from 1.09 to 2.0, so we definitely can't expect 2.1 to hit our hard drives anytime soon.
It all depends on when the netplay issues are fixed. Content-wise, 2.1 is finished. I thought that was well-known by now.

If you know your history, you might be aware of SRB2's lengthy time of existence, being 10 years.
14 years, even.

hell, Sonict has retired from his role as head dev
SSNTails, not Sonict.

Am I annoying yet? :P

To end this, why are you questioning a Dev anyway? They obviously know what's best for SRB2 better than anyone on the MB. (or, I think...)
If that was the case, the devs might as well stop listening to feedback from the community entirely. Of course, the devs usually have a good idea of what is good for the game and what isn't, but that doesn't mean they're always right and whoever disagrees with them is always wrong.

Alright, maybe I should have worded that differently. Can we get back on topic now? XD

I expect 2.1 to be done by summer 2013, I can wait that long.

There's barely any point in going back to this now, but
Because the admin that hosts the server sucks and has no idea of how to bring fun to the server. I, and other people I had some talks with, had lots of fun in well-run servers in the past. The most of my best experiences in SRB2 took place in co-op servers with 5-10 clients playing lengthy level packs, huge and tricky maps and non-conventional maps like Ghoul's Forest (well, not everyone has the same "taste"), or when I was betatesting my maps.
I said SRB2 coop sucks. I didn't say it was impossible to have fun in it.

SRB2's tag mode also sucks, but I've had my share of fun with it, particularly at 2.0's launch when it was fresh. But since it has a the depth of a freaking pancake, it quickly got stale and I stopped playing it.

I've also played one or two coop games of SRB2/Mystic Realm/what-have-you in my day, and though it's neat for a while, it really has no greater depth than the single player mode because there's very little in the way of actual player interaction, unless you forcefully stop in order to be carried by a Tails player or something. Meanwhile, barring boss maps, single player maps can also be played in race, which is an infinitely more interesting gametype because right off the bat the main goal is something that is not natively present in single player at all.

"La garantía soy yo!" (The guaranty is me)

They can be questioned. You can be questioned. I can be questioned. No one here is a god until the next announcement. ;-)

The composition of the devteam is humanly subjective (someone decided who should be part of it or not), so are their decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back