Indestructible Spikeball Attributes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkz

Advanced FOFing Concepts
I'm almost finished SOCing all the enemies for my first zone but something critical is missing. Many of these enemies are flanked and otherwise guarded by spiked objects of some kind.

It's not spawning them or getting them to move the way I want that's the problem. I don't even have an issue with making them disappear when the host robot has been destroyed. Rather, the heroes can just jump right through them. In some cases you can bounce on their tops without receiving any damage. Needless to say, this not only doesn't jive with the original game but it looks spectacularly unrealistic.

I've noticed that certain enemies like Pointy and the Eggmobile spawn seemingly indestructible spikeballs that you can't attack without getting hurt. I've looked at their flags, states and other attributes but the answer remains elusive. Does anybody know what this precious attribute is and how I can use it?

Last edited:
Try giving the spike things the MF_MISSILE flag, that should make them hurt you.

Try giving the spike things the MF_MISSILE flag, that should make them hurt you.

That makes them "explode" on contact with anything not it's target though, basically meaning they go to their DeathState.

The indestructable and harmful attributes for the spikeballs used by the Eggmobile and Pointy are actually hardcoded features, I'm afraid - though it's not like there aren't other ways to get something like them...

You could try MF_FIRE, which should always hurt players provided they aren't armed with Elemental Shields.

SRB2Morphed has that extra flag MF_ALWAYSHURT, which would be exactly what you want, though since I'm guessing you're using SRB2CB this might be out of the question.

Yeah, I'm using CB. The fire attribute would work except for the fact that the spikeball's secondary purposes is to destroy the elemental shield, leaving players vulnerable to other sources of fire damage.

That makes them "explode" on contact with anything not it's target though, basically meaning they go to their DeathState.
Not if it's a spikeball. But you might need to set FLAGS = 8454660 to make it work. That's the flags I have on my non-exploding MF_MISSLE spikeballs.

Last edited:
Not if it's a spikeball. But you might need to set FLAGS = 8454660 to make it work. That's the flags I have on my non-exploding MF_MISSLE spikeballs.

I tried your flag but the spikeball's are destroyed upon touching the player, despite having a SpawnHealth of 1000.

That's odd... just to make sure, you are using A_RotateSpikeBall, right?

I'll go ahead and post the SOC I was talking about. It makes the player spawn indestructible* rotating missiles when you set thokitem = 406. Feel free to copy anything from it if it helps.
Code:
Thing 406
MAPTHINGNUM = -1
SPAWNSTATE = 2197
SPAWNHEALTH = 1
SEESTATE = 0
SEESOUND = 127
REACTIONTIME = 8
ATTACKSOUND = 0
PAINSTATE = 0
PAINCHANCE = 0
PAINSOUND = 0
MELEESTATE = 0
MISSILESTATE = 0
DEATHSTATE = 0
DEATHSOUND = 0
XDEATHSTATE = 0
SPEED = 450000
RADIUS = 720896
HEIGHT = 524288
MASS = 100
DAMAGE = 20
ACTIVESOUND = 0
RAISESTATE = 2197
FLAGS = 8454660

FRAME 2197
SPRITENUMBER = 78
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 0
DURATION = 1
NEXT = 2197
ACTION A_RotateSpikeBall
VAR1 = 108
VAR2 = 0
*Actually, they can be destroyed by weapon rings. Your enemy won't end up shot by one unless the player uses cheats so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm releasing this mod with 100% new badnicks. The Jetty-syn Gunner is part of my Super Secret Sonic Search and Squash Squad:p

Katmint, Only a few of the spikeballs use A_RotateSpikeBall. Many of them patrol my zones, drifting back and fourth in straight lines.

When I tried your flags value (to a back and fourth mover) and noticed that they died, I changed their death state to their own spawn state. They respawned without missing a beat. However, this not only tampered with their relative movements (throwing them off my desired track) but they respwned intangible and didn't inflict any further damage.

I'll compare our SOCs and make some adjustments. I appreciate your help. I hope I can get these work the way I want. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back