SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 05-06-2018   #6041
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

The game shouldn't load files before checking whether a server accepts joins currently or not, It's annoying having to restart the game to look for another server just because some server loaded files you didn't need.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6042
Ikkarou Tatsuru
派手

The non-golf mode-related linedef types from XSRB2, or at least some of them, allow for various new possibilities of different gimmicks, especially the color-based ones. While I think some of these actions can currently be accomplished with Lua, I imagine it would be good to have the option not to mess with scripts of any sort.

Additionally, the ceiling/floor comparison types could have versions that don't require triggering from the player, and instead just trigger a linedef whenever a ceiling or a floor matches a certain height (like existing types 403 and 404, but with continuously moving surfaces).
[21:38] Shiron: mad facts zone
Ikkarou Tatsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6043
gregory_house
ʇxǝʇ pǝddᴉlɟ ɹɐoɯ ɥʇᴉʍ ʍoN

Please find a way to get rid of the wad limit (or have it be a more reasonable number).

It's currently ridiculously small without a reason (especially if multiple very small wads are added) forcing some hosts to combine things in "packs" (that do work, proof that the limit is arbitrary) that then mean players having to download things they might even already have.

And yes, multiple heavy luas can potentially slow a server down to a crawl but depending on number of lumps and optimization that can be a problem even with a single file so it's unrelated.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6044
toaster
トースタちゃん

The .wad limit is enforced by a packet containing the names of all added .wads overrunning. Hilariously enough, you will get more .wads for your buck with files named a.wad, b.wad, etc... This limit would not be fun to raise. I therefore advise you to suggest to .wad creators to aim for shorter filenames, even if they are not memily so.

One thing we HAVE done is that in 2.2, the .wads that do not modify the game will not be sent in that packet. As a result, if you play with music/palette .wads, you will be able to get more in. The consequence is that it will not be added for the player on the other end, which may be a net negative if it's something like the music pack for SRB2 the past.

Hopefully this is an enlightening look into the game's interiors.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6045
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Pretty sure 2.1 already doesn't download such files. WAD files with just music or sounds etc are not considered "important", and so aren't (and shouldn't be) downloaded by the game for joiners.

It may have been just that the game was just dumb and included unimportant WADs' names there too?

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6046
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

I think toaster is saying that the "unimportant" wads will not add to the file count where as they did before, rather than saying that they're sent over in any way.
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6047
toaster
トースタちゃん

Well, there are two file limits. There's the netgame packet length limit, and there's a hard index of the number of files. Music .wads will still add to number two, but yes, they no longer contribute to number one.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6048
gregory_house

Alright, thanks for the tip. But still, even using very small filenames (a.wad and so on) I was only able to squeeze 5-7 more slots for a total of around 26. I will check with the hosts I know for the possibility of using letters without any extension at all.

This combined with self made packs should suffice for a good while however please look into the possibility of having a higher limit. Unimportant wads aren't much an issue as of now by themselves but them not counting anymore is a welcome change anyway.

Last edited by gregory_house; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:28 PM.
gregory_house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6049
toaster
トースタちゃん

26 is a phenomenal number, I think. Definitely significantly above what I was expecting the limit to be. Maybe I'm out of touch? Legitimately struggling to think of why people'd want that many files loaded at once, logistically. A healthy selection of characters, your obligatory Terminal instance, a handful of scripts and a few levelpacks would be less than 16, which was my first guess for the limit before I went code-spelunking.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6050
gregory_house

Once again yes, only thanks to self made packs 26 is looking to be pretty high at the moment (consider that'd have to mean renaming them all to [oneletter].wad and having every single joiner download each one of them, which with them being self made packs would also mean pretty large filesizes).

But just to put things in perspective our "handful of scripts" collected through various sessions of listening to our joiners' requests (and sometimes writing things ourselves) currently counts 33. And that's before the few levelpacks, Terminal instance and selection of characters. Luckily, it's all in one self made pack, and now so are the characters too.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6051
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

csay messages should be printed out in console for all players in case they miss them.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6052
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomioTheBadass View Post
csay messages should be printed out in console for all players in case they miss them.
I'll add to this and say that csay messages should also auto-wrap around.
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6053
"Lat'"
Stop it

I've already said that over on Discord but I suppose I'll leave it here too for some more attention:
Let Lua access and do more things.

I get that the intent is to prevent scripters from massively fucking the game up in multiplayer, but it creates more limitations than it helps us, really. (Plus it's not like the game doesn't ends up desynching anyway), so here's a very small list of things that I feel Lua should be able to access that would actually help;
  • consoleplayer and displayplayer. Clientside stuff can be useful for visual effects and whatnot.
  • timelimitintics (match time limit)... why can't this be accessed already?
  • cv_pointlimit (match point limit) same as above. I may argue that Lua should be able to access every existing cvar in the game.
  • fix S_StartSound so that it works in HUD hooks. It can do that in internal, I don't see why Lua should get restricted from it.
  • V_DrawCroppedPatch could be useful. I know it breaks if used with images too big but even then I don't think this should be an excuse to prevent Lua from messing with it as it may be useful for visual effects.
  • A hook to modify player cmd input? That may seem dumb but sometimes moving the player without hacking their momentum directly while hoping that this is a 1 to 1 replica with the weird movement code for players would be nice IMO.
"Lat'" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6054
Monster psychic cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lat'" View Post
I may argue that Lua should be able to access every existing cvar in the game.
It is. In fact, if that is an suggestion for the next major version, for consistency safety it could be locked to only read netvar commands.
Monster psychic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6055
MosaicMario
Possessed User Title

I had this on my mind for a long time and never got to write it down but...

I suggest for an "per device" input configuration rather than a "per player" one. Right now I either use my default keyboard+mouse or my Steam Controller setup, depending on how I am playing the game. The problem is that I had to map my keyboard buttons to the controller in order to switch between both modes seamlessly. This works for me alone but if I want to play local coop with someone else I have to load an entirely different profile for my controller and I most likely need to reconfigure all my button mappings again every time which is quite a hassle.

With a "per device" config I could just just set up every controller to my liking and hit start (or any button) on the title screen to register it as player one. When going to a local 2 player game the second player can also just hit start or any button on their input device and start the game. And to change controllers there could be some option for that in the ESC pause menu.

This would make input configurations much easier and more accessible to the players. If it wasn't for the Steam Controllers ability to re-map any key on any button of the controller I would need to re-configure the controlls for player one every time I want to switch input methods and that would be a real pain. And I quite like streaming my games to the livingroom tv, hence my usage of the Steam Controller.