SRB2Wiki: READ THIS BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wiki, while still incomplete in several areas, is quite a viable resource these days. It's come pretty far since I last commented on it last January.

Here are some Thing Types listings and here are some Sector Types listings. A lot of those pages are info-complete, so you can refer to them pretty well. They come with example WADs, too!

We also have a good host of Editing Tutorials. Ever wonder how a Thok Barrier is made? Also read our Level Design article, which was recently rewritten with some useful advice!

The crucial things which are still incomplete are Linedef Types and SOC Information. Maybe these could get done at some point. Either way, do check out what we have. :)

Digiku said:
The Things pages are all done and up to snuff. It's just that the rest needs to be brought up to that standard.

The Things pages aren't QUITE done yet. There are some NiGHTS things that are still not entered correctly, and some in Miscellaneous that I haven't entered yet. I would like it if you went and checked the accuracy of the NiGHTS thngs for me, though. :|

I already have the link to the wiki in my signature. If nobody notices that, I dunno how they're going to notice this. <_<;;

But yeah, that should clear up at least some too commonly asked questions.

EDIT: Also, WHY isn't the wiki on the site still? If we expect everyone to use it, why not put it where it's viewable to everyone in the first place?

Since it wasn't on that site, how would you add more colors to the pallete? I already know and modified a set of colors, but forgot that it also changes everything on the game.

Add more colors? Can't be done. SRB2 always uses the same 256-color palette globally throughout the game, there's no way you can add in a color without replacing another. It's an issue deep down in the core graphics engine that wouldn't be fixed without major modifications.

Little note about the music list. I updated it to have tunes 51 (Old Special Stage) on it.

Just Thought I'd make it known who added tunes 51. Also I'm doing this without an account.

I'd like to note that I have finished porting the SRB2 specials list to the Wiki. (Blue did do some of the Sector Types, I'll give him credit there.) There are still a couple of things that need work there:

Thing Type 5007 (Alternative View Thing)

Linedef Type 255 (Scroll Texture by Offsets)
Linedef Type 254 (Scroll Wall According to Linedef)
Linedef Type 100 (Scroll Wall First Side Left)
Linedef Type 85 (Scroll Wall First Side Opposite Direction)
Linedef Type 70 (Ideya Time Modifier)

These are all unlisted/have blank definitions on the Specials list, so that's why they weren't ported. If anyone knows anything about how these work, please finish them for me.

I will also take this time to note that I am taking a small break from the computer for a bit. Real-life issues and all that. So, while I may pop on occasionally, these next two weeks I will be generally absent.

Dark Warrior said:
I'd like to note that I have finished porting the SRB2 specials list to the Wiki. (Blue did do some of the Sector Types, I'll give him credit there.)

....But I had a temporary brain fart and thought they were the wrong ones, so I reverted them all. :(

Ah well. The pages have the required information, and that's good, at least for now. And now, one more thing.

Linedef Type 17...What is it? It seems to be missing from the specials list, too...

I don't think it's in 1.09.4. I wouldn't worry, because it's not like it's going to get popular use. *coughintendedtoflipgravitycough*

Ah, yes, I remember, Alam was working on that last night... Well, the reason I asked is that someone (incorrectly) referenced it in a Sector special, when it should be pointing to Linedef Type 61... Ah well, rectified now.

This might be well-known by now, but I just discovered it and it's rather handy: the Wiki has an OpenSearch plugin, so you can search it directly from your browser's search box. In Firefox, click the icon on the left of the search box while looking at any page from the Wiki, and choose Add "SRB2 Wiki (English)". It'll add it to you list of search engines.

There are several advantages over using the search bar on the left of the Wiki pages: you can go straight to the article you want without having to open another Wiki page first, and also you can open search results in a new tab (Alt+Enter in FF's search box).

I updated my first post on this topic with a few words, updated from last January. A year later, the Wiki's gotten pretty viable. Still incomplete in various areas, but we're at least better off. :)

More importantly, though, I want to get this through people's heads: Stop linking to the Wiki's front page with a snyde "look it up" remark. Start linking directly to relevant pages. I cannot stress this enough, and I can't say how much the former pisses me off. Honestly, does it help? I wouldn't expect a new person to just know to look up such technical terms "Console" or "Character WAD". Just bend a little bit, because that does help more in the long run.

I actually want to fix the problem with relevant searches and technical terms after the Linedef pages are all finished. Most of the kinds of things people would look for (Such as "water") would rely on those pages being done...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back