[Open Assets] Blecch Bouncer V2.1 (blecchbouncer_v2.1.wad)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I'll send the file as a WAD with the edited sprites, just give me a few minutes...

Some screenshots, just to show that it works just as it should be.
srb20000.png

srb20001n.png

srb20002m.png

Check you PMs, Fawfulfan, labeled as Blecchbouncerv2.wad, should appear there soon.

CURSE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Meh, I got my own stuff to work on anyways. But do you mind if I alter the sprites and use the enemy for a Void-themed OLDC SP map i'm working on?

Sorry, Scizor. I feel awfully guilty about just blowing off your efforts after all that...but SonicX8000 was the first one to create an improved spriteset.

Anyway, did you read the footnotes on the release? Anyone can use it in their projects, so long as I am given credit.

Last edited:
Well, I bothered to finish the rest anyways.

blecchbouncerrotation.png

Now for the animated GIFs.

blecchbouncer1.gif

blecchbouncer2.gif

blecchbouncer3.gif

blecchbouncer4.gif

blecchbouncer5.gif

It's still a bit off on the diagonal frames, but meh.

CURSE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Meh, I got my own stuff to work on anyways. But do you mind if I alter the sprites and use the enemy for a Void-themed OLDC SP map I'm working on?

Argh! I have been cursed!
-----
Moving on... if you mean the current sprites that I did then go ahead, however... this is Fawfulfan's Blecchbouncer, so I don't know if he wants you to use them.

I dunno, out of all the sprites I've seen for this guy, I can say the following;

Is he a robot? Yes.
Is he a BADNIK? No.

It doesn't have that quality and style that says "this is a badnik" to me. It looks like an enemy that could have easily come from another game. It sure doesent look like Eggman's handiwork, that's for sure.

I prefer SonicX8000's spriting style, but I also really, really like Scizor's interpretation of how the Blecch Bouncer dumps slime. It still needs to be purple, though.

Last edited:
Ah another custom enemy. Always glad to see those. I like it. Pretty simple, yet fun. ^^

I'd advise you to split up your wad into two files: one with the enemy and its sprites only, one with the testlevel and its levelheader. This way it is much more comfortable for people to import the enemy into their projects.
Since this is reusable content you might also want to add some more information in your first post. For example which freeslots you used and the MAPTHINGNUM. Maybe like this:

• used sprite slot: F001
  • used freestates: 1792-1796, 2000-2003
  • used thing type: 318
  • MAPTHINGNUM = 122

And one question: Do you really want to never let the slime vanish?
Especially in big maps with lots of enemies this may cause lags. Regular slime spawned by Eggmobile 2 vanishes (hardcoded) after 30 seconds which is equal to 990 tics. If you are just aiming for longer lasting slime I would recommend to change the duration of FRAME 336 from -1 to a value higher than 990 and the normal boss gameplay will not even be affected. If you want your slime to last one minute you can change the frame's duration to 1980 tics if you are aiming for two minutes you might want to use 3960 tics and so on and so on.

Code:
FRAME 336
SPRITENUMBER = 31
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 32770
DURATION = 3960
NEXT = 1615
ACTION None
VAR1 = 0
VAR2 = 0
Just a guess, though. ;D

calebmana said:
Cool, We need more custom enemies for 2.0 (socing is hard Thou).
It just takes some time to get used to it. The concept and execution of creating and using soc scripts is actually pretty simple and convenient.

Last edited:
Actually, lag wouldn't generally be a problem, because the Blecch Bouncer's movement (and subsequent sliming) is based on a reference to the A_LOOK function each time it bounces. If it can no longer see the player, it doesn't bounce again, and it doesn't make any more slime. Whatever slime has already been generated hangs around forever, but you won't have dozens of Blecch Bouncers hopping around all over the stage producing hundreds of globs of slime. Not unless the player was deliberately trying to fill the room with slime, and led a Blecch Bouncer all around the room for 20 minutes.

Nevertheless, I agree that I actually want the slime to disappear for the sake of professionalism. I just couldn't figure out how. But I inserted that new frame and tweaked its settings to my taste, and now Blecch Bouncer V2.1 is ready to roll!

Pretty cool enemy, though it doesn't look like it's built strong enough to take 2 hits. However, maybe once you hit it once it jumps higher and or farther? Or maybe the glass holding the slime breaks, and it tries to bounce away from you?

Still, nice to see I'm not the only enemy maker out there.

The Blecch Bouncer isn't on a par with anything you've done, Blade. I desperately wish you'd release some of your enemies for public use too. Judging from what I've seen of them in screenshots, they are original and epic.

But maybe a later version of the Blecch Bouncer could exhibit new behavior when down to 1 hit point. I'll just have to figure out how to do that...

I was thinking of RaiseState, but that might work, too.

PainState might lead to some complication if you plan on having more than two hitpoints, because the enemy will perform the action every time it is hurt in that case. I don't know enough about SOCcing to comment on how RaiseState would work, but as long as you keep it down to two hits, both would probably work.

A_Boss1Chase:
Code:

if (actor->health > actor->info->damage)
        {
            if (P_Random() & 1)
                P_SetMobjState(actor, actor->info->missilestate);
            else
                P_SetMobjState(actor, actor->info->meleestate);
        }
        else
            P_SetMobjState(actor, actor->info->raisestate);

The first boss and generic default custom bosses with MF_BOSS turned on change to their raisestate if their current health is smaller than their damage variable's value. However for normal enemies you do not have thinkers that work like this. If you are just going for "behave different when hit once" you can indeed just make the painstate lead into a different frame cycle. It should work fine this way.

There is another possibility, tough... You can determine different behaviours when the enemy's current health falls below a certain value if you attach A_CheckHealth to your custom enemy's paincycle and... *shot*
:-p

Last edited:
Double post but for a reason:
I made a mistake by assuming one second equals 33 tics (which would have been right for yoyo game's game maker -__-)... BUT things are different in the realm of srb2. One second equals 35 tics. So 30 seconds equal 1050 tics and one minute 2100.

I'm sorry. :|

Well, I'm satisfied with its time frame anyway.

In any case, I don't think the Painstate method would work too well for the Blecch Bouncer, because it constantly reverts back to its waiting frames. I think if I used that method, the Blecch Bouncer would cycle through the new state once, then go back to the old behavior.

Look, I didn't really know until I made this enemy. It's quite easy to learn on the fly. It just looks intimidating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back