[Solved] Dedicated Servers/Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invert_Tails

One and only~
Alright so it seems I've run into a little mishap with hosting my dedicated SRB2 server now and well I would like to know is there a section that briefs me on what to expect as unusual or different behavior in dedicated servers or server hosting in SRB2 2.1.0/2.1.2.

Right now here are the problems I'm having.

• Getting the server to show up in general on the MS
  • Changing the map and gametype (or typeoflevel?)
  • The initial configuration file when launching a dedicated server (did it change or is it the same?)
  • {Minor} Text based wad output showing on the console. (this may just be me.)
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. If anything, I hardly see anyone attempting to run dedicated servers for SRB2 so I want to learn everything I can to make an effective, efficient, and enjoyable experience.

Last edited:
First, you want to make sure your ports are forwarded if this hasn't already been done. Yes, it's dumb and absolutely no other game requires this but to host on SRB2 this is crucial.

Changing gametypes involves some simple console commands, but frankly it's been so long and I'm not sure 2.1 changed what these are, but have a look at the wiki. Perhaps it's there.

Sorry for not being more informative, but at least I could tell you about port forwarding if you didn't already know.

Use -dedicated -internetserver -room 33. If you built for 32 bit Linux you need to either pull from the github repo that has my dedi fix for SDL or wait for the upcoming hotfix. 64 bit hosting and joining is broken atm. Windows works, to my knowledge.

Use the map command to change maps. Gamemode changes mode iirc. Not possible to set up your own rotation without modifying level headers (might be a feature for me to implement).

Autodedi.cfg instead of autoexec.cfg.

-internetserver no longer exists. -room automatically handles MS connections, but it's broken in 2.1.2.

Alright so everything's working again with the server successfully connecting itself to the MS since 2.1.3 came out. Now I have one new problem that has arisen. Since I'm running a network (more so just two SRB2 servers). I'm using the 2.1.3 server on port 5028 using the -udport variable. So is there anything specific I should be notified about if I use a port different from 5029 the default port?

Nope, the ingame server browser will connect on the different port automatically.

Try using my launcher to host dedicated servers. It worked for me. If it doesn't work for you, let me know.

1. Download my launcher: http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?p=743074#post743074
2. Drag and drop "startSRB2" into your SRB2 folder, then run it.
3. Navigate to the "Network options" tab.
4. Check the "Multiplayer game" box
5. Check the "Join my dedicated server" box

Then click the "Start Game" button, and you're done!

Last edited:
To me this is didn't work... This is write in my server in SRB2MS that my server is didn't work...

Here, try this. This will give you all the information you need to start a server.

Also, you should try to avoid bumping a very old topic if you don't have a way to contribute it, as this topic seems to be focused around trying to get a dedicated server open, when you're trying to ask why your server won't appear. You can also ask the Help Forum as well for true support on SRB2.

Not trying to be rude, just pointing you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back