What video games would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aperion (MAC)
This is the reason Macs used to be cool. The best Centipede clone you will ever play, available for both classic and modern Macs!

Holy crap, I remember Aperion! I used to play it on the school Macs back in grade school!

I can attest to the fact that Aperion is indeed awesome. If only it weren't Mac-only...

Uh, yeah, it's been a long time.

Vexer at Sonic Retro has created a gem of a Sonic fan-game called Sonic Axiom. This complete fan-game closely matches the early 2D Sonic titles in terms of mechanics, level design, and graphical, and auditory quality. The special stages have a new, challenging twist. Some of the bosses are innovative, though others are somewhat repetitive and crude and are probably the weakest element of the game thus far.

Regardless, it's simply beautiful and mostly plays like a dream. Definitely needs more love. I suggest you try it.

Last edited:
Is it too late to post recommended games?

I wanna say this one game, it's an RTS Game and you have to play it on a very fast computer(or gaming computer, whatever you wanna call it)

League Of Legends

Now yes, the name sounds derpy, but it's a good game for all you real time strategy fans. It also requires teamwork and an open mind when playing it as well.

Yes, this link leads you to the registration page(it's hard to get to it on the site).

You can try it if you guys want, it's really fun. Just remember: Once you join a game, NEVER LEAVE(Unless you are on a custom game). It's against the summoner's code to leave(the name for Terms of use ^_^)

I'll try and recommend a few games by-platform. Newer platforms first, with backward compatibility accounted for.

Wii/Gamecube:
Mario Kart Wii - Racing: While some people complain about the flying blue shells (which admittedly do little to help the user rather than merely hinder the winner), it's a great game, even offline. The computer have no propensity to cheat, contrary to popular belief, and it's actually not too hard to keep ahead of them once you get real good. Getting three stars on every grand prix? Not so much. Still want to go online with this.

Super Smash Bros. (all games) - Fighting/Beat 'em Up: Since Smash 64 is a Virtual Console release, I'll lump it in with it's brothers.
The entire series. Great not only for parties, with items on you-can-barely-see-for-hammers setting, but for more competitive 1-1 or 2-2 matches without them. Also, give coin battle a try, and Bonus in Melee. Better than they sound. While Melee has physics a lot like a regular fighting game, it is the dark horse in this, and the other two games have physics that fit their general tone. Get into a tense punch-up looking for your opponent to make a mistake you can punish with a wombo combo, or simply laugh and mock-curse when the guy who's been losing all round gets a Dragoon, Smash Ball, and three Stars to even the score. Your decision. Brawl even has the Subspace Emissary, for those of a story bent.

Okami - Action-Adventure: This game is also available for the PS2. While the PS2 version makes it easier to perform combos and buy Demon Fang items, the Wii version has a more responsive celestial brush. Both are great versions of a game which is basically Zelda IN JAPANESE MYTHOLOGY - if you used all your powers throughout Zelda like you do in Okami.

Mario Sports Mix - Obvious: Wait a minute, a casual sports title from the Wii in my recommendations? Well, for a start, it's actually fun. Plus, it has Squeenix characters. And boss fights. Actual fights, not just matches against badass teams. (Unfortunately not Geno or Mallow, though)
And the AI on your team actually know what they're doing, a surprise for sports games that aren't major branded titles like FIFA or NFL. Creating space on offence in Basketball and Hockey, and man-marking and full-court pressing on defence. Whereas in Dodgeball they actually shrug off a lot of enemy attacks by catching and dodging without being indestructible, and in Volleyball effectively return shots you just can't reach. All this, and they don't use your team's special move charge or items, so as to not interfere with your tactics.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Action RPG: Even without the cumbersome-yet-totally-worth-it multiplayer setup, it's a well-tuned experience with a balanced difficulty, so if you know how to get to the end of the game right away you'll have to really test your mettle, but spending in-game decades doing other dungeons will result in being strong enough to win without the eleventh hour superpower. Aspects of the game are harder in multiplayer, too - being unable to pause the game and access your menus leads to actually dying more often due to the whole equipped Phoenix Down revives you mechanic.

Xbox 360:
Scott Pilgrim: The Game - Beat 'em Up: This game, like it's source material in the comic, and it's adaptation in the movie, has a different characterisation for Nega-Sc... I mean is a superb homage to 8 and 16 bit gaming, and takes a lot of inspiration from Street Gangs/River City Ransom for the gameplay. If you know that game, you know how this'll work. Items improve your stats, that kinda thing.

Portal (2) - First Person Puzzler: Both Portal games aren't just available for PC, you know ;D
You surely know the drill, shoot portals, solve puzzles, debate GLaDO's motives, eat cake of questionable origin, love a cube, and go to SPAAAAAAACE. Portal 2 even comes with 2 player co-op. Get these things nao. For PC, Xbox, and PS3 as well.

I'd recommend more, but then my post would take up half the page.

Infamous Series (PS3)
Awesome series of sandbox games with interesting gameplay mechanics involving a guy that can shoot lightning that has to literally recharge himself every few minutes or so. Haven't played Infamous 2 yet though =/

...and pretty obviously I'll also recommend...

Klonoa series (PS1/PS2/Wii/GBA)
Quite possibly one of the greatest platformers ever made. As a kid I loved Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil, with its trademark 2.5D platforming and awesome graphics. Didn't get the original game on the PS1 until much later (and boy is the original game hard to find!) and, well, after beating it I'd argue that it's the best platformer ever on the original PS1. If you have a Wii I'd recommend the remake of Door to Phantomile that came out for the Wii not too long ago.

Not sure if I'd recommend the GBA games as much as the console games because most of the GBA games trade 2.5D platforming with puzzle-solving.

When I finally get around to making that game I wanna make, I highly recommend that you buy four copies of it.

I already bought it. It was okay, but nothing to scream about. The gameplay was unoriginal, if cute, and the story was ridiculously cliche. It wasn't bad, but the formula is overused, and it's certainly not something I would buy four copies of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back