Are FPS's too generic nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarbo the Black Sheep

Furry Composer
Halo, Resistance, SOCOM, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Half-Life, etc. I'm not an FPS guy myself, but heck, it seems like there's really nothing that truly separates those games apart from each other. Personally, I think the genre needs something interesting, for example, my sig, as well as other gimmicks to go along with it.

HELLLLLLLL YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I cannot say yes to this more. Modern first person shooters that aren't on the Wii or don't use an innovative control scheme need to be shot and burned.

Time Splitters, that is all.

And I do agree, there really needs to be some difference between all these generic shooters, considering they focus on these more than other genres.

I wouldn't know about it; I don't play first-person shooters. I do have a third-person shooter, though, and it's really original. However, it's also ancient--it was designed to run with Windows 95.

SOCOM doesn't really count as a first person shooter. But I agree with what your saying. FPS do need something different thats not the same cliche plot or style.

But I have to disagree with Call of Duty. Call of Duty has given us different perspectives involving two sides of the story's plot. You see how soldires react to the hellraising war or in the heat of battle, as well as seeing and feeling the loss of your soldires. The way how the screen changes to a foggy or dizzy state in sequences. Activison wins by life-like first person over Halo.

If you played COD 4 modern warfare, you actually witness and learn what sorts of techonology they use in war such as piolting the AC-130 gun ship. So you can't really say that Call of duty isn't original (world war plot doesn't count cause they did a better job than metal of honor).

Kaysakado said:
Portal.

You are in first person.

You shoot.

It is innovative.

All your requirements are fulfilled.
Q.E.D.

Yes, there's that one, of course. Any more non-generic modern ones? Or is it just Portal and Time Splitters?

You know, I think it'd be really neat to have a Lucario FPS. It would never happen, of course, due to the fact that it does not match Pokémon's audience (nor genre), but hey, considering his physical abilities and manipulation of aura as a substitute for guns, it would at least make a not-so-generic game.

If you get the chance, pick up Perfect Dark Zero. The game does a lot of things different that make it unique, though it still retains most of the run 'n' gun of most FPSs.

Granted, I'm kindof an FPS nerd, so I'm not sure I count.

Team Fortress 2 doesn't seem generic. It takes a great deal of strategy in order to play effectively.

Code:
tf_birthday 1

There are also various modifications that turn off blood and gibs if you're willing.

Well, here's how I feel about FPS games in general...

I love FPS games. While they do indeed seem to fall almost uniformly into some catagories (Futuristic alien war, World War, etc.), it has never bothered me. Except perhaps the World War thing. I figure 10 games based on World War 2 is enough...

These are the only notable complaints I have about the FPS genre in general-
1. More than one version of a specific type of gun.- Having 6 different makes and models of pistol does not impress me. Half-Life 2 pretty much covers my ideal weapon selection.
2. As previously mentioned, games based on or around World War 2.- Call of Duty did it well enough for me, thanks. Don't need 8 other games.
And... That basically covers it, those two issues.
Other than those, I love the FPS genre. Blasting something away with a shotgun never gets tiring for me.

Honestly, apart from the odd exception, I think the industry in general is suffering from a lack of creativity, the problem doesn't stop at FPSEs. You only have to look at the constant carbon-clone party games and "Me too" clones that saturate the market.

On the subject of FPSEs, I love them. Yes, they follow set archtypes, but then again, so do most genres, and honestly if the game itself is fun, do the visuals really matter that much?

I always found it odd how the vary same people to say "Graphics over gameplay" would condemn a genre for mere looks alone.

Honestly, I would still much rather play Doom I & II over many of the newer FPS games. Halo was appealing for awhile, but I just can't stand it anymore (not to mention it's got some weird plotholes, yet people still act as if it were the best story EVAH), and the more realistic ones like COD just don't do it for me, because I play games to escape reality, not to mimic it.

I would like to get the Orange Box though. Half Life and Portal are definitely cool.

I would say everything on The Orange Box is pretty original.

:SonicMaster: said:
Halo, Resistance, SOCOM, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Half-Life, etc.

:SonicMaster: said:
Maybe if Team Fortress 3 is rated T.

So, if you don't play M games, then who are you to critisize(SP?) a bunch of M rates games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back