[Open Assets] Super Sonic Challenge! v2

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppyfaic

When you first spawn in a map, you'll instantly turn Super! Sounds great, right? Well, there's a catch. You're only given a minumum number of rings to start, and if that ring counter hits 0, you die. Do you think you can make it through the game without running out of rings?

Notes:
-Any character can participate! Even addons like Shadow or Rosy!
-Metal Sonic chickens out against fighting you since you're permanently Super and self-destructs.
-You're given all the emeralds right away, so tokens will always give you 50 rings upon collection.

UPDATE!
SSCH v2 comes with extra console variables to further customize your experience:

ssch_bossaward: This command will adjust how many rings you gain on a boss act. Default is 50.
-Can be any number.
ssch_normalaward: This command will adjust how many rings you gain on normal acts. Default is 10.
-Can be any number.
ssch_keeprings: Allows you to keep your current ring count between acts. Default is Yes.
-Yes: Keep current ring count and apply current award mode.
-No: Lose current ring count and apply current award mode.
ssch_checkpoints: The game will remember your ring count when you touch a checkpoint and will respawn you with that ring count if you die. Default is Yes.
-Yes: Respawn with remembered ring count when you die.
-No: Respawn with minimal ring count for the act.
ssch_awardmode: Determines how rings are handled. Default is IfNeeded.
-Always: You will always receive a ring award upon clearing an act. Good for co-op games.
-TopUp: You will receive enough rings to reach a minimum count for the act, if you are under the minimum. 10 for normal acts, 50 for bosses, 100 for CEZ3.
-IfNeeded: You will only receive the ring award of necessary. For example, if you die at the start of an act.

The whole point of this is just to add a new way to play the game. It's truly a race against the clock in this mode.

Attachments

• srb20004.jpg
    srb20004.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 2,293
  • srb20005.jpg
    srb20005.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 2,148
  • srb20006.jpg
    srb20006.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 2,242
  • SSChallenge.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 2,270
Last edited:
This is actually really interesting to play through the vanilla stages with. Some stages are definitely easier than others (DSZ2 in particular is very strict), but it's great fun to manage going fast and gathering enough rings to stay alive. One thing I wish it would do is save your ring count at a starpost so deaths aren't quite so punishing, but that's definitely a matter of opinion as to whether that's a bad thing.

Welcome to releases!

Haha, nice! I was actually really wanting to play something like this.

Oh man, I forgot I wanted to make something like this, though I think I stole the idea from a Sonic 2 romhack... But who cares who came up with it, this concept is pretty cool! I'm not sure if 10 rings is the best to start with, but I'm not sure if adding more would make it too easy. Regardless, nice work.

I'm not sure if adding more would make it too easy.

It would only require changing "player.health = 11" to "player.health = [some other value]", so it would take pretty much no effort.

Anyway, I tried to do this exact thing before, but it ended up failing. Nice to see someone else made it, it's a pretty neat concept.

Last edited:
I tried a bunch of different ring variables, but ultimately settled on 10. It's difficult to start going, but once you hit your first trail of rings or ring monitor, it's not that hard to keep going on some stages. ERZ2 is the hardest for me, though. I may consider giving the player a few more starting rings for that just so you don't waste rings waiting for all the lights to turn on.

The key to all of the stages is to find the electric shield and just roll with it the whole way through. ERZ2's right path has one in one of the earlier segments.

Even with the attraction shield, ERZ2 is a bitch. I lost fourteen lives in the last stretch of it because I was going too slow the first time. :c

What you could do is grab the emerald in the low gravity segment for another half minute on your clock.

What you could do is grab the emerald in the low gravity segment for another half minute on your clock.

The key for ALL levels, as Blue Warrior said, are the Emeralds. It applies in every zone of the game (Excluding bosses) as the key to complete every single level. (Doesn't include ERZ3/ERC) If you know where are exactly every one of them, you'll not have any problem on finishing every zone. (NOTE: I'm not saying you have to only catch every single emerald in all levels to win so easily like that. Help yourself with an Attraction Shield, and get ALL THE EXISTING rings in the level as long as you can, to achieve victory.

^Hope i helped somebody with that^

Maybe it's because I suck hard while being super but, ERZ3 is uncompletable, you cleary do not have enough Rings to face Metal's pinch attack, remember, over 20 seconds of such useless rape!

Hey, would it be possible to modify the code to work on a single-level basis? And if so, would you mind if I used it in my own level? (which, yes, is the same one I posted in Editing)

But yeah, this is pretty cool. DSZ1 is a bit of a bitch, but this is a really awesome idea.

(and yes, metal's pinch attack is way too long)

Yes. Modifying it to only work on a single map is entirely possible. Should I up the starting ring count for ERZ3? If so, what would be a good number from your guys' experiences?

Last edited:
I think you mean 5/6th of a minute. 1 minute is 60 seconds/rings

No, I mean half a minute, because getting to the emerald token slows things down a bit. It'll only be a net bonus by about 30 or 40 rings.

Yes. Modifying it to only work on a single map is entirely possible. Should I up the starting ring count for ERZ3? If so, what would be a good number from your guys' experiences?

We need something like over 3:30 minutes of Rings.

Fixed iiitt. You now skip the fight in ERZ3(but you still have to race!), and now you die if you run out of rings, instead of if you hit 1 ring. This should make it slightly easier and make the campaign actually completable now.

Last edited:
I actually expected this to be an interesting race for the clock, as in having rings carry over to the next level instead of granting you x rings per level. This could make an interesting play element as you could suppress the player more by adding difficulty levels as well as having the player save up for the notorious ERZ2

I know saving variables is possible, but IDK how to do that. If someone were willing to help I'd gladly implement it.

After a whole, like, 20 months? Suddenly, an update! Big shoutouts to user FSX for rewriting the entire script from scratch, and providing tons of customization features. See the OP for details. This has existed for a very long time, actually, but I never remembered to release it until just now, due to the Vampirism Challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back