Even More 2.1 Preview Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Whilrwind and Attraction feel to similar in shape. I haven't seen the animations, but Attraction could use a jagged zig-zaggy movement through the animation to help differentiate from a distance.

-Why were swinging chains removed from Castle Eggman Zone?

-There's a lot of empty space in the new escape menu that could be filled by moving the text into the center.

-Whilrwind and Attraction feel to similar in shape. I haven't seen the animations, but Attraction could use a jagged zig-zaggy movement through the animation to help differentiate from a distance.

Trust me, you'll be able to. Whirlwind and Attraction look VERY distinct from each other.

-There's a lot of empty space in the new escape menu that could be filled by moving the text into the center.

This is actually a good thing. Menus should not be overwhelming. By having the spare space, you are minimizing the amount of input that the end-user is going to be dealing with. It makes it easier to work with.

Why were swinging chains removed from Castle Eggman Zone?
I assume it was done to make the usage of the chains consistent across the whole so that it's more intuitive for the players (and because you simply can't do as much with the swinging ones as you can with the spinning ones).

In any case, if we must discuss something else, the electric shield looks MIGHTY similar to something I've seen in Sonic Advance before, but maybe its just me. :V
It's not mighty similar; it IS the Sonic Advance shield, recolored yellow. Making all five shields entirely new was a pain, so we took the shortcut here because it looked good and let us spend more time on the other four.

Edit: Oh and "EMBLEM HINTS". Are those going to be riddles or something similar?
They're currently all placeholders, but yes, the intent is that they're hints as to their location.

The shields are all designed to look very different, especially at a distance. Attraction in particular is entirely full brightness regardless of sector light level, so it's almost unmistakable. The edges of the Whirlwind Shield are not uniform, either, providing a ragged edge to it that constantly moves slightly.

-Why were swinging chains removed from Castle Eggman Zone?
Because they're so hard to grab hold of. When as expert players we find it nearly impossible to just grab onto something quickly, it's probably not a good mechanic to keep using. Swinging chains just don't work well in 3D space. This is also why the other chain mechanic was significantly adjusted to be more user-friendly. The swinging chains really don't have an adjustment we could make to make them user-friendly.

Well, we want the menu to look simplistic. You can't even see the unlockable options before unlocking them, so it looks even simpler at the start.

Does the "absolute" pause (the one that stops the music too, and allows you access the console) still exist, or has that been merged with the new menu?

It's not mighty similar; it IS the Sonic Advance shield, recolored yellow. Making all five shields entirely new was a pain, so we took the shortcut here because it looked good and let us spend more time on the other four.

I thought it was clear I wasn't being serious, you told me this before with D00D in IRC already, about reinventing the wheel or something.

Speaking of pause menus, can we FINALLY turn our cameras and whatnot around when paused now in multiplayer, and not just when the server lags. Or are you guys worried about cheating being actually 'supported' in a way if you actually do that.

Oh my god!

This preview show again 2.1 will be awesome!

But is the game supposed to be released into 2013?
I really want to play it, please!

And very good work STJR!

While the previews for 2.1 look fantastic, I have a couple of questions:
1. I'm not sure if you guys do this, but will there be new character frames for new things in 2.1? (More sprites that old wads before 2.1 don't have).

2. Are there more colors? I remember seeing a picture of the creator.wad and the Knuckles inside the Eggman mobile seemed to have a color I never seen before.

I think 2.1 use the same system of SRB2CB.
SRB2CB had more colors than SRB22.0.x.

And too I want to ask a question: Is the character rotation changed? (Yes I know the characters will have a all new continue frame) but I just want to know that.

And too I want to ask a question: Is the character rotation changed? (Yes I know the characters will have a all new continue frame) but I just want to know that.
Yes, all characters will now look like they're facing 90°-clockwise from the direction they're actually facing.

No, there aren't any new characters or new sprites that I know of. The Continue sprite is just the waiting animation, you may notice.

Back on emblems again: In Sonic Colours/Generations, Red Rings were listed in order of their approximate location in the level (i.e. the first listed Red Ring was near the beginning of the level; the last listed was near the end). Does the same thing apply to the new emblems?

No, it was helpful in those games because it gave you a general idea of where to start looking when you were just missing one or two. Though I suppose that's what Emblem Hints are for, now.

This is what I think of this whole "点 vs. something else". Can we get back to more important matters? Like how the new soc warnings are going to help a ton of people.

Last edited:
God dammit I hate every single person in this thread.

hilltoptree.png

Now go back to faffing around while Nev3r does actually cool stuff.

Seconding this.

But add pupils to the eyes to make it more resembling of a badnik than a circle with two leaves inside it.

This is what I think of this whole "点 vs. something else". Can we get back to more important matters? Like how the new soc warnings are going to help a ton of people.
Yes, they will help, but that's just it, aside from that, what's there to discuss about it?

Legibility. White on white isn't the best color combination, even if the text had drop shadows.

Ok, I'll accept that.

I dunno if you just wanted to get that horribly stale reaction picture in, but we were done with that multiple posts above yours.

In any case, is Eggscalibur actually completed? I don't hear much information on him anymore, not even in IRC.

犬夜叉;734037 said:
If you look back, you'll notice that's how it was before, but:

Sounds fair enough to me; that's what I was thinking too.

But why not just align the time emblems then? Move the ones on the boss stages to the left to line up with the rest. It'll look nice, trust me.

Does the "absolute" pause (the one that stops the music too, and allows you access the console) still exist, or has that been merged with the new menu?

I don't see why they'd remove it. The new esc menu will likely function the same as the old one did: pause in singleplayer, keep running in multiplayer. So you still need the pause button for multiplayer, and as you said, using the console.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back