So where do I begin with Sonic Robo Blast 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm quite new to the Sonic Robo Blast 2 "franchise" (if that's what you call it), and I basically hear that there's like hundreds of levels and mods out there for it. So basically, I'm just wondering if there's like a standard "game" for it.

...have you downloaded and tried it yet?

SRB2 comes with a vanilla single player campaign that is probably the best place to start learning and playing the game. It's good to try that out first before diving head first into the mods as it might take a while for you to understand how to play it effectively.

Yeah as Jasper said. Go to the campaign first. You get normal trio to play as (sonic, tails and knuckles).

Try and play the levels with the all the characters so you can understand the characters movements. Personally campagin is pretty cool and addictive to do.

The "standard" main game is included in the link from Monster Iestyn. It features plenty of levels. I personally advice first playing as Tails, then Knuckles, and then Sonic & Tails, due to (in my opinion) Tails being easy, Knuckles sort of being medium, and Sonic being hard. (But remember there are several levels missing in the middle of the game, so after a few zones, the difficulty curve will quickly rise.)

Make sure to set up the controls to your liking as soon as you start playing, regardless of who you play as first.
Note the game is designed for being played with a keyboard and mouse, so keep that in mind, and don't try to make a keyboard-only control scheme first time around (unless you don't have a mouse beyond the touch pad of a laptop).
I personally play with a gamepad, however it's mostly best played using a keyboard and mouse, and it's tough to set up a gamepad first time around.

Once you beat the "standard" main game, try going back to this forum/message board, and go to the Releases sub-forum.
Mods are files which change the game wildly, some times being a big map pack, other times being read/write functionality no add-ons really utilize yet. You know, just things that change the game a lot.
Levels are usually 1-3 levels or such, I think.
Characters are... well, characters you can play levels with.
Lua is for scripts that add or change stuff about the game, some times only being useful for mappers, other times changing core gameplay a lot.
Miscellaneous is pretty much anything that doesn't fit in the other categories.
Regardless of which section you explore first, you have to put the Wad or Lua file or such in SRB2's installation folder (or a sub-folder there-of), and then type "addfile [filename].wad" (or .lua) in the console to add it into the game.

I tried it. I don't like it one bit.

The FPS controls feel too fast and uncontrollable, jumping is a pain in the balls, the music is bothersome, and I just don't like it very much.

Sorry if that offends anyone, but that's just how I feel about it. lol

Visit the options menu and set it up the way you want, or even turn the Music off .

A piece of advice: Did you start by playing as Sonic? If so, don't. You have to use Tails or Knuckles when you play the game for the first time. Sonic is uncontrollable.

Still baffles me that you've been here like a month and you've only just now played SRB2.

I reccomend (and I understand I'm going to get a ton of hate for this) trying analog mode, it's more like what you'd find in a 3d platform game rather than the FPS style of controls, where you press a direction and your character goes in that direction, if the camera does not work to your liking binding the rotate camera keys is helpful and using cam_rotspeed and bumping it up to 20-25 is good if the camera moves too slowly for you.

I tried it. I don't like it one bit.

The FPS controls feel too fast and uncontrollable, jumping is a pain in the balls, the music is bothersome, and I just don't like it very much.

Sorry if that offends anyone, but that's just how I feel about it. lol
If you play as Sonic for the first time it will feel out of control. I should know because I played as Sonic the first time and then used Tails was much more smoother. Once you get the hang of Sonic control you can do pretty cool stuff with him. I can jump much better then first started SRB2 and it takes practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back