• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Shadow the Hedgehog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good, but something looks wrong about the eyes on the last(latest sprite), I think it looks better on the second last.

There is a little problem with the skate sprite, shadow changes to his "modern" design with longer legs/arms, or at least it looks like it, a bit strange because this wad is a "classic" ? shadow, or at least one that has the same size as srb2 sonic ?

There is a little problem with the skate sprite, shadow changes to his "modern" design with longer legs/arms, or at least it looks like it, a bit strange because this wad is a "classic" ? shadow, or at least one that has the same size as srb2 sonic ?

Well MotorRoach did sprite an alternative version of Shadow's skate. It kinda looks silly in my opinion but still a very well done sprite.

qxqb93.gif

(Yes, I had to get rid of his fingers, sadly. It wouldn't go with the game's sprite style too well)

Shadow the BUMPhog

I think it's about time this thread actually got some screenies that aren't from 2010.

srb20002.png
srb20003.png
srb20005.png
srb20006.png

srb20000.gif
srb20001.gif

Shadow still has the same abilities that were mentioned back in June and overall, this wad is coming out very nicely done. I have seen a lot of work put into this the moment Speed showed me progress back in March and I'm pretty excited to see a release in the near future. Shadow plays a little differently that you would expect him to but I am not spoiling that. You guys will just have to play it for yourselves. Oh, and one more thing...

To add on to what Larztard said. Sorry about missing that release date I mentioned. I have a lot of things going on in my life and stuff. However I'm still going at it. Trying to make this have as much quality as possible.

While you're reading this, have some other stuff from me:
AWSHITI%27MDOINGIT.png

tbh I also get distracted a lot.
omgwhoisthat.png

Looks nice, are you using motorroach's skate sprites now ?
The yellow of the homing attack looks ok, I thought it would look better but that's probably only me.

Can shadow still do the spindash or slide/roll or is the dash his default spin move ?

Is the dash going to use rings in the final version ? I was never a fan of using rings for special moves, you can't get the perfect bonus and use up health, did you think about changing that so that it's a limited timer(you can dash once every 5 seconds, something like that) or is there a special reason on why it uses rings ?

Instead of Spindashing, he should do a Somersault (I guess that's how you pronounce it.)
Y'Know? Like in SA2...?

Anyone..?
I am SO LONELY
/give hugs Zero_The_artificial 64

These sprites are looking freakin' awesome Speed! Keep up the awesome work!

Instead of Spindashing, he should do a Somersault (I guess that's how you pronounce it.)
Y'Know? Like in SA2...?

Anyone..?
I am SO LONELY
/give hugs Zero_The_artificial 64

I think the Shadow Speedwagon is doing is the Shadow from Sonic Mega Mix, where Shadow does not do any of his signature 3D moves other than the Homing Attack and a Spindash.

I think the Shadow Speedwagon is doing is the Shadow from Sonic Mega Mix, where Shadow does not do any of his signature 3D moves other than the Homing Attack and a Spindash.

You are correct. Shadow's moveset is based off the moveset Shadow currently has in Sonic Megamix.

Looks nice, are you using motorroach's skate sprites now ?
Just the back frames. The rest are all me. Though Motorroach is giving me tips on how to make it look nice and stuff.

Also, the thing about Megamix's Shadow is that his abilities were built for a 2D environment. Therefore, his current ability tends to be "stiff" to play as in a 3D space. Though I'll probably keep this ability in the final release, there's a chance that I'll change it to suit Shadow better.

I can't think up of a good ability. lmfao.

Actually SpeedWagon, Shadow's moveset is actually very balanced. The Double Jump is best used to get up to higher ledges or save you, and the Homing Attack is best used to save you from falling short with an enemy on the cliff. Yes, the double jump would be pretty stiff, especially after a homing attack, but man, this really is one of the most balanced moveset for our Dark hedgehog, so have some confidence man!

Just the back frames. The rest are all me. Though Motorroach is giving me tips on how to make it look nice and stuff.

Also, the thing about Megamix's Shadow is that his abilities were built for a 2D environment. Therefore, his current ability tends to be "stiff" to play as in a 3D space. Though I'll probably keep this ability in the final release, there's a chance that I'll change it to suit Shadow better.

I can't think up of a good ability. lmfao.
Ok, I wasn't sure on that because the one sprite on the screenshot looked like the old skating animation.

I think the abilities are nice, you get a colors like double jump/homing attack which works nice for platforming and works well for taking out enemies.(Double Jump can be a bit hard to control at high speeds but it's still useful)
The little dash/boost also works nice as a ground move and makes him different from sonic, I don't like the ring use of it but other than that it's nice. This is a great moveset which makes shadow different so that he isn't a sonic clone.

I wonder if when we'll see a 2.1 character not powered by Lua (other than visual stuff). If I should be honest, the "moveset" I'd like to see for a Shadow the most would be all of Sonic's attributes, but with a homing thok instead of speed thok (and as a result a slower thok than Sonic's).
No special anything, just a "clone of Sonic", as he was in Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes, too. (Except Sonic had one ability more than Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2, and they had different Team Blasts in Sonic Heroes.)
I'm actually not even kidding about that, but I'm not one to decide on this stuff. I think it's great a really awesome-looking Shadow is being made, no matter his moveset.

I wonder if when we'll see a 2.1 character not powered by Lua (other than visual stuff). If I should be honest, the "moveset" I'd like to see for a Shadow the most would be all of Sonic's attributes, but with a homing thok instead of speed thok (and as a result a slower thok than Sonic's).
No special anything, just a "clone of Sonic", as he was in Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes, too. (Except Sonic had one ability more than Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2, and they had different Team Blasts in Sonic Heroes.)
I'm actually not even kidding about that, but I'm not one to decide on this stuff. I think it's great a really awesome-looking Shadow is being made, no matter his moveset.
I think you didn't get the point here, Speedwagon is trying to move the moveset away from sonic so it doesn't feel like a sonic clone.
Having a slower homing thok and the same stats as sonic can be bad(why doesn't the homing attack have the same speed as the thok anyway) and might make some levels which need the speed of the thok(metalsonicrace) way more difficult or impossible.

http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=31624 This was Done in 2.0 btw. There is no need for this type of ability-less characters BECAUSE of lua.

just be sure to give him a good ability, you can ask for help something lua-ish like they did with metal sonic, we only get one Shadow wad after all, though someone could make a sonic boom version of Shadow after that game comes out since he's confirmed to be in it, and we have like 5 different sonic WADS so we can make more then one.

I think you didn't get the point here, Speedwagon is trying to move the moveset away from sonic so it doesn't feel like a sonic clone.
I do get this Shadow is supposed to not feel like a Sonic clone, but that doesn't mean I don't like Shadow as a Sonic clone.
I was sort of referring to your "This is a great moveset which makes shadow different so that he isn't a sonic clone", but not enough for me to feel like I should quote that, especially as I wasn't really referring to anything else of your post.
I have nothing against a non-Sonic-clone Shadow, of course, don't take it that way.

Having a slower homing thok and the same stats as sonic can be bad(why doesn't the homing attack have the same speed as the thok anyway) and might make some levels which need the speed of the thok(metalsonicrace) way more difficult or impossible.
I didn't really think about the latter. (And the homing thok being slower than speed thok is for balancing reasons, I think, even though one could just multiply actionspd by 3...)

@Duon the Adventurer and tee2330
wat

The only reasons Shadow being basically a re-skin of Sonic in SA2 was accepted was because A. That was his shtick, being the equivalent of Sonic and claiming that Sonic is the faker, and B. because Sonic and Shadow had completely different levels, meaning it was basically playing Sonic through around 20 levels. Neither of those apply here.

Also, Sonic Heroes is not a good point to bring up for "clones", as the game is literally the same game 4 times over but with different skins. One of the reasons why it wasn't considered a good Sonic game.

Shadow can easily be done with the new LUA scripting to be completely different from the default Sonic character.

Last edited:
- Shadow can easily be done with the new LUA scripting to be completely different from the default Sonic character.
(I did read the whole post, before you ask.) Yes, that's right, but that doesn't mean I love Shadow being a non-Sonic-clone. Again, that neither means I have anything against Shadow not being a Sonic clone.

...then I don't really get the point of your post, to be honest. First you say he is a clone, then you say you don't love him even if he isn't a clone. I don't get what that has to do with this WAD, or why does it even matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back