Missing texture but no missing texture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonS65

Hello,
I have a problem in level making, when I go forward, I see that there is a missing texture but when I go more forward immediately it disappears. And when I used the Find map errors option in SRB2 doom builder, it shows everything is fine. Please help!!

This problem could be caused by a number of things. It could be a buggy nodesbuilder causing parts of the map to not render properly. It could be an excessively large room causing rendering errors due to integer over/underflows. It's definitely a difficult problem to solve, so it's hard to give a solution without seeing the map. Some general tips to avoid it:

• Try to keep the player from being able to see more than 10,000 or so fracunits in one unobstructed line. It's fine if your room is bigger than this, so long as you have map geometry keeping the player from seeing all the way.
  • Try to avoid getting excessively detailed with sector geometry in large rooms, if you possibly can. What I mean by excessively detailed is using tons of really thin sectors to create particular visual effects. This can put a ton of strain on the BSP, which can exasperate issues with large rooms. This can't always be avoided depending on what you're trying to achieve, though.
  • If you do get an error like this, try messing with the map configuration a bit. Redraw around a sector, divide sectors around where you're getting issues, and see what you can fix.
  • Ultimately, if you just can't fix one, move on with making your map. Perhaps adding additional stuff will cause the editor to nodesbuild differently in a way that fixes the map.
If you really can't figure out a way to fix it, and it's not detrimental to the player's ability to see where they're going, it might just be something you have to live with. It's an unfortunate issue caused by the fact that we're using an engine designed mostly for small, closed-in rooms to design huge open maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back