2 oversights (or not) about the Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espyo

I just noticed 2 things about our wiki that are either oversights, or are like that on purpose.

1. On the main page (first paragraph), we have the number of articles and a date. Shouldn't that date be the day the wiki was founded, and not the current date? It's less informative/interesting this way.
  2. The wiki's favicon is not set. It used to be some months back, but it's gone for some time now. For those that don't know, the favicon is the little icon that appears when you save the wiki in your favorites. In Firefox (and probably other tab based browsers), it also appears on the wiki's tab. It used to be a little Sonic head.
So mods/admins, are these things supposed to be this way? If so, why? If not, can you change it?

And a bit off-topic, I'm glad we didn't use the Wikia system to host the SRB2 wiki. Currently, Wikia is considering changing to a new theme that not everyone likes. The bad part is that they are forcing people to change to the new theme (much like YouTube). Several Wikia wikis have moved, and it's quite a mess, so I'm glad we won't have to bother with anything.

On the main page (first paragraph), we have the number of articles and a date. Shouldn't that date be the day the wiki was founded, and not the current date? It's less informative/interesting this way.

It's done this way to stop people whining about "I ADDED A NEW ARTICLE AND THE MAIN PAGE STILL SAYS ### ARTICLES!" Originally, there was no date there whatsoever.

And yes, I did get a few complaints from people that didn't know that the Wiki uses a cache.

I'm curious why you didn't post your questions on the Wiki's main talk page. I mean, that kinda what it's there for. But yeah, Inu already answered the second one. At first we had only the number of articles and then we figured that the cache isn't automatically refreshed upon adding a page. The other solution would have been to save the main page every time a new page is made, which... well yeah.

I'm curious why you didn't post your questions on the Wiki's main talk page. I mean, that kinda what it's there for.
To be fully honest, it never occurred to me. I have absolutely no idea why. Maybe unconsciously I wanted to talk about the wiki on the boards, as to remind the community of its existence? I really don't know.

@Inuyasha I'm not sure if I understood it. Does the date in the main page specify the last time the cache was updated? If so, then that makes sense. I thought that the date referred to the current day no matter what.

Yes, the date shows when the cache was last updated. Also, I do agree in a way that from an editing point of view, the Wiki always seems forgotten by anyone, but honestly, what can we expect? There's not much information a casual SRB2 player can supply anymore, because most of the stuff is already there. And I don't think that the Wiki is forgotten from an user's perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back