Scary Cave wad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morph

Well... This is my second try to build an interesting and challenging level. The idea was to create a dark cave without much room (cause that are caves like normally) where are placed many traps and a few secrets.
To create a strained atmosphere there are not so many enemies, except you are playing hard mode.

A problem that occured was the camera-movement, which is very terrible in small ways with many curves, so that I had to stretch many rooms and test them over and over again.
Hopefully the result represents what it was supposed to be...

So here are some screenies:

sc1.png

Outside the cave. In the distance you can see the entrance.

sc2.png

Hot! A fire-pit.

sc3.png

It's getting darker! Platforms are hard to see.

sc4.png

The see is glowing silver. What may be inside it?

sc5.png

Woahhh! A tomb stone.

sc6.png

Absolutely the darkest part of the cave. Watch out for spike-pits and enemies!

sc7.png

Ahhhhh finally, some spikes, deathpits and a confusing quest later we are able to see more again. It's nice to watch the fire-pits, but watch out and don't fall into one of these...

sc8.png

Goal lies ahead. Let's leave this unpleasent place!

And here is the DOWNLOAD-LINK

Judging by the screenshots, it's cramped, too dark, and not so interesting. No downloading from me.

I think that this is a good wad...

you seem to be great at making single player maps... Nice job!

Alright, apparently Flame_the_Hedgehog and True_Hyper_Sonic do not understand good level design, so let me point out the things that are wrong with this map:

It's dark: I realize it's supposed to be a cave, but it should at least be bright enough to see where you're going.

Too linear: Your map has no alternate paths and no secrets. After playing through the map only one time, there's really no reason to play through it again; you've already seen everything.

Maze-like design: You use fake walls to hide the way you're supposed to go, yet you give no indications on where these fake walls are. As a result of this, the player is left wandering around wondering where he's supposed to be going.

Unnecessary THZ Turrets: The newbies favorite Thing, the THZ Turret. Newbs love it because it adds difficulty without much effort, but it doesn't really make the level more challenging, just more tedious.

Cramped spaces and small platforms: Sonic is about speed; an experienced player should almost never have to come to a full stop in your level if you design it right. It's just impossible to go fast in this level.

---

Now for some personal peeves:

Rings aren't deafed: The rings here are on the floor. Put the Deaf flag on them so they'll float.

Filename isn't right: It should be scr_scarycave.wad, with no -.

Too many pits and spikes

Platforms are hard to see: They're black with a small bit of red. They blend in with the pits.

---

Morph, for one of your first maps, it's not that bad. It was at least interesting enough for me to bother finishing it. Just try to use some of the stuff I said above to help make your future maps better.

@FF

Too linear: Your map has no alternate paths and no secrets. After playing through the map only one time, there's really no reason to play through it again; you've already seen everything.
Hm... I guess you are right. I'll improve this.

Maze-like design: You use fake walls to hide the way you're supposed to go, yet you give no indications on where these fake walls are. As a result of this, the player is left wandering around wondering where he's supposed to be going.
Yes there are indications. I think you are talking about the fakewall nearby the lake. Iside the lake is a yellow spring that can push you up to a diagonal yellow spring on the ceiling which sends you directly through this wall.

Unnecessary THZ Turrets: The newbies favorite Thing, the THZ Turret. Newbs love it because it adds difficulty without much effort, but it doesn't really make the level more challenging, just more tedious.
Does this mean I shouldn't use them anymore? :?

Cramped spaces and small platforms: Sonic is about speed; an experienced player should almost never have to come to a full stop in your level if you design it right. It's just impossible to go fast in this level.
Hm... I thought a level is too easy if you are able to run through and you don't have to stop anywhere. I'll try to create a map with more space the next time.

Filename isn't right: It should be scr_scarycave.wad, with no -.
Errr... This is at least my choice??? :|

Thank you for the constructive criticism!

@FTH

I think that this is a good wad...
you seem to be great at making single player maps... Nice job!
Thanks. :)

@THS
I tried it. Liked it. Nice job.
Thanks. :)

Morph said:
Does this mean I shouldn't use them anymore? :?

You can use them, it's just good to only keep them in a factory based level, Amirite? Also, only use 1 in each area.

sweet! Some parts alittle confusing - but sweet!

Upsides:

1. Great design
2. Confusing
3. Great Texture
4. Dark and unknown

Downsides:
1. A tad to short
2. Entrance (i think) should have been longer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back