Curse Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres already a topic called Suggestions... Though it got soo many "ideas", I hardly bet any dev member has the power to read them all...

Oh they have the power alright.
It's just they don't want to.

Edit: I could be wrong, but I think the curse filter is still there as an option.

I swear don't swear in my threads again!!!!!!!!!
ANNNNGGGRYYYY! (you wouldn't believe it, but I got an infraction for this, ridiculous)

Last edited:
Dude, we can do anything we want to in your thread without fear of retribution as long as it doesn't spark the ire of an actual moderator. I'm not telling you this because I'm trying to be mean-spirited or a douche, but because statements like this will turn your posts and threads into instant trollbait. Also, you did not address SpiritCrusher's question.

I actually agree with you, in that reading designated vulgarities, such as "fuck", "shit", "ass" and so forth is tiring if done excessively. I think that actually applies to all words (like, in real life, I have the nasty habit of saying the fairly harmless expression "oy vey" entirely too often).

But I have no problem with people using these words if it reinforces their reasoning and feelings and is not overdone. A precision "fuck" can add a lot of emphasis to one's written or spoken words. The proper use of vulgar flair can also make reading more fun, which I personally think is perfectly acceptable since life is too goddamned fucking short to be splitting hairs. Of course, you should adjust your language appropriately to the situation at hand.

As for the curse filter, I think it's ultimately unnecessary, for all the reasons outlined above and because language has its own natural filter of sorts. If you have a tendency to use curses in an unsavory manner, or your communication is otherwise unpleasant, people will simply ignore you until you can sufficiently improve on that front. In a free society where everybody's expressed thoughts and ideas have to compete against each other for limited public attention, a lack of acknowledgment can be a far more effective tool at reforming excessively-foul mouths than any systematic attempt at censorship can ever hope to be.

Last edited:
I agree with him. A curse filter's good. I hate when people say those bad words. They're just nasty and show that people who say them have no education. That's too sad.

I agree with him. A curse filter's good. I hate when people say those bad words. They're just nasty and show that people who say them have no education. That's too sad.
I said it, therefore I must have no education, right? I strongly disagree, because I do think of myself as a rather educated person (still in the making though). You know, I understand why someone would be annoyed by the excessive use of cursing (especially if it's done to be cool), but why such a strong reaction against a word? It's just a harmless word. If someone says "fuck", it's like he's having sex in front of you (which would be offensive, but more so because it's disruptive).

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there these commands known as "mute", "kick", and "ban"?

Really, I don't think it's that necessary. I don't mind it occasionally, but I do mind it when it is done excessively and for no reason.

I said it, therefore I must have no education, right? I strongly disagree, because I do think of myself as a rather educated person (still in the making though). You know, I understand why someone would be annoyed by the excessive use of cursing (especially if it's done to be cool), but why such a strong reaction against a word? It's just a harmless word. If someone says "fuck", it's like he's having sex in front of you (which would be offensive, but more so because it's disruptive).
Do me a favor, don't swear, please! It's very offensive

It might be offensive to you, but it's not against the rules here as long as it's not completely excessive, and since we're talking about swearing, it makes perfect sense to name the swears we're talking about. If you're talking about the word "fuck", it just is easier to say "fuck" than go with all the roundabout ways people reference it.

Do me a favor, don't swear, please! It's very offensive
Now, can you give me a reason why it is offensive? As I said, excessive cursing is annoying, but I don't think it's offensive in its own right. Also, just saying "fuck" in the way I do (as in, talking about the word) is not swearing.

What he meant about swearing is because everytime you say "f***" he feels uncomfortable (I also feel like this). Sometimes there are people like us. To be kind is the key :D

That's also wrong. They sure read it. They just don't implement the suggestions.

Wait, did you say I am wrong by being right?
When I said the power, I meant to read all the suggestions, not implement the suggestions.

jcokeinfinity said:
I swear don't swear in my threads again!!!!!!!!!
ANNNNGGGRYYYY! (you wouldn't believe it, but I got an infraction for this, ridiculous)

Nono, I find that totally believable. Your post has more than 3 "!'s" and I bet Angry typed like that had something to do with it too. Please calm down.

Colson said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there these commands known as "mute", "kick", and "ban"?--
=/=
Mystic said:
It might be offensive to you, but it's not against the rules here as long as it's not completely excessive...

Wait, are we talking about the forums or the netgame of Srb2 itself?

What he meant about swearing is because everytime you say "f***" he feels uncomfortable (I also feel like this). Sometimes there are people like us. To be kind is the key :D
This community allows curse words, so that's something you have to live with. I sure won't use them just for fun, but I'll use them if I find it's appropriate. Also, feeling uncomfortable about a word looks totally irrational to me.

When I said the power, I meant to read all the suggestions, not implement the suggestions.
Yeah, and that's wrong. They do read the suggestions.

On paper, jcokeinfinity's complaint would appear to be legitimate. I mean, there are some little kids on this site. But in practice, this is absurd; the SRB2 Message Board is one of the most mature websites out there. The kind of cursing done around here, though it could always have been replaced with a politer word, doesn't have to be if the situation warrants strong emotion. I mean, yeah, when a guy is spewing sailor talk in a totally inappropriate situation, drop an infraction on him, but an occasional curse here and there is fine--it gets the job done.

I agree, there is no reason to put up the curse filter as long as people don't use it excessively, just like SpiritCrusher said.

Also, feeling uncomfortable about a word looks totally irrational to me.

You just don't get it, don't you? People like jcokeinfinity and me aren't concerned with it as a word, but as an insult that doesn't seems polite. But ok, the rules allow it to happen, and I have no choice. I can live with it. The problem is that jcokeinfinity seems to stay uncomfortable. I think that's difficult for him to live with this words around him everytime. That's the point.

And another thing: It is not irrational. You aren't the only person in the world. What's irrational for you can be the essentials for some people.

In my opinion there isn't no need for any Curse filter. But lets look at this way.

Against:-
- Curse filters won't do much as people could count the stars (Not like they will) and figure out the word.

-Curse filters are just replacing letters with stars? Most games don't have curse filter so that they don't gotta spend ages coding each swearing combo. Like ''fuck'' could be ''kucf'' or something like that.

-As mentioned above the filter won't be very productive.

For:-

-Some people are offended to swearing in any form.

-It can stop offensive language (Well almost)

-People will just give up.

P.S:-''Ass and crap'' arn't swearing words there curses or descriptive words

The word "fuck" is one of those words you have to live with. There is always somebody that is going to say it and the word "fuck" gives personal opinions a stronger feeling. If you really can't stand this jcokeinfinity and anybody else, you can just leave the message board and not worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back