SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.0.X) > Miscellaneous (2.0.X)

Shield and Ghost ability SOCs Details »»
Shield and Ghost ability SOCs
Developer Last Online: Mar 2017

Version: SRB2 Rating: (1 votes - 3.40 average)
Released: 09-29-2010 Last Update: Never Installs: 2
SOCs Re-Useable Content

-Shield-
An attempt at porting an old ringslinger soc I made in 1.09. Generates a rotating shield around the player which can be used to plow through enemies or block projectiles. Intended to be used as a spinitem.

-Ghost-
A character using this ability will flash for one second, during which they are immune to damage. The ability will continuously re-apply itself until the spindash ends if used as a spinitem.

There are two downloads provided: socs.zip includes the socs only, while examples.zip includes two recolors of Tails which demonstrate what a character who uses these abilities might play like.

Download Now

File Type: zip socs.zip (724 Bytes, 601 views)
File Type: zip examples.zip (194.4 KB, 158 views)

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 09-30-2010   #2
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

I'd like to at least see an example character for each ability, and if it's only a Sonic clone.
Old 09-30-2010   #3
Katmint

Okay then, I added the copies of tails.plr I used to test the SOCs, except with different prefcolors so the skins don't get mixed up.
Old 09-30-2010   #4
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Okay then, with an example WAD, the SOCs are acceptable for Releases. If you want to tinker around with it a bit, you could try modifying the shield ability so that it also hurts Snappers, which are currently to small to be hit. Also, if it's possible, you could try making the missiles vanish after a bit.
Old 09-30-2010   #5
A Cat
Permanently Banned

OOOOOOOOOH. This is cool. I want to make a wad like this.
Old 10-01-2010   #6
Metal-Rawr
Friendly lurker, I promise.

I don't see how 1 second of being ghost helps especially if you need to stop in place, it doesnt help me dodge something like brak eggman's sticky shots that way and alot more.
Old 10-02-2010   #7
PHCC
Too fast for you to see me.

But 1 second is just a too little time, even if the jump need to be very short to this ability work properly, it still a too little time. Make it about 50 tics of duration, or just 48(1.5 sec).
Old 10-02-2010   #8
Autosaver

Quote:
In any case, that's more of an additional feature of the ghost ability, its main intended use is for a quick defense against an incoming projectile, such as a Jetty-Syn Gunner bullet or red rings in match.
So yeah, the protection isn't supposed to be for a long period of time. Its for quick fire.

Here is an example.
You are playing match, and someone shoots a ring at you. You activate it right before it hits you and you are protected.
You are platforming and a Jetty shoots a bullet at you. You quickly use the ability to be protected from falling off the platform.

...Am I seeing it right?
Old 11-05-2010   #9
Metal-Rawr
Friendly lurker, I promise.

Okay, finally noticed the example wads, and hosted a no internet co-op game to test them, and here's what I found:
Changing skin after having missles around you stay when you change skin (I guess that can't be fixed, but its a source to the next issue...)
If a player with missles around him dies, the missles stay in place and hurt even the one who spawned them. (once he respawns)
I don't think thats a glitch, but the missles also have no effect on brak eggman, not to mention the fact your'e being shrinked makes the missles way too far from you to actually provide protection.
I actually found some of those funny to use, and its indeed a nice soc ability.